Chapter 4 - Jong Dae's luck

When Jong Dae becomes Chen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N : For BG music, please play this because Chen's wonderful voice and all of EXO-M is good accompaniment.

 

Jong Dae couldn't even remember how long he had been in this dorm. How long had he been religiously going to practice at the centre for trainees every day? All he knew was that it feels like years when it was probably only five months in the middle of September. 

How am I going to last for 4 years? Jong Dae thought sourly, I can barely even keep up this five months. What if takes longer? I'm so tired. 

"Jong Dae, why are you wailing?" Baek Hyun asked from his side of his room. Jong Dae looked away shyly. He always seemed to accidently say out his thoughts or show his feelings. He had tried his best to hide in front of Baek Hyun but spluttering out his innermost fears is what he seemed to be doing these days. And he was annoyed at himself. 

"It's nothing, Baek Hyun." Jong Dae got up from lying on his precious bed. He started to really develop a deep relationship with his bed because it was the only relieve from the tiring training days. "I better get to my vocal class."

"Neh, have fun." Baek Hyun said half-heartedly while reading his favourite book. Baek Hyun had been trying to convince Jong Dae to read the book too but Jong Dae thinks that anything except sleeping was a waste of time. He already felt like a walking robot, singing and dancing on demand and the only time he could choose what he wanted to do are those beautiful moments called 'down time'. While Baek Hyun found filling his down time with reading and watching shows or any other useless activities, Jong Dae used it to charge up his over-worked body.

"Annyeong~" Jong Dae shouted to Baek Hyun as he left the dorm and pulled on his sneakers. He walked happily with a bounce on his step since it was a beautiful day.  He inserted ear buds into his ears with the latest song he was practicing with and hummed on the walk to the subway station. When his favourite part of the song came, he closed his eyes and sang along softly as usual but this morning, he ended up bumping into someone. He opened his eyes with shock and was about to apologize when the boy in front of him shot off without a backward glance. Odd, Jong Dae whispered to himself. He resumed walking but stepped on something. He bent down and picked up a black beaded bracelet with little skulls on them. Jong Dae was about to throw it in a bin nearby but it was pretty so he decided to keep it.

Upon reaching the subway station, he sat at one of the benches and waited for his train which according to the board would be here in twenty minutes. He was laughing at a text Joon Myeon hyung just sent him about seeing an animal that look like a cross between a raccoon and a beaver. Jong Dae looked around and leaning to a pillar was someone that looked oddly familiar. He thought hard of whom that could be before it came to him.

"YOU!" he accidently shouted at that boy. The boy looked up and Jong Dae nodded at him before walking towards him. "I bumped you on the street earlier. I didn't have a chance to say this but I'm sorry."

The boy, although a little young has really good looks. His lips curved into a small smile.

"It's alright. I was in a hurry too." The younger looking boy replied, waving his arm and Jong Dae could hear a slight lisp. Suddenly the boy looked down at his arm with a shock and scared expression before looking around the floor.

"Did you lose something? Can I help?" Jong Dae offered. At the corner of his eye, he could see the train still needs ten minutes to arrive.

"I lost a bracelet. It's black and beaded with silver skulls." The stranger said whilst searching all the nearby benches. 

Jong Dae got hold of the stranger's arm. "Wait, do you mean this?" Jong Dae pulled out the bracelet he picked up earlier on the street from his pocket and showed it to him.

"YES! Thank you." The stranger who's face that used to be all cool started to light up from happiness and Jong Dae noticed just how young and adorable he was when he was genuinely smiling.

"Where did you find it?" The boy was already busy putting it back on.

"When we bumped into each other earlier. I saw something on the floor and picked it up. Turns out, it was yours." Jong Dae smiled at the younger boy.

"Thank you for picking it up, most people would have probably just step over it. By the way, I'm Sehun. Oh Sehun." He introduced himself with a bow. Jong Dae bowed back slightly. "I wear this all the time so I would be devastated if I lost it. It brings me good luck." A/N : Here is some proof of Sehun wearing the bracelet all the time > (1) (2) (3) (4)

"It must have been from someone important for you to care so much about it." Jong Dae commented. 

Sehun's expression changed slightly but it was gone as fast as it came, replaced again by his stoic look. Jong Dae swear he saw sadness for a brief moment from the younger boy's face. "It is just something to get me through the hard trainee days."

"You're a trainee?" Jong Dae asked in shock. Sehun nodded. "So am I but you're so young."

"It's never too early to achieve your dreams." Sehun said, wistfully. "Since you’re taking this train too, you must be a SM trainee, why haven't I seen you before?"

"Oh," Jong Dae said with an awkward laugh. "I am the latest batch of accepted trainees. My name is Kim Jong Dae."

Kim. Jong. Dae? He is KIM JONG DAE?, Sehun thought, appalled.

"You're... Kim... Jong... Dae?"

"Yes." Jong Dae was startled by Sehun's expression. "Why?"

Sehun quickly shook his head hard, looking for an escape. Just then, the train came and he jumped into his carriage without saying anything, leaving the dumb-founded Jong Dae behind. He quickly took a window seat and calmed himself down. Two voices were arguing in his head.

That hyung was so nice.

Don't be fooled! You heard the rumours—he is the new trainee that steps on others to get attention.

But he was so thoughtful and normal. Maybe the rumours are wrong.

There are so many people who say he is stuck-up and rude, they can't all be lying.

Or can they?

Sehun decided to push it out of his mind. He hated that he owed Jong Dae for saving one of his most cared about possession. Sehun hated owing other people favours even if they don't expect it to be returned. For as long as he had lived, he had returned every favour and he was consumed with guilt knowing this time it would be an exception.

It's better if he stayed away from someone that was a hot topic like that. Sehun just wanted to stay low-key and wow the SM people with his talent and debut soon. He would just have to avoid Jong Dae at all costs which is easy since they don't have any class together… Yet. 

Odds are we will never see each other again, Sehun hoped. 

 

~~~

 

After that odd encounter with that Sehun kid, Jong Dae's good mood depleted slightly. He couldn't really pay attention on anything but why Sehun would act like that when he found out who Jong Dae was. He didn't even hear Joon Myeon hyung blabbering about something until his hyung shook him. "Neh, hyung?"

"Did you hear anything I said?" Joon Myeon asked, with an annoyed expression that doesn't match his angelic face. Jong Dae smiled apologetically to Joon Myeon. "I asked whether you want to come over to my dorm to see that raccoon-beaver thing I saw this morning."

"Oh, I don't know. I promised to have lunch with Baek Hyun." Jong Dae said uncertainly. He was really inte

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter