Chapter 2 - Jong Dae...who?

When Jong Dae becomes Chen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Did you guys hear about that new boy, Jong Dae?"

"Yah, I heard there is a new trainee that got into the advanced vocal class straightaway? Is it true?"

"How good can he be? He is probably related to the higher ups or bribed them."

"Jong Dae oppa sounds pretty ordinary. Not like some of the older trainees with their amazing good looks."

"That Jong Dae is just a..."

 

 

"JONG DAE! JONG DAE! Did you hear?" Baek Hyun burst into their room in the dorm that all the new trainees live in.

"What?" Jong Dae muttered, annoyed that Baek Hyun had interrupted him in the middle of practicing some songs.

"EVERYONE IS TALKING ABOUT YOU!" Baek Hyun grinned widely. He was practically bouncing as he perch on one end of Jong Dae's bed. "They are all wondering who you are since you are the first to go straight into advanced vocal class in years."

"Why are you so excited?" Jong Dae asked with a sour tone. "I've heard them talking about me. None of them knows how I look like yet so they don't even realize I was there. Most of the things they say are negative anyway."

"But that is GOOD!" Baek Hyun exclaimed. Jong Dae look at his friend, puzzled. "People only say bad things about people they envy. They are just jealous that they don't have a voice as powerful as yours."

Baek Hyun looked down suddenly and added. "Even I envy you."

"Well, I would prefer to not be talked about constantly." Jong Dae retorted. It wasn't pleasant to wake up every day and hearing people debate about him in spite of the fact that they were talking in front of him. He was afraid of his first vocal class today; everyone will know his face then.

Will they start saying those spiteful rubbish to his face? Or would they throw rotten tomatoes straight at him for stealing their spotlight when he was only just a newbie while everyone else earned their position to be in advanced vocal class through hard work and time?

"They won't do that. I will protect you." Baek Hyun said suddenly. Jong Dae gaped at him. Did Baek Hyun read my mind? 

"Jong Dae ah, don't look like that. You spoke your innermost thoughts aloud. You tend to do that a lot." Jong Dae just smiled sheepishly back. "Like I said, I won't let them harm you. I will be there for you, alright?"

"But you're in the intermediate class. I will have to face all those angry sunbaes in the advanced vocal class alone." Jong Dae whined. If Baek Hyun was there, at least Jong Dae would have someone to talk to instead a class full of people shooting daggers at him.

"I will come by to your class to pick you up as soon as it's over and we'll go for lunch together. My class ends half an hour earlier so I will be there waiting for you at the doors for you to be released. Don't worry." Baek Hyun reassured the frightened boy, feeling bad for the male who he had gotten to know these past few days of being roommates. Jong Dae was the sweetest and nicest—maybe a little bit idiotic but still very adorable—person that he had the pleasure to meet. He was afraid Jong Dae would be eaten alive by all those desperate older trainees who craved attention. Baek Hyun vowed to take care of Jong Dae, as much as he could. They might be the same age but Baek Hyun was just a little bit tougher than Jong Dae was. He just hoped that he would be there every time Jong Dae fell down to pick him up.

 

~~~

 

Jong Dae hesitated outside "Room 3 - Advanced Vocals". He could hear voices coming from the inside accompanied by laughter but he knew all that would change as soon as he stepped into the class. He recollected his thoughts and readied himself for the worst possible scenario before pushing open the heavy metal door, revealing about twenty or so good looking guys and girls staring at him. It took them a while to finally realise it but the damage was already done. They know now that he was the boy they were talking about for the pass week after the news circulated that a mere newbie is joining the advanced vocal class. 

They know he is Kim Jong Dae.

And that scared Jong Dae more than anything did.

"So you are the infamous Kim Jong Dae." said a tall buff guy sauntered towards Jong Dae arrogantly. The buff guy spoke Jong Dae's name as if he was spitting out venom. Jong Dae could feel himself screaming in the inside but he tried to keep a calm façade on the outside, hoping that this would stop people from messing with him.

"I expected someone to at least be decent looking but you're not much of a competition, eh?" The buff guy smirked at Jong Dae, looking at him like he was dirt beneath his feet.

"Leave him alone." A lovely yet stern voice suddenly said and Jong Dae turned to the nice stranger helping him out. It was a male, maybe a little older, of similar height with him. The newcomer radiated an aura of respect and Jong Dae suspected he must be one of the more experienced trainees.

"He just got here. Why don't you go pick on someone your own size, Ryeo Bin?" The buff guy or Ryeo Bin walked away with his group of mean looking people mumbling about how they never get to have some fun with newbies.

"Are you okay?" Jong Dae whipped his head to face the nice sunbae that helped him. "I'm...fine." he stuttered. Jong Dae looked at the sunbae who was smiling, oozing a pleasant vibe; giving the younger Korean a feeling of warmth, of comfort, of protection.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter