Chapter 8 - Jong Dae's nightmare

When Jong Dae becomes Chen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N : Sorry for the long wait. The reason I wanted to wait until today to post it is because today is exactly 2 months since I have joined AFF and posted this story; look how far I've come. It's a special day.

 

"What do we do? "

"I don't know."

"What if he doesn't show up?"

"I don't know."

"Should we go find him?"

"I don't know, Sehun, I don't know." Baek Hyun looked at the younger who was busy panicking. It was the day that they have to dance for the CEO and the trainer. All the other trainees had all arrived and are loitering around the practice room. All except one guy; all except Jong Dae. When Baek Hyun was getting ready to leave the dorm this morning, he had wanted to wait for Jong Dae and leave together but Jong Dae insisted he go first. Jong Dae mentioned something about getting some breakfast on the way. Now that he thought about it, Baek Hyun should have been more suspicious since Jong Dae hated breakfast unless forced to eat it.

"Hyung, the CEO would be here in half an hour. What am I suppose to say then?" Sehun's usual calm demeanor was replaced by a worried expression that reminded Baek Hyun just how young he actually were.

"I believe Jong Dae. He will show up." Baek Hyun said as confidently as possible and flashed a reassuring smile to Sehun's direction. Sehun looked a little relieved from Baek Hyun's words. Baek Hyun just hoped his friend doesn't dissapoint him.

"Hey you two, where's Jong Dae?" Joon Myeon walked over and looked around the room once more. Jong Dae was the only trainee not here. He knew Jong Dae tend to be late but not when it was this important. Baek Hyun was trying to decide whether he should just confess the truth to Joon Myeon or cover up for Jong Dae when a voice behind him gave him a jump.

"I'm here." Baek Hyun turned and was faced with a tired and soulless-looking Jong Dae. Baek Hyun did not know whether to be relieved or worried.

"Jong Dae, you don't look okay. Did you not sleep well?" Joon Myeon put a hand on Jong Dae's forehead and he was a little warm.

"I'm just tired, hyung. I'll be fine." Jong Dae purposely avoided both Baek Hyun and Sehun's gaze and walked over to the side of the room and took a seat on the bench. He put on his earplugs in hope that they won't be able to question him or approach him because it was only so much he could take before he snapped. It was already painful that he had to distance himself from the two people that he cared about and now he might have to hurt them in the process. Jong Dae was trying hard to make this as painless as possible for them by slowly drifting away so that the only one ended up getting hurt would be himself.

"Should we go talk to him?" Sehun whispered to Baek Hyun while glancing uneasily at Jong Dae who had his eyes closed and listening to music.

"No." Baek Hyun stated. "I know Jong Dae. He is acting like this because something happened. He wouldn't tell us so it must be about us. We need to find out about this by ourselves, he wouldn't tell us knowing how stubborn he is."

"How do we do that?"

"You let me worry about that, Sehun ah. You just make sure he don't screw the dance up. I have a bad feeling that something would happen." Baek Hyun looked over at Jong Dae and he looked relatively calm about the whole thing. Just a week ago he was worried sick about dancing for the CEO. Something has changed.

Seeing Baek Hyun's expression, Sehun suddenly understood what he meant. "You think he would purposely screw up the dance?"

"Yes."

"I need to stop him."

"Yes, you do."

"How, hyung?"

Baek Hyun's lips curved up into a smile. "Give him a reason to care again."

 

~~~

 

"Hyung, are you ready?" Sehun prodded Jong Dae and he just nodded without looking at the younger boy. It was going to be their turn soon and it worried Sehun. "I believe you can do it, you improved a lot." Jong Dae nodded again without emotion and Sehun knew he had to change tactic. "I just heard from the dance instructor that," Sehun thought for a while and decided lying was his best option,"that they would not judge us individually but as a partner." Jong Dae's eyes widen hearing this and Sehun smiled inwardly that it made an impact. "We have to do well together to go to the next stage. Let's do out best, okay? Hwaiting!"

Jong Dae looked at Sehun directly for the first time that day and nodded. He excused himself for a bathroom break and left the younger boy. Jong Dae cursed quietly that his initial plan of ruining his dance routine would be no use. He had to ruin his debut chances to protect his friends but if it was going to jeopardize Sehun's future then he can't bring himself to do it. He had to change his plan. It was like a weight was lifted because he doesn't have to pretend anymore but at the same time it was another problem thrown at him. This was not good at all.

Jong Dae got out of the bathroom feeling worse than before. He looked at Sehun who was busy warming up and dread flooded through him. Jong Dae knew that Sehun was finally accepting him, they might not be great friends but at least the initial barrier were gone. Sehun might have lifted his barrier and let Jong Dae in but Jong Dae had to put up his own barriers not to protect himself but to protect him. The anonymous emails are flooding in daily now reminding him to do as ask or his friends would suffer the consequences. He turned to look at Joon Myeon and Kyung Soo laughing by the water dispenser and sighed. They were also added onto the list of people who were threatened if he did not do what was asked. Jong Dae felt someone else's gaze on him and turn to see his best friend staring at him with sad eyes. Jong Dae's brain screamed at him to tell Baek Hyun the truth and maybe they can solve it together. He knew Baek Hyun would be there for him but he had too much to risk. Jong Dae looked away with a look of indiference but inside his heart was hurting.

"Good morning all." The dance instructor greeted them while walking into the practice room with the CEO in tow. The instructor brought the CEO to a chair at the front of the room that made it possible to watch the entire room in motion. "You were given a week to practice the dance routine I showed you with a partner and I hope the two of you used the time wisely and managed to work together to produce good results. Shall we start with the first pair?" The dance instructor randomly called a pair forward and they moved to the centre of the room before dancing the routine. When one pair ends, the next pair moved forward to replace them until eventually it was Jong Dae and Sehun's turn.

"Good luck, hyung." Sehun whispered before taking his position. Jong Dae took a deep breath and willed himself to do well. Everything was different now, he had to do good. The routine start with them giving each other high-fives and it went on with the strong dance moves. To everyone watching it was obvious that Sehun was better but Jong Dae danced with such passion to do well that is showed. It was surprising how good they look dancing next to each other. Baek Hyun was happy that his plan worked and Jong Dae was dancing with so much determination even if he made Sehun tell a little white lie. Now if he could only cook up a plan to think of a way to find out what was going on with Jong Dae.

Jong Dae felt a vibration on his pocket and he stil

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter