Chapter 3 - Jong Dae's wake up call

When Jong Dae becomes Chen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N : I SWEAR THIS ISN'T A BAEKCHEN FANFIC. It's just I am trying to find the right time to introduce other members without it being too fake and I want it more natural. Bear with me, please?

 

It seemed like proving himself at the advanced vocal class only made things worse. Every trainee either was now amazed with Jong Dae's ability in singing or hated Jong Dae's guts because of the attention he was getting although he had only been there for a few months. The latter had proven to be much more prominent.

It had been three months since Jong Dae became a trainee and he still got odd looks from others. Jong Dae was not used to it but he tried his best to push away all the negative thoughts that kept knocking on the part of his brain that should be worrying about remembering a dozen different dance steps— so that he isn’t screamed at by the Dance Monster—and how to achieve wider range with his voice. Yet, he help himself from thinking about all the things people said about him no matter how hard he tried to will those thoughts away. It was like a big rock weighing him down and he was just not strong enough to lift it by his own. The only thing that kept him sane for the last three months was—

"JONG DAE AH~" Baek Hyun called him affectionately and gave him a hug as soon as he came back from practice. He smelled of sweat and hardwork.*

"How was your day?" Jong Dae found himself smiling as soon as Baek Hyun walked into their shared room—which was a big effort since he had been feeling rather down due to some anonymous emails he got that wasn't very pleasant or nice or age appropriate.

"DAEBAK!" Baek Hyun shouted. He was on a high.

"You know how today the first day I moved into intermediate dance class is?" Jong Dae nodded sadly. The dance monster decided last week that Baek Hyun improved enough to move up and now Jong Dae lost a friend in a class he dreaded the most because the other trainees in his beginner class was either too intimidated by him or annoyed at him so making friends was tougher that he expected.

"Well, I thought I would fall behind since everyone in that class was more experienced but I cached up right away with a little help from this creepy smiling giant."

Jong Dae nodded half-heartedly but then stilled. "Creepy smiling...giant?"

Baek Hyun laughed hard and in between cackles he stuttered. "Yeah, he has a cool outlook but he ruins it by having this big creepy smiling face on most of the time. He looked more idiotic than you whom I never thought were possible but he proved me wrong. He was really helpful and nice though."

A pillow flew from Jong Dae's direction and hit Baek Hyun squarely on his face. "YAH!"

"I am not idiotic." Jong Dae replied with a grin.

Baek Hyun huffed but returned smiling while dragging his chair to sit next to Jong Dae who was on his laptop. "I will introduce you to the creepy smiling giant soon. I think you will like him. We are the same age and he is..."

Baek Hyun suddenly stopped and Jong Dae looked at him. Baek Hyun was staring at Jong Dae's laptop screen. His face was red, fuming mad red. Jong Dae quickly closed the laptop and walked out of their room but just as he expected, Baek Hyun followed him.

"WHO WAS THAT?" Baek Hyun shouted. Jong Dae kept walking, hoping Baek Hyun would drop it but to no avail when Baek Hyun grabbed Jong Dae's arm and stopped him from leaving. "I said; who is that bastard?"

"Language." Jong Dae tut-tutted.

"Oh, that word was just a warm up to what I could say about him." Baek Hyun threatened. Jong Dae looked at his friend, shell-shocked. For the months that he had been roommates with Baek Hyun, he had only seen him mad once and that was because the vocal trainer insulted his voice, deeming it only 'acceptably adequate'. Baek Hyun was now ten times madder than before and it wasn't even something to do with him.

"It's nothing, Baek Hyun ah. Do you want some patbingsu since you must be tired from training so long?" Jong Dae flashed Baek Hyun the brightest smile he could muster and tried to free his arm from Baek Hyun's tight grip but Baek Hyun just tightens his hold.

"Damn it, Jong Dae. It is not nothing when someone threatened you through email and I quote 'wants to stab you with a knife so that you would stop showing your freaking face and act like you sing like a god when you are no better than a diseased rabid dog'. Why do you keep doing this to yourself?" Baek Hyun replied, grabbed hold of both Jong Dae’s arms, and shook him a little.

"Stop bottling all this up and tell me about it. You are worrying me." Jong Dae looked up from the floor and his usually lively eyes were b with tears. A tear drop escaped his left eye and rolled down his cheek. Baek Hyun rubbed it away and sighed. He then dragged the limp Jong Dae back to their room in fear of other trainees walking in their dorm and seeing the quietly sobbing Jong Dae who was still trying to keep himself from breaking down. 

Jong Dae followed Baek Hyun quietly and obliged when Baek Hyun asked him to sit on his bed. Baek Hyun then moved the chair and positioned himself in front of Jong Dae. 

"It's okay to cry." Baek Hyun said softly a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter