Introduction

When Jong Dae becomes Chen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N : This is before Jong Dae was a trainee. It explains how he entered SM Company. Well enjoy!

 

"Here." Jong Dae looked up to see Ji Hyo shoving a flyer to his face.

"Noona, what is this?" Jong Dae asked while glancing at the flyer that Ji Hyo placed in front of him. He was sitting in the public library studying before being rudely interrupted by her.

"It's a singing competition." Ji Hyo looked all excited while Jong Dae looked at her confused. "Idiot, don't you understand? I think you should join!" Jong Dae picked up the flyer again and looked at it. 

 

 

"You're crazy." Jong Dae replied briefly before going back to studying. He winced in pain when Ji Hyo hit him at the back of his head, hard.

"Listen," Ji Hyo started while turning Jong Dae's chair to face her. "You sing all the time. Your voice is beautiful. In fact, it’s so beautiful that after you sang for our school's year end festival last year, half the girls in school are now your fans! You have what it takes to be an idol and you have always wanted to be a singer. Now that a great opportunity has finally come, why not seize it?" Ji Hyo ended her speech and looked at Jong Dae expectantly.

Jong Dae turned away from her and covered his face with the first book he saw. He then slowly whispered, "I'm not good enough."

"What?" Ji Hyo asked with surprise evident in her voice. She thought she wasn't hearing him right. Jong Dae had always been proud of his voice and he deserved to be. This was the first time she had ever heard him having doubts on his raw talent.

"I'm scared," he began, whispering softly into his Chemistry book but still loud enough for Ji Hyo to catch every word. "Noona, what if I go and audition but I am not good enough? What if my dreams of being a singer, a recognised one will forever remain a dream because I had deluded myself into thinking that I am good? What if I am actually just kidding myself this entire time? I can't face the idea of being told that I can't be a singer. This is the only thing I want to do. I want spend the rest of my life singing. If I can't do it… If I am not good enough, then who am I? Just who exactly is Kim Jong Dae…?" 

As the more he continued to talk, the more his voiced cracked and Ji Hyo could really see that Jong Dae was afraid.

"You listen to me." Jong Dae looked up at Ji Hyo noona's stern tone—Ji Hyo who treats him like a real dongsaeng even though they shared no blood ties at all because Jong Dae only had a brother and his brother wasn't really the affectionate type. More of the throw-you-in-the-forest-so-you-will-learn-to-survive-on-your-own type to be precise—Ji Hyo is someone who Jong Dae respected and looked up to. 

"You are good, more than good. You are amazing. When you sing, I swear, I wish you were an iPod so that I can put you on repeat. When you sing, even the birds stop to listen. Don't lose confidence in yourself. You are and always will be an extraordinary singer. You just need to believe in yourself."

"I can't." Jong Dae repeated. "I just can't. I'm not ready."

Ji Hyo sighed. "Fine. What about I make you a deal? If you audition for this singing competition, I will go to that audition for that drama you told me about. Deal?"

Jong Dae gaped at his noona. For the past month, Jong Dae had been trying to get Ji Hyo noona to enter in any audition for dramas and movies he could find beca

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter