Birthday (Baekhyun Edition)

What's for Breakfast? [ChanBaek Oneshot/Drabble Series]
Please log in to read the full chapter

First of all, many thanks to baekyeolprompts.tumblr.com for the amazing prompts and for giving me a backbone for this story. <3


May 27th.

"That's the last of the graduation shipment, Chanyeol." Kyungsoo says as he walks into the office.

"Thanks, buddy." The taller says, kicking back on his chair with a cup of coffee in hand.

"Has that store clerk realized that you're writing these cards about him yet?"

"Nope." Chanyeol mumbles as he sips his coffee.

"It's been over a year, Chanyeol. Maybe you should just giv--"

"Nope." The taller answers the exact same way.

 

 

May 28th. 

"Good morning and--oh, hi Chanyeol!" The raven-haired boy greets with his trademark eye smile. Chanyeol's heart dies a little on the inside as he waves back and flashes his signature smile. It's been over a year since Chanyeol started his greeting card company, PC Cards, and it's been just as long since he's continuously visited this quaint little gift shop in Hongdae owned by some bratty guy named Oh Sehun. The thing is that the store clerk, Baekhyun, who worked there had Chanyeol tripping over his already clumbsy limbs ever since he had laid eyes on the boy. Since then, PC Cards began rising in the ranks of greeting card companies and after a year, is almost rivalling Hallmark in sales. People absolutely love the sentiments written on the cards, from Christmas to Easter. No one knows, however, that all of the sentiments are directed directly at the raven-haired boy that Chanyeol was secretly gawking over at this very moment. Anyways, back to the story.

"How's it going, Baek?" The red-head asks, heading over to the card section.

"The usual. I can't believe I'm graduating this year! Ahh! I'm so excited to finally finish school!" The shorter replies and Chanyeol can hear the sheer joy in Baekhyun's voice, sending him flying past Pluto. The taller chuckles as he picks up a card from the shelf.

"Maybe I should get you a grad gift?" Chanyeol nonchalantly asks as he hears footsteps nearing him.

"Oh, no, no, no! You don't need to! Speaking of which, we just got a new shipment from PC Cards again! Just in time for grad!" Baekhyun says, dropping a box beside the taller, making him flinch from the sound. Baekhyun snickers as he pulls an exacto knife from his back pocket to cut the box open. He pulls out the top card and reads the inside, as Chanyeol watches in anticipation beside him. 

"The years of essays and exams were tough, but couldn't hold you down,
Now it's time to rock that cap and gown!

Congratulations because you're graduating,
Worry about jobs later, now's the time for celebrating!"

"Wow, this card fits me so well..." Baekhyun says, re-reading the sentiment over and smiling widely, "It's like this card was tailor made just for me." Chanyeol flashes a grin and takes the card out of the shorter's hand chuckling at the sentiment that, unbeknowest to the raven-haired male, he wrote for aforementioned boy. He gives Baekhyun back the card as he walks back towards the entrance, saying that he'll come back later to grab a card because he needs to get to work. Bidding the smaller boy goodbye, he exits the store with a little extra hop in his step.

 

 

December 24th.

"Oh hi, Chanyeol! What are you doing here on Christmas Eve?" Baekhyun says as he walks out from the back.

"Just came by to see my favorite store clerk, that's all." The taller says and he thinks he can see the faintest blush from the smaller's cheeks, who just giggles.

"Don't you have to be at home for Christmas?"

"My family all moved to Canada. I don't think I ever told you that, did I?"

"Oh... No you didn't." Baekhyun says and Chanyeol mentally facepalms, because, man did that ever make him sound lonely as hell, "But, I guess you're not alone, since my parents are also in Canada. I think I mentioned that before right?" The smaller beams.

"Ahh I..uhh...didn't know that either!" Chanyeol chuckles nervously and, dammit now's your chance! Ask him out! Ask him out! "Well in that case...umm...would...you...uhh...would..." Baekhyun notices how nervous the taller sounds as he's now standing face to face with him and looking up half expectantly.

"Would I?"

"Wouldyouliketogooutwithmeifyourefreeandofcourseyourenotfreebecauseyoureworkingrightnowandmaybeafter--" The taller sputters out before feeling a small hand covering his mouth, his ears completely red.

"I didn't get a thing you just said. How about you say that again, but slowly?" Baekhyun asks smiling, releasing his hand from the taller's mouth.

"Uhh...nevermind! Sorry! I gotta go...uhh...do...something...uhh...bye!" Chanyeol stumbles over his feet as he nervously rushes out of the door, not noticing the smaller boy's face falling as he turns and heads back to the backroom to continue closing up. When Baekhyun finishes up in the back and has his jacket on, he walks by the front to lock the door and notices something on the counter. Walking over, he sees a red envelope with his name on it

Please log in to read the full chapter