Jay Hyung

When The Son Loves His Mother

Jimin was hidding himself behind his mother's back.

"Don't be scared.", she whispered to him when she turned to her son and patted his head. "They are nice people."

Jimin looked back to the old man and to the boy who were infront of his mother. The old man was frowning while the boy was smiling friendly.

"So, you are Jimin right?", asked the boy and came closer. In fear Jimin hold the t-shirt of his mother tighter and burried his face in her back.

"You don't have to be scared.", assured the boy. "We won't bite you."

Minhee was still patting Jimin's head to calm him down. Since the cruel incident with his grandparents he couldn't trust people that easily anymore.

"Why are we here Umma?", asked Jimin with a shaky voice. This was the first time since he left their appartment.

"We'll be living here now.", Minhee explained and bend down. "This will be our new home, Jimin."

Shaking a bit he looked to the old man who was still frowning. "Really?", he asked the old man.

The frown of the old man didn't disappeared when he talked. "Yes, you can live here."

"Are you hungry? Do you want to eat something?", asked the boy and Jimin looked at him. This boy had a nice smile.

But Jimin looked back to his mother. He was only trusting her and when she allowed him to eat, he would do it.

She nodded her head and Jimin also nodded his head.

"Great, then come with me.", said the boy but Jimin refused. 

"I don't go without my Umma.", he said and looked up to her.

"You can trust him Jimin. He's nice, he won't hurt you."

"But Umma-"

"Don't you hear what your mother says?", asked the old man with a growl. "Go and eat. I have to talk to your mother."

Jimin winced at the harsh tone of the elder but obeyed when he saw his mother nodding again and giving him a little smile.

"Let's go", the boy was streching his hand out so Jimin could take it. After some hesistation Jimin took the boy's hand and walked with him to the kitchen.

"What would you like to eat?", asked the boy and looked into the fridge. "We have burgers, spaghetti, chicken..."

"Do you-", Jimin closed his mouth again and looked at his lap.

"What did you say?",asked the boy and looked back to him.

"N-Nothing. Anything is fine.", Jimin said without looking up, but the boy frowned.

"You can tell me if you want to eat something special. We are a restaurant, you know? We can almost do everything." The boy gave Jimin an encouraging smile. 

"Do you-D-Do you maybe have Dukboki?", asked Jimin nervous. 

"Dukboki?", the boy repeated surprised. "Do you really eat spicy Dukboki?"

"N-No. I mean sweet Dukboki, b-but if you don't have it I'm also fine."

The boy started laughing what irritated Jimin. "Relax little boy. Of course we have sweet Dukboki. I'll make you some."

"Th-Thank you.", said Jimin and bowed.

"You don't have to bow to me. Or let's better say in america you don't have to bow. Just sit down and wait a bit. I'm going to make your food...uhm", the boy looked at Jimin.

"What was your name again?", the boy asked and a little smile appeared on Jimin's face.

*Just minutes ago he called me by my name.* "My name is Jimin.", Jimin bowed but remembered the boys words. He sat down and waited for his food.

"By the way my name is Jay. Jay Park.", the boy introduced himself.

Jimin blinked a few times. "Jay?" *Maybe he isn't korean.*

"My mother called me so.", Jay explained. "Since I was born here she thought it would be easier to call me Jay instead of a korean name."

"Oh.", Jimin nodded his head.

"American boys in your age are completly different", said Jay all of sudden. 

"Is this bad?", asked Jimin slightly nervous, but Jay just shrugged. "Maybe yes, maybe no."

Jimin got quiet for a moment. "Will you teach me how to behave like an american boy?", Jimin asked shy.

"Let's see, but at first, it your meal. Enjoy it.", Jay put the plate infront of Jimin and he thanked him.

"Thank you Jay Hyung."

"Hyung?", laughed Jay but nodded his head. "Well, ok. Then I'm your hyung."



                                                                                                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


One year later



"Oh my god, just look at my baby boy! You look so handsome!", said his mother while making thousand of pictures.

"Please stop mom. This is embarrasing.", said Jimin and looked at his cloths. He was wearing his new school uniform.

"How can this be embarassing? Finally my son goes to school! Say Cheese!", she cheered and took another hundred pictures of Jimin.

"Stop mom.", said Jimin annoyed and turned around.

"Fine!", she sighed and stopped. "But, I'll pick you up!", she assured and look threw the fotos.

Inwardly she was crying because of happyness. Her son was finally able to go to school. It had been such a long way.

After they ran away from the women's refuge she had forgotten all their belongings in there, also their passports.
They weren't able to leave the US or regrister themselfs. But Minhee wouldn't have done it anyway.
These people told Minhee they would take Jimin with them. That she couldn't be his mother, that she had a mental illness. That she maybe took him from his real parents. But she didn't. She adopted him.
Minhee assured it more than hundred times, but still they didn't believe her.

"Impossible.", they said. "Stupid."

But not everything what was impossible in america was impossible in korea.

After the great help of Jay's father they were able to live under a wrong identity.

Minhee wasn't anymore Minhee. Minhee was now Minah, while Jimin was now Jim.
Jimin was absolutly ok with it. He said, Jim sounds cooler than Jimin.
And just like this he was now able to learn the language and after a year to go to school. Of course Minhee had teached him at home, but which boy would want to be teached by his mother of the rest of his life?



"Are you ready, Jim?", asked Jay. He was holding the car keys in his hand.

"I am.", Jimin breathed in and out. "By mom, see you later.", said Jimin and waved. He was about to go but Minhee grabbed him by the back of his jacket.

"Didn't you forgot something?", she asked and raised her eyebrow.

"But mom! I'm too old for-"

"You'll be never too old for this.", she cut him of.

Jimin sighed but gave her a quick peck on her cheek.

"Awww~. Here we go, baby boy!", she kissed him on his forehead. "Have fun.", one kiss. "Don't mess around.", second kiss. "And come healthy back.", third and final peck.

"You are embarassing mom!", said Jimin and rubbed his forehead to get ride of her wet kisses.

"I don't care.", Minhee shrugged and looked to Jay. "Please bring him safe to school.", she bowed but Jay just smiled.

"Can I also get a goodbye kiss?", he asked with a smirk.

"No!", answered Jimin for his mother and pushed his hyung to the door. "Let's go hyung. We are being late. Bye mom!"

"Bye, guys!", Minhee waved until they disappeared.


"Your son changed a lot.", said an older voice.

"Yes, he did. He's growing up.", sighed Minhee and turned to Jay's father.

"He doesn't even call you Umma anymore.", said the elder.

"Mom, is fine too.", she assured him.

"He's forgetting his culture.", pointed the older man out.

"I don't care, as long as he is happy, I'm too.",said Minhee with a smile. "Come Ahjusshi. I'm going to make your favourite soup."

"You have really a good heart, my dear.", said the older. 

"Thank you.", Minhee bowed and lead him back to the restaurant.

*It's such a shame, that such a beautiful girl had to endure such cruel things.*, he gave Minhee a side glance.

*But she's still able to smile and to take care of herself and her son. I envie her personalitly. Such a strong person.*



                                                                                                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



"Whatever you do be nice to the other pupil.", said Jay.

"I will.", assured Jimin.

"If someone is making fun of you call me, I'll beat him up."

"I will."

"And be especially nice to the girls."

"Why?"

"Because". Jay paused for a second but smiled after. "Believe me, you'll thank me afterwards."

"Ok.", Jimin shrugged. 

"Ah, and be nice to the teacher."

"I will."

"Good little boy.", Jay ruffled Jimin's hair. "Go now."

Jimin took a few steps but stopped and turned to Jay.

"But what if they don't like me hyung?", asked Jimin nervous and looked at the ground. This would be his first time he would talk to american kids in his age.

"They will like you. I'm sure of that.", assured Jay. "The first day is always hard, but just talk to the people and be open. They'll love you immediately."

"Are you sure?", asked Jimin, still unsure.

"I was never that sure in my life Jim.", he said and waved Jimin. "Go now, I'll see you later."

"Thank you hyung.", Jimin gave him a little bow before he walked off.

*Ah seriously. Even after a year he still bows to me. It makes me feel old.*, but Jay was still leaving with a big smile on his face.