6

Consequences

In a small, currently uninfected place in Apgujeong, nearest Busan.

 

''Joonmyun, what are y- where are you going?''

"I'm packing. We are going to zombie-free land.''

''Oh my god, Suho, we can't leave okay? We should stay inside where it's safe. With our eyeliner...''

''Byun Baekhyun, if you don't come with me, I'll drag you.''

''Wh-... B-... UGH!" Baekhyun pouted before he followed Joonmyun out of the apartment. Ten minutes into their walk, Baekhyun stopped.

''What's wrong?" Suho asked.

''This bag is heavy. I bet there's no eyeliner in here. And where are we even going?" He winced.

''Well the news report said they'd be evacuating everywhere except Busan, so we'll go look there.''

''Are you insane? That doesn't even make sense!" Baekhyun yelped.

''Why wouldn't they evacuate from Busan? Either it's complete dead and there's nothing there and the virus has come and gone, or-"

''Or there's no need to save it because it's not in danger.''

''Exactly.'' Suho nodded before taking the bag from Baekhyun's back and swapping it with his own.

''What?! Why is yours so light?!" Baekhyun frowned.

''Yours has food, water, torches and stuff like that in it. Mine has, like, clothes, some extra water and good, a back-up torch, and more clothes. Also money.'' Joonmyun smiled before the two began their walk again.

 

"How are we getting to Busan? I can't walk all the way. I'm too pretty.'' Baekhyun pouted.

''Petty is more like it.'' Suho muttered under his breath.

''EXCUSE ME, WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?!"

"I said it's the only way.''

''I don't even know how to get to Busan!"

"We'll go to the train station an-"

"I highly doubt the 2:30am train from Apgujeong to Busan is running right now, Suho.''

''As I was saying...'' Said Joonmyun through gritted teeth. ''We'll go to the station and follow the tracks.''

''Oh.'' Baekhyun said flatly before going quiet and following Suho. Every twenty minutes they swapped the backpacks. Once they reached Apgujeong station, Baekhyun had the heaviest one.

 

''See? This train map says we're here and Busan is here. So we just follow the tracks and take every right until we get to the Busan station.'' Suho said quietly. Baekhyun was about to respond when a deep growl erupted from behind the duo. Baekhyun winced and turned around to see a man with his head tilted to the side, saliva dripping from his lips and his eyes bloodshot and white.

''What do w-"

''RUN!" Joonmyun yelled, sprinting a few metres along the platform before jumping onto the tracks, closely followed by Baekhyun and the infected man.

 

"SUHO, I CAN'T- THE BAG!" Baekhyun yelled.

''DROP IT!"

""BUT-"

"DROP. IT."

Baekhyun flung the bag off of his shoulders and backwards. He looked behind to see the backpack had knocked over the man who was chasing them and he almost smiled. But when the man fell to the ground, he revealed three other infecteds behind him.

''J-JOONMYUN?!"

"WHAT?"

"RUN FASTER!"

 

Twenty minutes of running later, they came to the first fork in the tracks.

"LEFT, GO LEFT!" Baekhyun shouted as they got closer.

"What?!"

"DO IT!"

Baekhyun had remembered that if they went left, they would come across a small, abandoned station that had been taken off of the map. When he was little he used to play hide-and-seek with his friends down there and he knew one place they'd never be found. Baekhyun pushed himself to run faster, and eventually was side-by-side with Joonmyun.

''I hope you know what you're doing.'' Suho said through gritted teeth due to exertion. Baekhyun felt sweat drop from his hairline down his neck and into his shirt. There was a few minutes before they came to the station.

"Follow me.'' Baekhyun said before running into a hole in the side of the station platform. Suho did the same and they ran into a room with a door at the end. Baekhyun dashed for it and slammed it open. They had a 50 metre lead on the infecteds, but it wouldn't last long. He pulled Suho inside before he closed and locked the door behind them.

''Go up there.'' Baekhyun pointed to a ladder that led to a crack in the wall that hid a large cavity behind it. Suho nodded and pulled the ladder up behind him as he slid back. Baekhyun lifted one of the large, cracked, sea-green tiles off of the floor to reveal a hole big enough for a fully grown man to fit in. He jumped down and pulled the tile back over himself just in time to hear something hit violently against the locked door. Up in his hidey-hole, Suho shut his eyes tightly, trying not to cry from fear. Baekhyun had enough room to crouch down and did so, burying his face in his hands. He felt his lower lip tremble as he held back tears. Just the other day he'd been a makeup representative, specifically eyeliner, with Joonmyun, and his world came crashing down because of this virus. Whatever this god forsaken thing was, it caused Baekhyun to lose his parents, his pets and the majority of his friends. He exhaled slowly and you could hear how shaken he was with each breath. Suho tensed his muscles and began to shake as the bashing against the door got increasingly more violent.

'Joonmyun calm down.' He chanted over and over to himself in the head.

 

There was a sudden silence. The banging stopped and was followed by several faint but apparent retreating footsteps. Joonmyun risked taking a peek and saw the door was still firmly shut. He couldn't see Baekhyun. Seeing a tile move made him catch his breath, but exhaled in a sigh of relief as Baekhyun pulled himself up onto the floor.

''Suho?'' He asked quietly.

''I'm okay.'' He replied, sliding out of the hidey-hole.

''Pass me that.'' Said Baekhyun, reffering to the bad. Suho handed it over willingly and Baekhyun flung it over one shoulder before turning to the far wall.

''Let's go.''

''What?"

Before Suho could fully question Baekhyun's intentions, he watched the younger boy slide a panel off of the wall and throw the bag through said hole. He slid himself through and gestured for Joonmyun to follow. the room they were in was pitch black. Baekhyun felt his way along the walls before finding a light switch.

 

''Is this the old underground subway?" Suho asked once the room flooded with the light.

''Yeah, I found it when I was little. I love coming down here. I do it all the time.''

There was a small pile of old, dusty toys and a collection of pictures in one of the corners, along with a battered office chair and an iPod connected to a portable charger on top of a pile of used, broken and un-opened packets of batteries for said charger. Baekhyun walked over and grabbed the iPod, shoving it into a pocket of his black skinny jeans before turning to Suho. He gestured to the dark tunnel near them.

''This set of tracks will take us to Busan. I used to walk there when I was upset and I'd go to the shops and just buy food until it began to get dark.''

Suho nodded, slid the bag onto his back and followed as Baekhyun grabbed a torch that was alongside the track, flicked it on and began walking.

 

About an hour or so passed and the boys made it to Busan. They reached the surface and checked for surrounding for people. They couldn't see anyone so they climbed out of a small hole to find Busan station was only a few metres away. Baekhyun and Joonmyun walked over and found the map of Busan.

''Let's try here.'' Suho pointed to the furthest side of Busan. Baekhyun nodded and they started their seemingly long journey. They walked quickly as to not meet with any unfriendly faces.