15

Consequences
"Kyungsoo, we'll make dinner. You made breakfast and lunch, just sit down and relax." Lay smiled reassuringly. 
"If you insist, Yixing." Kyungsoo sighed and retreated into the lounge. 
"What's this 'we' ?" Kris scowled. 
"It's a friend building excersize. Or whatever. Ask Bri-chan." He sighed. Kris nodded, flicking his eyes over the blonde girl who was grinning at Baekhyun in the lounge whilst Sehun stared at her protectively. 
"Maybe she should help is cook. I mean, it is her kitchen." Kris said. 
"Ah- no no we're letting her relax for a while."
"Why? What happened?"
"Ask Tao." Lay stated, reaching for a pan. 
Kris went into the lounge but did not find his friend. 
"What's up, Kris?" Luhan asked. 
"Oh I was wondering where Tao was..."
"He went back to sleep." Kyungsoo said happily. Kris nodded and went to the other spare bedroom aside from the one he had slept in. 
"Oh! Kris! Hey!" Tao smiled. 
"Hey, I thought you were asleep." Jiaheng sat down on the bed next to him. 
"I tried, heh, but didn't succeed."
"Are you okay?"
"Yeah."
"Lay said something happened at the other apartment?"
"Oh... That... Bri-chan killed an Infected."
Kris was stunned. Out of the entire group, only Luhan had killed one of the Infecteds. 
"Is she okay?" 
"Go ask her! She's annoyed because Suho gets all touchy when someone talks about it. I just think he's pissed because he wasn't there to help her."
"Wait but he didn't want to save her when it came to the supermarket..."
"Shh. We decided Bri-chan doesn't have to know about it."
"We?"
"Everyone pretty much. Don't tell Lu. He'll go nuts."
Kris nodded. "Get some rest." He muttered before heading back to the kitchen, where the thick smell of stir fry filled his nose. 
"What are you even making?"
"Stir fry. I asked Bri-chan for help." Yixing grinned. 
"Help with what?" His eyes scanned the kitchen for something out of place. 
"She told me where everything is. Do you feel like getting drinks for everyone?"
"Yeah. Cups?"
Lay pointed to an overhead cupboard as he stirred the contents of the deep pan. 
 
 
10 minutes later, everyone was eating silently with the radio softly speaking in the background. 
 
'There is still no update from South Korea, where the currently named 'Zombie Apocolypse' has occurred. So far what has been deducted is that the vast majority of the population has been evacuated. Any un-effected people who may remain in the area have been told to stay indoors with the lights off. A group of American medical specialists are working on a cure but nothing has been promised as of yet.'
 
"Why don't they just find who started it and get them to work a cure?" Jongdae said through a mouthful. 
"They don't know who started it, remember?" Suho pointed out. 
Chen nodded and continued to eat. 
 
The dishes were cleaned and put away before most of the group retreated into their beds. Only Baekhyun, Sehun, Bri-chan, Suho and Chen remained awake. 
 
"I like this." Jongdae admired the crossbow. 
"I like it too. It's easy to reload aswell." Bri-chan grinned. 
This sort of conversation continued for a few minutes. 
"I think you should get some sleep, Jongdda." Bri-chan said softly. Chen nodded and ruffled her hair before stretching his arms and going to bed. 
"You too Sehun." 
"You'll be in soon?"
Bri nodded and watched as he walked away. 
"Okay, what happened?"
"What do you mean?" Baekhyun asked. 
"Everyone's being stupidly quiet around me. What. Happened?"
 
Suho looked at Baekhyun, and vice versa as they tried to think of something. Baekhyun sighed. 
 
"Suho didn't want to risk his life to save you."
"What?"
"He said it was too dangerous to try and get you back when you went to save Lu Han."
"I thought we agreed to not tell her." Suho glared at Baek. 
"Stuff the agreement."
"I need to think for a while..." Bri-chan pulled herself out of the chair she was in and walked out the front door. Baekhyun tried to follow, but was pulled down by Joonmyun who shook his head. 
 
Sehun slid into the bed, feeling the effects of the cold diminish as he cuddled up under the blanket. He placed his phone on the bedside table, noticing that Bri-chan's was there also. 
'Forgive me for this.'
He grabbed it and slid the unlock button, surprised to find no need for a pass code. 
The wallpapers did not shock him. One was Jondae and Kyungsoo, the other Baekhyun and Suho. He scrolled through the apps until he came across 'Messages'. 
'I'm going to hell.'
He clicked it and noticed the cute contact names. 
'Jongdda Oppa *^*'
'SooSoo -heart-'
'PreciouSuho :') '
'Baconhyun c: '
The next one made Sehun smile. 
'y Sehun o u o '
Many more followed until there was a message set from a contact labelled 'Abandoners'. 
'Definitely going to hell.' He thought as he clicked it and scrolled all the way to the top. The earliest message was from June 25, 2006. 
'Did you sign it yet?'
'Not yet. Be patient.'
'I want to meet him.'
'Not yet. Be patient.'
'Can I see a picture of him?'
'Not yet. Be patient.'
'But I really want to see him.'
'Be patient.'
'Is he as nice as he is online?'
'Most likely.'
'Can I talk to him tonight? You said we'd call him.'
'Maybe.'
'So no.'
'Not no. Maybe.'
'Okay.'
 
January 29th, 2007
'Can we meet him yet?'
'Not yet. Be patient.'
'But he said he was really excited to meet me and that he was already in Australia with his friend.'
'You will meet him soon.'
'Does that mean I have to start packing when I get home from school? :DDD'
'Yes.'
 
June 31st 2007
'Apps says you didn't sign it yet.'
'Appa?'
'He said it means father in Korean and that I could call him that if I wanted.'
'It has not been signed.'
'Why not?!'
'Everyone must be present when it's signed.'
'Do I have to be there?' 
'Yes.'
'Can Baekhyun come?'
 
Sehun looked at the phone in shock. 'She's known Baekhyun so long, is this all about Suho? I really shouldn't keep readi-'
 
"Sehun, what are you doing?"
The young boy slammed the phone back onto the bedside table and sat up in shock as Suho towered over him. 
"Oh. Suho. Hey! You look tall from here. Hehe."
"What were you doing on Bri's phone?"
"Uh...."
"Well?"
"Please don't tell her."
Suho sighed. 
"I won't."
He grabbed the phone and sat next to Sehun, looking at the screen sadly. 
"That's you isn't it? She called you appa so long ago, why?"
"Her parents didn't want her."
"Why?" Sehun furrowed his eyebrows.
"I don't know. They asked her 'If you wanted to live in any country in the world, where would it be?' So she said 'South Korea' and they looked for someone who could speak English and wouldn't mind adopting a child. I think I hate her parents. It's like they'd never met her. They didn't know her favorite colour, let alone she wanted to learn Korean."
Suho sighed again. 
"And?"
"And one day Baekhyun insisted I find something to do with my life. He opened some website and said 'If you don't see any children you'd be able to put up with, I'll never bring it up again.' "
"Then you found her."
"Then I found her. The site I was on, it lets you talk to the kids parents and in turn, the kids. So I thought it was worth a try and she was amazing. We went to Australia to sign the papers and took her to lunch, Baekhyun and I, and we taught her some Korean. It made her so happy. She was 13 when we met. She acted like she did online though. She clicked with Baekhyun so well, and she just lit up. We went to go meet her parents and they looked annoyed just constantly. Bri-chan showed me her room and all her posters. I realized she picked South Korea because she loves kpop. Specifically SHINee and Super Junior, Kangta, Jay Park and f(x). I remember one day she said 'Appa, why aren't you and Baekhyun k-pop stars?' "
"Why did she say that?"
"She made us sing for her." He laughed. "She worked so hard... Have you noticed how much she smiles? She loves... People. Do you know what I mean? Being with people. Around people that care about her. I guess that's what happens when you grow up around hate then get thrown into love."
Sehun didn't know what to say. 
'She's like, her adoptive father' Baekhyun had said. He hadn't realised Baekhyun wasn't kidding. 
"Ah but that is in the past. I'm her father and I'm telling you this, hurt her and I will personally tie you to a truck and push it into the Han River with you attached. Now get some rest." 
"J-Joonmyun?"
"Yes?"
"I promise I won't hurt her."
"Don't promise that. Just don't let her get hurt by others."
He left and closed the door behind him.