5

Consequences

The infected part of Gangnam.

 

''KEEP RUNNING!"

''IT WAS YOUR STUPID IDEA TO COME TO SOUTH KOREA IN THE FIRST PLACE! I HATE YOU ZHANG YIXING!''

''JUST RUN, LU HAN.''

The two boys were running out of breath as they headed along the train tracks to Busan. Apparently it was uninfected so far and they just wanted a place to rest. They'd been running for about 30 minutes, with a crowd of infected people on their tail, about 200 metres behind them, and none were showing any sign of fatigue.

''LU HAN, WATCH OUT.''

Lu Han jumped just in time to avoid tripping over a fallen tree branch. Yixing was a few metres behind, and Luhan was trying to slow down enough for him to catch up.

''HURRY UP, XING XING.''

''DON'T WORRY, JUST RUN! WE'RE NOT FAR!"

'Are we leading these things to the only uncontaminated place we know?' The thought burdened Lu Han like the thirst for blood burdened that of the infected.

''WE'RE GOING LEFT, XING.''

''BUT BUSAN IS THE OTHER WAY!"

"TRUST ME!"

They took the turn down the tracks to the left and sprinted as fast as they could. Luhan had remembered going past a large forest on their way to the other end of South Korea one day and thought it'd be a good place to hide. Luhan made a final burst of energy to get a little ahead before stopping and pulling himself up onto the platform. Yixing followed his lead, but so did the infected, who were only around 150 metres behind now. Luhan grabbed Yixing's hand and the two ran into the local forest, looking for anywhere, anyplace where they could hide.

''THERE!'' Yixing yelled after 15 more minutes of running. A large tree with climb-able branches loomed a few hundred metres in front of them. Luhan dashed for it and swung himself up to the second branch from the ground.

''Break them once you pass them." He panted to his friend.

''Are you crazy? How wi-''

"JUST DO IT!" Luhan yelled, climbing up to the highest point he could and sitting at the point where the tree sprouted a thick branch. Yixing gripped a branch above him and jumped on the one below until a large crack was heard followed by a heavy thud of the branch falling to the ground. He repeated this until it was humanely impossible to reach them from the ground. He climbed up until he got to Luhan.

 

''Go to Gangnam you said. It'll be like a field trip you said. Nothing bad happens in Gangnam you said. Ohohoho well I'd say ZOMBIE APOCOLYPSE FALLS UNDER 'SOMETHING BAD'." Luhan yelled as Xing sat on the branch underneath him.

''How was I supposed to know? They don't exactly hand out these things in pamphlets. No one came up to me and said 'Hey, you know what? How about you stay in China. China is good, South Korea is bad.' '' Yixing glared upwards at his friend.

''Goddammit Lay, this is worse than when you left me in the goddamn grocery store.''

''FOR THE LAST TIME, I FORGOT. I DIDN'T DO IT ON PURPOSE.''

''Same deal.''

''Okay, dude, I didn't 'forget' there was a zombie apocolypse in Gangnam freaking scheduled for our trip. It's called some bad freaking luck.''

''It's like we were Hitler and Moussilini in a past life, man. What else could we have done to deserve this?"

"Hey, you hear that?"

"Oh so I'm talking to myself now, Great. Absolutely freaking gr-'' Luhan's exasperated whining was cut off.

''Shut up and listen.'' Yixing sighed.

Luhan listened intently, but heard nothing.

''I don't get it, I don't hear anything.''

''Exactly. Do you think it's safe to go back to the tracks now?'' Yixing asked.

''Maybe we should wait a while.''

''You said that about getting on the tracks in the first place.''

''OH MY GOD, don't ask me for my opinion and then tell me it's wrong. Let's go.''

''One question, genius.''

''What?'' Luhan said through gritted teeth combined with a glare.

''How do we get down, Mr 'Break our on exit route off as you go'?" Yixing responded rudely.

''We just make our way over to that tree and climb down from there.'' Stated Luhan matter-of-factly. Yixing looked to where Luhan was pointing and noticed it was a good plan.

''Help me up.'' He said flatly, stretching his arm upward. Lu grabbed his hand and dragged him upwards to the branch he was on before he stood up carefully and leapt to the adjacent tree. He expertly climbed down to a lower branch before Yixing followed his actions. Once they'd reached the two lowest branches, Luhan stopped.

''What's wrong?'' Yixing asked from above him.

''Can we rest for a while?''

''We can rest in Busan.'' Lay smiled softly before the two jumped to the ground and found their way back to the tracks.

They trudged along the tracks, slower than before yes still at a quick pace. They went back to the fork in the tracks a few hundred metres back and changed their course, heading for Busam. About two hours passed before they reached Busan's main station. There was no one there, but no people were better than infected people. Yixing heaved himself up to the platform, pulling Luhan up behind him.

''Where do w-''

''Wait.'' Yixing ripped part of his own shirt off and pressed it against Luhan's pale face.

''What is it?''

''Remember when we were back in Gangnam and you fell over?"

"Yeah."

"You got cut. And it was still bleeding..''

''Thankyou.'' Luhan held the piece of cloth against his cheek as Yixing removed his hand. The duo walked around for a few minutes before finding a map of Busan on the platform.

''I saw we go here.'' Luhan pressed his finger to the side of Busan furthest from Seoul.

''I agree. Come on, that's a long walk. Better get going if we wanna get there soon.''