3

Consequences

Guangzhou, China

 

''My parents said I'm not supposed to go outside China's borders.''

''China's buddies with South Korea... Sort of... So.. We're okay.'' The tall blonde boy grinned.

''Okayy Jiaheng, I trust you.''

''ZiTao, you're allowed to call me Kris.''

''I know, sorry.'' ZiTao smiled shakily up at his friend.

 

Kris and ZiTao had met in school through a pen pal system. ZiTao's school in China was set with Kris's school in Canada, and ZiTao was so happy when we was set with someone who lived in China before and could speak fluent Chinese. A few years after the program ended, Kris graduated from hioghschool and ZiTao was a new sernior at his school, Kris moved over to Guangzhou, and the two eventually met up. They'd been close ever since.

 

'"Tao, you okay?'' Kris asked as the two walked through the terminal to their plane's boarding area.

''Um.. Yeah.''

''Okay. How's your Korean?''

''안녕하세요, 황 지타오 입니다.'' (Hello, my name is Huang ZiTao)

Kris nodded in approval.

''Is that all you can say so far?''

ZiTao nodded.

''Haha, oh. We should hurry.'' Kris laughed as the final boarding call for their flight rang out over the speakers.

Once they got onto the plane, they settled down into their seats. Tao at the window side and Kris at the aisle. Tao had never been on a plane before and he was worried.

''Hey, calm down, it's not like we're gonna be here for hours.'' Kris patted the younger boy's back reassuringly. Tao nodded and closed his eyes, inahling deeply and exhaling slowly.

The air hostess went through the safety procedures.

''And in case of an emergency, the exits are located here, here, and also at the rear of the plane near the bathroom. Have a nice flight.'' She smiled and left.

 

''There's a possibility you might die today! Have a nice flight!'' Tao imitated the air hostess sarcasticly before slumping into his seat, a frown on his face.

''We'll be fine. It's like .. um.. Remember that girl who said she always went on planes?''

''Um... Shiajyu?''

''Yeah! And she'd been on a plane about 60 times right?''

"Right.''

''Well, she flew this airline. So if it was going to crash, it would have been one of the ones she was on!" Kris smiled before recieving an exasperated glare from Tao.

''Not. Helping. Wu Yi Fan.''

''Oh just go to sleep.'' Kri spushed the younger boys heard in a playful manner to the side and the two laughed with eachother.

A few minutes after they had been given food, Kris was playing with the screen in front ofhim.

''What are you doing?''

''Looking for something to watch. there's only news from Seoul, not Busan.''

'"Then watch that.''

''But what's the point? We're going to Busan, not Seoul.''

''Ugh.''

Tao grabbed the pillow he'd brought on board and pressed it against his face. He loved Kris dearly but he was a bit stupidly stubborn sometimes. Eventually, Tao fell asleep, his head hung to the side as he snored softly. Kris smiled and remembered the promise he'd made to Tao's parents and grandparents.

I'll treat him and watch over him like he's my own brother.

Kris adjusted Tao's pillow so it was behind the boy's head before turning off the screen in front of himself and falling asleep also.

 

Busan, South Korea

 

''This hotel is so nice.'' Tao flung himself face down onto the first bed he saw and lay motionless.

''Still tired?'' Kris chuckled.

'"Go away.'' Tao said, his voice muffled by the blanket. Kris shook his head with a smirk, closed the door and sat on the bed next to Tao's.

'"What do you want to do tomorrow?''

''Sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep...'' Tao said drowsily.

''Wow it's like those sleeping pills only kicked in now. Goodnight.'' Kris smiled  happily before pulling a blanket over Tao, turning the lights off and going to sleep himself.