1

Consequences

Chanyeol swung the door open loudly and trudged to his room, making no attempt at talking with his roommmate. Minseok sighed, shut the front door quietly and retreated to his room aswell. He could hear the TV switch on in the neighbouring room. Ten minutes passed quickly once Minseok pulled out his laptop and made notes of today's experiment.

 

''Minseok, come here.''

''Why?'' He sighed and made his way to Chanyeol's room.

''Look at this.'' Chanyeol said with his mouth full, pointing at the television.

''Where the hell did you get popcorn from?''

''Don't question it. Just look at the damn tv.''

 

'In recent news, there's been a surprise outbreak of some unknown virus from Seoul's Private Laboratories. No one knows how it began, but several people have been killed by people infected with this virus.'

 

''Did we...'' Minseok sat heavily next to Chanyeol, who simply shrugged and shoved a massive handful of popcorn into his mouth before changing the channel to Idol Championship, where a famous group called Super Junior were participating.

''I say we leave the country.'' Chanyeol said in his deep voice suddenly, spitting flecks of popcorn everywhere as he did so.

''Ew. And why?''

''Cause we started an epidemic. I highly doubt we're not gonna get our asses kicked for it.''

''They said people got killed, Chanyeol. Killed.''

''Oh so now I'm the bad one? You're the one who stabbed the freaking guy and put an unknown thingy into his bloodstream.''

"He died.''

''No, we thought he died. We created a-''

''Don't you dare say it.'' Minseok stood up and glared at his housemate.

''We created a zombie.''

''Are you ting me? Zombies aren't real Park Chanyeol.''

''You saw the news too! They said people affected by the virus killed. There were no other unknown pathogens in the labs, only the pathogen YOU CREATED!'' Chanyeol stood up on the other side of his bed, dropping his mostly-empty popcorn box onto the floor as he did so.

''I'm over this .'' Minseok raised his hands in the air and let them fall to his sides again as he groaned loudly and went to the kitchen to eat any food they had left.

Chanyeol sighed and slumped into the chair that resided in the corner of his room.

''Goddammit Minseok. We need to get out of here.'' He flicked the channel on the TV back to the news, seeing the reporter now standing in front of the labs, people running in multiple directions behind her. ''I've got a bad feeling.''

 

In the kitchen, Minseok had found his iPod he had recently lost. He put his earphones in and pressed play. f(x)'s danger filtered into his ears as he got things out to make dinner. No matter how mad he was at Chanyeol, he'd always forgive him. They'd been friends since pre-school. They grew up for a while next door to eachother, and their parents had dinner together alot, so the two boys would play together often, especially at and after school.

 

 

''We'll be friends forever, right?'' A young Chanyeol grinned. Minseok nodded and pinky swore with the other boy.

''Best friends!" The two smiled and Minseok hugged his friend before his mom pulled her 12 year old son into the car. Minseok pouted as the moving van followed their car down the street and out of sight.

 

 

Minseok never told Chanyeol how much he cried that day. He was 12 years old and it was the most painful day of his life. Once the Park family moved away, the Kim family's adults fought more a more often, eventually resulting in Minseok's father leaving. he didn't see Chanyeol again until they were both 17 years old.

 

 

 

''Minseok?''

A teenage Minseok spun around to see a tall, grinning, dark-haired boy in front of him.

''I'm sorry, I don't know your name.''

''You forgot me?'' The boy's eyes widened and his expression fell. That's when Minseok remembered. It was the same face he saw through the back window of that dreaded car as his best friend left.

'"Ch-Chanyeol?'' Minseok winced, his friends all watching the situation silent. Chanyeol nodded and his wide grin came back. Minseok pulled him into a hug.

''I missed you so much.'' He pressed his face into the curve of his friends shoulder and Chanyeol did the same, patting the others back.

''Xiuminnie, who's this and why'd he call you Minseok?'' One of his friends called from behind. Minseok let go of his friend and turned around.

''Minseok's my real name. You forgot that, did you? And this is my best friend. I have to go. I'll see you later.''

When Minseok walked away with Chanyeol, he knew deep down he'd never talk to that group of friends again.

 

''Where have you been?'' Minseok asked one day.

''Studying. My parents want me to get a degree in, like, human behaviour and medicine. What about you?''

'"Studying aswell. My mom wants me to be a doctor. Ugh.''

''Why 'ugh'?'' Chanyeol laughed.

''It's hard. Sometimes I wonder if I should just give up and be a Gucci representative.'' Minseok laughed.

''I know that feelings. Sometimes I just want to go be one of those poeple who give out free samples of makeup to ugly people.''

''Dude, you'd need to give it all to yourself.''

''Shut up.'' Chanyeol hit his friends playfully before the two went to their next classes.

 

 

They didn't leave eachothers sides since then. Eventually Minseok told Chanyeol how his father left and he felt like he didn't have anyone to look up to anymore. Chanyeol had nodded and said his father was killed in a car crash and that he'd vowed to never drink and drive because it hurt more than just the one who was drunk.

 

''Do I smell spaghetti?''

''Dammit Chanyeol, you can smell food from a mile away.''

''Only good food.'' He grinned and walked over, grabbing out two bowls and two pairs of chopsticks for the both of them. Minseok laughed to himself before stirring the noodles he had on high heat on the stove top. Chanyeol turned the TV in the lounge to the news before coming back and sitting on the kitchen bench.

''Excuse me, I just cleaned that. Get your off.'' Minseok glared.

''Ugh. you 'just cleaned' everything.''

''If you want to sit somewhere dirty, your options are your room and your room.''

''Really? Smartass.'' Chanyeol rolled his eyes and slid back off of the bench prior to retreating to the couch.

''Are they still going on about the labs?'' Minseok asked.

 

''That's weird.''

''What?''

''How long has it been since we left Seoul Labs?''

''Um... Almost 5 hours now, why?''

''It says the majority of central Seoul is...''

''Is what, Chanyeol, what?''

''Infected.''

Minseok gritted his teeth as he served up dinner, trying not to think of the inevitable.

''Here.'' He shoved one of the bowls into his roommates hands before sitting down and casually stuffing his face to avoid conversation.

''Geez, you're hungry.'' Chanyeol scrunched his face up.

''Shut up.'' Minseok mumbled, food bunched up in his cheeks. Chanyeol furrowed his eyebrows before eating quietly, both boys watching the news with a silence in between them that screamed volumes.