Chapter 19 Missed Connections

Our Family Story

 

“Kyu! Open the door!” Siwon yelled as he brought his fist down on the wood for the umpteenth time. It rattled under the force. “You can’t just hide yourself in there all night! We have to talk about this damn it!

 

His free hand rested on the door handle, still twisting it even though he knew it was pointless. Kyuhyun was not going to let him in.

 

 “Baby please! You have to—you can’t just hide from our problems like this! We have to talk about this!

 

He leaned his forehead against the door, closing his eyes as he took a few deep breaths.

 

“ …what about Daerim-ah?! How can you sit in there when she’s crying like this?! Don’t punish her because of us! She needs you!” he said wincing as Daerim’s cries seemed to grow even louder.

 

Siwon had tried everything; anger, sweetness, guilt, but nothing had pried Kyuhyun from that room. His frustration at Kyuhyun’s stubbornness was pushing him to the edge and he couldn’t stand wasting any more time in front of their bedroom door.

 

“Aish! Fine Kyu just forget it then! You can stay in there all night!” Siwon yelled, smacking the door before turning his back on it.

 

The faint sound of water suddenly rushing made him put his hands to his head rubbing his hair back in frustration.

 

Realizing that it was a lost cause, Siwon knew he had to go to Daerim.

 

Walking into her room and up to her crib he saw her lying on her back gnawing desperately on her fingers as she kicked her legs out in frustration.

 

All of the anger and adrenaline that he had pumping through his system immediately deflated as he saw fat tears rolling down her reddened cheeks.

 

“Aegi-yah, it’s okay. You don’t have to cry anymore, I’m here,” he cooed picking her up. “I’m so, so sorry. Appa didn’t mean to scare you.”

 

As he held Daerim close, so that she could rest her head on his shoulder, he could feel her tears mixed with the warmth of her saliva coating his arm.

 

He kissed the top of her soft hair as he ran his hand in small circles on her back. Kyuhyun’s voice was the one she was used to, but he hoped even humming a soft tone, might make her feel better. As her cries turned to soft whimpers, he began to realize everyone in this family was in a lot of pain. And he knew he had to be the one to fix it.

 

Looking around him, he looked for Daerim’s diaper bag. Finding it on the other side of the room, he moved around quickly, grabbing clothes, extra diapers and wipes,  and stuffing as much as he could inside the large bag.

 

After he forced the zipper closed, he slung it across his free shoulder and left the room, Daerim still in his arms.

 

Glancing at their bedroom door once again, he waited a few moments, hoping that Kyuhyun would sense that he was there, and that he and their daughter needed him, but it remained closed and silent.

 

His jaw tightened as he walked past the wooden barrier and then out of the apartment for good.

 

Kyuhyun had grown even more frustrated listening to Siwon as he sat on their bed, his hands gripping the sheets as he fumed. He was angry that things had even escalated to this point. Why wasn’t Siwon hearing him? They had never been in a position like this before and he had no idea how they were gonna fix it.

 

Bang!

 

Kyuhyun had jumped when he heard Siwon’s fist hit the door again. He’d got up from the bed and walked in front of the door. He’d stood silent, knowing that Siwon was on the other side of the door, begging for him to show himself.

 

A shaky hand reached out, moments from touching the door handle.

 

But when he heard Siwon’s last words, he froze.

 

Aish! Fine Kyu just forget it then! You can stay in there all night!

 

His hand slowly retracted as he winced, hearing the malice in Siwon’s voice.

 

Rubbing that hand with his other one, he backed away from their door and walked instead to their bathroom.

 

His skin suddenly felt incredibly hot and it was making him feel strangely nauseous.  Turning the shower head on, he stepped inside the stall, not even caring about his clothes as he sat on the floor, tilting his head and letting the cold water cool him down.

 

He didn’t know how long he stayed there. All he could think about was the sickness he felt in his stomach. He hated fighting with Siwon, he really did. But he just couldn’t give in this time. He knew if things continued the way they were going he couldn’t last…and maybe they couldn’t either. He accepted that they were both justified in wanting their time, but the way that Siwon had just assumed that Daerim would automatically be his responsibility had angered him to no end.

 

Clutching his arms together, Kyuhyun stood on shaky legs so that he turn the warm water on. He had begun to shiver and he didn’t want to make himself sick, he just knew he’d needed to cool his burning hot skin.

 

After pulling off his soaking wet clothes, he proceeded to take an actual shower. When he finished, he pulled on his robe and stepped out of the bathroom, knowing that he needed to check on Daerim and hoping that Siwon too had had a chance to calm down.

 

When he walked out into the hallway, he realized that he didn’t hear Daerim crying at all. Already feeling a little bit better, he stepped into her room, only to quickly realize that she wasn’t there.

 

Frowning, he walked into the living room only to see that Daerim nor Siwon seemed to be anywhere.

 

Feeling a pounding in his head, Kyuhyun ran over to the table to pick up his phone and he quickly dialed Siwon’s phone.

 

As he brushed back his damp hair, desperate to hear Siwon’s voice, he realized that he could hear Siwon’s phone ringing from inside the apartment.

 

Turning around, he walked closer to the kitchen and realized that Siwon had left his phone in his gym bag on the floor.

 

“Damn it Siwon!” mumbled Kyuhyun as he tossed his phone on the couch. He took a seat, holding his head in his hands as he thought about where Siwon could have possibly taken their daughter and why.

 

His entire body was on edge as he wondered if Siwon was out driving somewhere with her, while his nerves were frayed with rage or if they were out walking around somewhere in the cool night air with no blanket so that he could cool down too. Was she still in pain? Was she tired? Was she hungry? Was she scared?

 

Not having answers to these questions was beginning to drive him insane and he wondered if Siwon had left his phone here on purpose.

 

Reaching for his phone again he quickly dialed the first person he could think of.

 

“Teuk?” asked Kyuhyun when he heard someone pick up the phone.

 

“Kyu-ah, how are you?” asked Leeteuk. Kyuhyun could hear his smile but it didn’t seem to relax him.

 

“Not so good Teuk. Siwon and I got into a fight, and I locked myself in our room because I just couldn’t stand him not listening to a word I was saying anymore and when I came out again, he was gone, with Daerim-ah,” said Kyuhyun quickly.

 

“Wow, okay, slow down. You and Siwon got into a fight…you locked yourself in your room…and now he and Daerim are gone? What do you mean gone? How could he just take her like that without telling you anything?”

 

“I don’t know,” said Kyuhyun rubbing his head again. “I’m just worried that because we had been fighting that maybe he wasn’t thinking clearly and he forgot something important and she’s uncomfortable and crying out for me and—

 

“Kyu, calm down. Siwon-ah is a capable parent. I’m sure even if he was upset he would know that there are certain things he has to bring if he’s taking her out. Is her diaper bag gone?”

 

“I don’t know,” said Kyuhyun standing and running back into Daerim’s room. “Uh…yes.”

 

“Okay, see that’s good. Have you tried calling him?”

 

“Yes, but he left his phone here,” sighed Kyuhyun as he sniffled.

 

“That’s not like him. What were the two of you fighting about?”

 

“Us. Daerim-ah,” said Kyuhyun.

 

“Can you be a little more specific Kyu?” asked Leeteuk with a small laugh.

 

“I’m at my wit’s end with taking care of Daerim alone. And I just feel so awful for even saying that,” said Kyuhyun starting to break down.  “I love her so much, but I just don’t know what to do anymore. Teething has been a nightmare for her and me. She’s always fussy or crying. So I just wanted to go out tonight to have a drink with Changmin and take a break. But Siwon wanted to go and play basketball with the hyungs. He just couldn’t understand that I needed time away, to myself for one night. And so I got really angry with him and refused to talk to him anymore…am I a bad person Hyung?”

 

“No, Kyu, everyone needs a break,” said Leeteuk gently. “Feeling frustrated with your baby doesn’t make you a bad person or parent. I know it has to be difficult for you. I’m just sorry that your communication with Siwon has been so poor throughout all of this.”

 

“Honestly, I think that’s what hurts the most. It wasn’t like this before, we could always talk about our problems without it turning into a major fight. I don’t know why it’s changed,” said Kyuhyun his voice cracking. “And now I just feel like he’s angry with me. I know it’s silly, but I hate that. I really do.”

 

“Kyu, listen to me, nothing’s changed that can’t be healed. And Siwon does not, nor could he ever hate you. You're both just really tired because you’ve been pushed to your limits. Siwon just started working again right? It’s an adjustment you all have to allow for, just like you adjusted your lives when Daerim was first born. But in order for you to do that, you have just got to sit down to talk to each other, not yell and accuse. And sometimes…you're not always gonna get what you want, but that shouldn’t be something that drives the two of you apart.”

 

“I know Hyung, I know. But I wish you had been here, the entire time we were talking he just made me feel like he didn’t even care. Like my needs and wants aren’t as important because I’m not the one working. It’s like he feels that because he goes to an office every day that his work is more meaningful, so he deserves more down time. I could be out working too! I was until Daerim! But now I have to stay inside taking care of his kid all day, every day! I just need one night, that’s all I want!” said Kyuhyun finally breaking down.

 

Leeteuk sighed, “Why didn’t you call me earlier Kyuhyun-ah? I would have gladly come and taken care of Daerim-ah for you, you know that. Any of us would have or even your parents.”

 

“I know Hyung, but it just didn’t seem right. It’s Saturday night, it was such short notice. Everyone has their own lives, you have a two year old, it just seemed like one of us should have taken the responsibility. But after a while it wasn’t even about that anymore. It was about being appreciated and him not treating me like some housewife or maid. It’s like now that he’s out of the house he only remembers the good parts of having a child, none of the stressful moments.”

 

Leeteuk sighed again, he wanted to help Kyuhyun, but he just didn’t know how.

 

“Kyuhyun-ah, do you want me to come over? Or maybe come and get you? You can stay with us for the night if you just want some time to clear your head,” he said softly.

 

“No Hyung, I feel like I should be here when he gets back,” sighed Kyuhyun.

 

“Okay, well, just try to open with him. I know you’re angry, but you have to put that aside for now. And remember, you can call me if you need anything, alright? I mean it,” said Leeteuk.

 

“Thanks Hyung, I’ll try,” said Kyuhyun softly.

 

After he hung up, Kyuhyun curled up on the couch with his phone next to his face. He waited in the silence of the apartment for any sign of their return. He found that once he was truly without his baby and his love, no matter how much they were driving him crazy, he felt empty. It was as if they had abandoned him.

 

Almost an hour passed before Kyuhyun’s phone started ringing.

 

“Siwon?” He called out, startled, even though he knew better.

 

Glancing at the number he saw that it was Changmin.

 

“Yah! Cho Kyuhyun! Where are you?! This place is packed!”

 

Kyuhyun closed his eyes. He had forgotten to call Changmin.

 

“I’m…not there.”

 

“What?! I can’t hear you!”

 

“I’m not there!” yelled Kyuhyun.

 

“Traffic?!”

 

“No! I…don’t think I can come!”

 

“What?! Why?! Look, if it’s about Siwon or Daerim, just know that I wanted to stay home with Mina and the baby too, but we’re about two more weeks off of losing our best friend titles to each other’s spouses. Siwon can deal with you being gone for one night, can’t he?!”

 

Kyuhyun his lips.

 

“I really think you’ll love this place too! It’s beautiful! There are so many bottles the wine is nearly pouring from the ceiling!” said Changmin with a laugh.

 

Kyuhyun sighed. It had been over an hour and Siwon had yet to come home. Maybe he had left Daerim with someone and was out enjoying himself this very moment.

 

“Okay, just get a table. I’ll be there soon,” he said standing.

 

“All right, it’ll probably be a bit of a wait anyway. I’ll see you when you get here.”

 

When Kyuhyun hung up, he quickly went back into his bedroom and put on the suit that he’d had in mind when he and Changmin had originally planned their evening. As he fastened his shirt buttons, he couldn’t help but smile at the feeling of having on a clean, well made suit for the first time in weeks. He had missed it.

 

As he shrugged on the jacket, he glanced at himself in the mirror. Happy with the way he looked, he grabbed his phone, keys, and wallet and proceeded to the front door. When he reached the parking garage in the basement of their building he quickly found his car.

 

Although traffic was heavy, it didn’t take as long as he’d imagined before he was pulling up to the wine bar in Gangnam. Looking through his window he could already see that small place was beyond crowded. Just as he was exiting his car for the valet to park it for him, his phone began ringing. Thinking it was Changmin, he hesitated since he was already here, but then he realized he may need direction to find him once inside. But when he saw his mother’s number on the screen  he was confused.

 

“Eo-eomma?” he asked stepping away from the building.

 

“Kyuhyun-ah, is everything alright?” asked his mother’s worried voice.

 

“Yes, why wouldn’t it be?” he asked putting his free hand over his ear to try and block out some of the chatter around him.

 

“Well, Siwon-ah was just here and he dropped off Daerim. He didn’t give much of an explanation as to why,  but he just asked could we watch her for a while. I don’t know if he meant for a few hours or a few days with the amount of things he had put in her bag. So I was worried something may be wrong,” said his mother.

 

Kyuhyun sighed, he had been uneasy not knowing the whereabouts of Daerim every since Siwon had left so he was happy to know that she was safe.

 

“No eomma, uh, nothing is wrong. Siwon and I just needed…some time. Daerim’s teething has been really bad lately and Siwon’s been working long hours. I’m really sorry that he just sprung this on you, I can come get her and bring her home—

 

“No, no, no, it’s okay, really. I can hear the stress in your voice and I could see it on his face. You all take as much time as you need. Daerim-ah is perfectly okay here, so don’t worry.”

 

“Is she…is she still crying?” asked Kyuhyun leaning against the wall.

 

“No, she’s fast asleep. I massaged her poor little gums with some clove oil and it soothed her pain enough to where she was able to sleep. Teething was a really miserable time for you and Ara as well, so thankfully I was able to learn a lot from your grandmothers and aunts. You should have told me this was such a problem for you, I could have helped,” said his mother.

 

Kyuhyun sighed. Of course in hindsight, he saw so many ways for all of this conflict to have been avoided. But his anger had blinded him to all of it up until this point.

 

“I’m sorry eomma, it’s not that I didn’t want to tell you, really. I should have come to you, or someone for help…I just…I don’t even know what I’m doing anymore,” said Kyuhyun closing his eyes.

 

“Kyuhyun-ah, just relax, alright. Daerim is fine now. So you and Siwon can just take this time to spend together. Everything will get better eventually. This little struggle will pass, and you’ll be happy again. I promise you.”

 

Kyuhyun smiled at his mother’s words. They brought him a sense of comfort.

 

“Thank you eomma. Please kiss her goodnight for me.”

 

“I will, have a good night baby.”

 

“You too.”

 

When Kyuhyun hung up, he held his phone for a few moments. He was about to pocket it and go inside, but he thought for a moment and then quickly dialed Siwon’s number.

 

“Please pick up…please pick up…I just want to hear your voice…just so I know you not still angry at me…we can make this better,” murmured Kyuhyun.

 

But after hearing ring after ring, there was nothing.

 

his lips in frustration, Kyuhyun turned his phone off and then put it back into his pocket before walking inside.

 

During the drive home, Siwon had thought about everything he was going to say to Kyuhyun. He knew that his husband hated empty apologies, so he really tried to go over what he was going to do to fix their conflict. Should they switch roles? Maybe he stay at home with Daerim while Kyuhyun went to work? Would his boss take him seriously if he asked to work from home? Should he just quit and find something less demanding? Should they hire an aunty to come in and help with the housework? A nanny for Daerim? His mind was racing with solutions but he couldn’t figure out the best one.

 

After pulling into the parking garage and parking his car, Siwon wasted no time in making his way up to their apartment. The elevator seemed to creep along at the slowest speed imaginable as he waited for the numbers to increase, bringing him closer and closer to their floor.

 

When the doors finally opened he jogged down the hall, paranoia now fully setting in. Would Kyuhyun even be ready to hear him out? His fingers were shaking as he tried to punch in the door code, getting it wrong twice before he heard the door unlock.

 

“Kyu!” he yelled as he burst through the door.

 

There was absolute silence.

 

“Baby, look, I know we started things off really bad tonight, but I want to make things better,” said Siwon as he hurriedly kicked off his shoes.

 

“I know it’s probably not enough in your eyes, but really, I am sorry. I wasn’t listening to you, you were right. I know you’ve been stressed out, and you need some time for yourself. So I’ve been thinking of some ways we can work this out, for all of us,” he said as he walked through the living room and towards their bedroom.

 

When he reached it, he slowed down, noticing the room was dark but the door was wide open.

 

“Kyu?” he asked as he found the light switch on the wall.

 

When the light illuminated the entire room, he found it empty. Refusing to believe that Kyuhyun wasn’t there, Siwon walked over to their bathroom, but that was empty too. Though, he noticed the warm dampness from inside.

 

“Kyu?!” he called out walking into Daerim’s room.

 

That too was empty, as was their office.

 

Panic set in as he realized that Kyuhyun was now gone.

 

As he stood there, slowly beginning to accept that he was really alone, his phone started ringing, Running back into the living room, Siwon looked high and low for his phone. Earlier, in his haste to leave, he had forgotten it when he left to take Daerim to his in-laws and now for the life of him, he couldn’t remember where it was.

 

“Damn it!” he yelled as he tore through the pile of his things that were still in the middle of the floor.

 

He practically split the nylon of his gym bag to open it, dumping it onto the floor in the search for his ringing phone. As the phone fell to the floor with a loud thud, he scrambled to pick it up.

 

Kyuhyun’s name was on the screen.

 

“Kyu?! Kyu?! Are you there?!” he practically screamed into the receiver.

 

But the call had ended.

 

“Kyu no!” he moaned as he tried calling him back. “Baby I’m right here! Pick up! Pick up!”

 

He was met with the sound of Kyuhyun’s voicemail.

 

The next sound he heard was his phone hitting the wall, the case cracking as it fell to the floor. Siwon cupped his face as his chest rose and fell with each frustrated breathe he took.

 

 

 


a/n: Sorry for the delay guys. But I got super over this chapter. It was also nearing 20 pages so I decided to break it in half. It won't take as long for the next part, I promise! I know it's getting really angsty, but things will get better, I swear ^^