Chapter 9: Last Goodbyes

Waiting for You (당신을 기다리는)

My dearest Lily,

                I’m sorry you had to read this letter. I wish there was some other way for me to contact you, but I felt this was the only right thing to do. I couldn’t find enough courage to tell you this in person. The look on your face, the last time we spoke, was unbearable. Your sadness was something I couldn’t get over. I had no idea how I, as your best friend, could help you. Mianhaeyo…

                Lily…I’ll be leaving for America tomorrow. I will be staying in California with family on my father’s side. I don’t know when or if I’ll be back. I just need time away from Korea to be with my family. I don’t have much time to live, as my heart continues to fail, so I want to spend as much time with them as possible. Please understand.

I’m so sorry I couldn’t be a proper friend to you, Lily. I’ve done nothing but be a bother and a disappointment to you. I’m sorry you’ve wasted so many tears on me. I’m so sorry I didn’t try hard enough to keep you happy. And most of all, I’m so sorry I couldn’t remember anything that happened before the accident. This may be my last goodbye to you, Lily.

I’m so sorry.

Saranghaehayo.

 

Your friend,

      Kyungsoo.