Chapter 5: Welcome Home

Waiting for You (당신을 기다리는)

“I know we’ve kept in touch, Oppa, but the least you could have done was let me know that you were returning to Seoul.” You say as you pour Jongdae sweet tea in a small mug.

“Why? You aren’t happy to see me, Lily?” He laughs before taking a sip of his tea.

You pause and smirk at Jongdae. His humor was something you’ve always admired. You take a seat in front of Jongdae and place your hands on the table.

“Ah jinjja, Lily. How have things been around here since the last time we spoke?” Jongdae brightly asks, anticipating your answer.

“Hmm, Eomma and Appa have moved to Canada, on business, about two weeks ago,” you begin, “I don’t exactly know when they’ll be back. I’ve been lonely here, but I’ve been keeping in touch with them as well. I’ve been living quite well on my own, to be honest. I’ve kept the house clean and managed to cook a little. I even paid some of the incoming bills with the allowance Eomma has been sending me. So things have been going well.”

“I can tell you’ve been having no trouble at all living on your own. You look great too, Lily.” Jongdae smiles.

“Oh stop it.” You roll your eyes and smile in embarrassment.

Jongdae laughs but doesn’t say anything at first. Instead, he stares you down with the biggest grin on his face. You don’t know what he could possibly have on his mind, at that moment.

“How has Kyungsoo been?” Jongdae is one of Kyungsoo’s best friends too. You’re not surprised he’s asked such a question. You only look away and don’t say a word.

“Something has happened, am I right? His mother left me countless voice messages on my cell phone, but due to the extra charges that applied, I didn’t have the change to get a listen.” Jongdae looks concerned.

“Kyungsoo’s heart…is failing, Jongdae,” you find it difficult to pick out the right words, “He has cardiomyopathy. Kyungsoo collapsed and a brain injury occurred…causing him to have temperate or permanent…memory loss.”

“I-I had no idea. If I knew, I would have come home sooner for Kyungsoo. For you. I’m so sorry.” Jongdae moves out of his seat to sit beside you.

“Two days ago, he asked me…a question. He took me to the beach and asked me if we should begin to go out in public…as a couple. He told me he loved me enough, he wanted something better for both of us. I thought it was so absurd. I thought he was kidding. I brushed his thought away. How inconsiderate of me, Jongdae. I must have disappointed him. Regardless of everything, he took me to an expensive restaurant and even surprised me for my birthday, in front of everyone there. I’ve never felt so thankful towards someone in my entire life. I invited him over, and we continued to have a great time. You may not understand, Jongdae. What happened two days ago, was the highlight and the cherry on top of our long, four year friendship. Something in Kyungsoo has changed. I’ve known Kyungsoo for four years now, and everything that happened two days ago…made me love Kyungsoo even more. I wanted to tell him that I’ve changed my mind and that I do want to start a new relationship with him. I really do, Jongdae. But the fact that he can’t even remember…” You pause and tears begin to fall down your face. The thought of losing the Kyungsoo you knew, at a time like this, was unbearable. “Mianhaeyo, Jongdae. I don’t mean to be like this.” You wipe your tears away with your sleeve.

Jongdae doesn’t say anything. He pulls you close for a supportive embrace. He tries to calm you down by the back of your head. As he pulls away from the hug, he wipes the remaining tears on your face away.

“There’s no way in hell Kyungsoo is going to forget the peak of your relationship. I know, deep down, he still loves you, Lily. All it takes is a little bit of patience. I promise.” Even though Jongdae was a joker, he always knew exactly what to say. You turn to him and smile. You’re so grateful that Jongdae was able to listen to you vent out all of the feelings you’ve been holding in for two days.

“Jongdae Oppa, gomawoyo. Gomawoyo jeongmal” You pat the side of his head. You look at the time and you discover its 9PM, late in the evening. “Jongdae, where are you staying now that you’re back in Korea? Are you returning home with your parents?”

Jongdae hesitates and tries to remember. “Oh! Aniyo. My parents sold the house and moved to Busan to be closer with my grandparents on my Mother’s side. I was thinking about staying at a hotel until my parents are able finalize a home for me here in Seoul.”

“Jongdae, why don’t you stay here instead?” You were quite proud of yourself for thinking such a thing.

“What? Aniya, Lily, I can’t have you do that for me.” Jongdae brushes off the idea.

“Oppa,” You say in a serious voice, “I can’t have you stay in a crappy hotel in Seoul for who knows how long. Come on, Oppa, please take my offer.”

Jongdae hesitates. “Hmm…alright. Kamsahabnida, Lily. I really appreciate all you’re doing.”

You walk out of the room and return to the living room with a pair of bed sheets and a soft blanket. You offer them to Jongdae and he kindly takes it. He bows.

“You don’t need to thank me, Oppa. Welcome home.”