Chapter 13: Ready. Set. Go.

Waiting for You (당신을 기다리는)

"Lily, come on, you didn't have to walk away." Jongdae is crossing is arms as he takes a seat beside you. Annoyed, you stand up and walk towards your kitchen. You begin to make dinner to keep your mind occupied.

"Well, there goes trying to be a good neighbor." You smirk at your own joke. 

"Lily, running away from your problems isn't going to solve anything." You flinch at Jongdae's comment. Fed up, you slam the sashimi knife you're holding onto the chopping board, resulting in a huge dent. Jongdae almost flinches too in your anger.

"What makes you think I'm running away, Jongdae? I didn't run away from the problem, the problem came back home." You turn back to the chopping board and try to retrieve the sashimi knife. You struggle as the blade has really dug into the board. Jongdae sighs and helps you.

"What if he's changed, Lily?" He crosses his arms once again, "It's been over three months since you've seen him. Maybe there's a deeper reason as to why he's returned home. Maybe...he finally remembered." Jongdae's voice faded at the last comment. He was really trying to help you, but you've moved on. 

"That may be so, Jongdae." You continue to slice the rolls of Kimbap Jongdae has prepared hours before. You don't look away to meet his eyes. "But like you said, he's been gone for over three months. He was my best friend, Jongdae. The least he could have done was kept in touch. I've been worried sick and not a single word. He has my number, he could have called. He has my address, he could have wrote. But did he? NO." This was true. Your voice was tense and filled with anger. Jongdae knew how upset you were.

"I understand where you're coming from, Lily. Believe me I do." He places his hand on your shoulder. "But you have to see where he's coming from as well. These past few months must have been rally hard on him. With the accident, his heart condition...his memory loss...Do you think he wanted these situations to happen? Of course not, Lily. I know Kyungsoo. He would do anything to keep you close." He pouts. 

You don't say anything after that. Jongdae had a point. You were only dealing with Kyungsoo's absence; Kyungsoo had so much more on his plate.

Jongdae takes the prepared food and places them on the dining table. He precisely sets the table and you two enjoy your meal. Well, at least Jongdae did. You had too much on your mind. You love Jongdae's Kimbap, but you haven't eated a single roll. Jongdae notices this. 

"Hey~ You love my homemade Kimbap; you haven't touched a single thing on the table. Lily, is everything okay?" He says placing his chopsticks on the table.

You look down. "What if I have been selfish to Kyungsoo? What if I have been inconsiderate when he needed me the most? I only cared about myself, I didn't acknowledge or consider what he was going through." You voice was almost raspy with the tears building up in your eyes. 

"Oh Lily." Jongdae walks to your side and pulls you in for a hug. He smiles at your consideration for Kyungsoo, despite everything's that has happened over the course of three months. He the back of your head, and tries to calm you down. You're crying at this point, but you're glad Jongdae was here. He pulls away and wipes your tears.  "Have I ever told you, you don't look very attractive when you cry?" You both laugh. He always laughed whenever you cried, no matter what the circumstances were.

"Gomawoyo, Oppa." You smile. "I'm sorry for being like this."

Jongdae shakes his head and continues to eat. He smiles at you in reassurance. "After we eat, why don't you head over to Kyungsoo's house? I'll stay here and clean up. You two need the privacy anyways."