Chapter 2: Unwelcomed Surprises

Waiting for You (당신을 기다리는)

You pull yourself together in a tight embrace. The feeling of even being in this building scares you to death. A place where people are born, a place where people die. The thought of this runs shivers down your spine. As you wait anxiously in the waiting room, you do nothing but pace around. You bite your fingernails, a bad habit you have just discovered. You pour coffee into a paper cup, only for it to be left untouched. You refuse to do anything until you see a doctor walk out of that damn room. 

You see Kyungsoo's mother walk towards the waiting room. You stop in your tracks and run to hug her close. You embrace her tight knowing that she needs all the support she can get. 

"Ahjumma..how is he?" You say handing her an unused tissue for her tears. 

"Gomawoyo, Lily. Thank you for being here." 

"Of course, Ahjumma, anything for you and Kyungsoo Oppa," you begin to say, "Please tell me he is going to be okay." 

"If you would like to see him, I will have the nurses let you in," She kindly offers you. 

As you sit by what seems to be his lifeless body, you cannot help but release your tears in agony. Your heart aches at the sight of all of the electrical wires run up and down his forearms and down his shirt. You can see his every heart beat on the ECG. The thought of losing your best friend was frightening. You grab his hand and hold it tightly in both of yours. His skin is cold and pale. You kiss his hand and keep your head down low. 

"Oppa...please wake up. You have to...for your sister, your eomma, your appa...for me. Please...please..." Your voice cracks with every cry. 

Just then, a small cough comes out of Kyungsoo and your head shoots up to face him. You wipe your tears and hug him tight. 

"W-Where...am I?" Kyungsoo faintly asks. 

"Kyungsoo...you're at a hospital here in Seoul." You begin, "Your mother...found you almost lifeless in the hallway of your house when she returned home from work. Oppa...do you remember anything?" 

"A-Aniyo...Lily...The last thing I remember is...walking up the lawn...after returning...from your house...I think," Kyungsoo finds it difficult to remember, "Other than that...I don't remember anything else..."

"...Oppa. Do you remember our day at the beach?"

"Aniyo."

"The restaurant?"

"Aniyo."

"The birthday cake?"

"Birthday cake?"

"Oppa...do you remember what you asked me today...at the beach?"

"Lily, I don't remember anything other than what I've told you." Kyungsoo looks exhausted, his face still flushed. You get up from your seat and turn to walk towards the door in disappointment. 'How could he have forgotten everything so soon?'

You decide to ask him one more question, "Oppa...what day is it today?"

"Today? Hmm...It's Thursday today, why?"

You grab the handle of the door before leaving the room, "I'm so glad you're okay. Mianhae...I'm sorry but I have to go..." 

Before you can give Kyungsoo a chance to reply you leave the room in shock. As you close the door behind you, you lean on the door and hold your hands close to your mouth. 'He forgot everything. The beach. The beautiful restaurant he took me too. The cake. My birthday. And most of all...the question. How can I be sure he would be able to remember how to love me the way he once did? He forgot the best day we've ever had as friends...Where did Kyungsoo go?...' Knowing the possibility of losing your best friend forever haunts you. You storm out of the hospital, leaving Kyungsoo behind, as well as your past.