Chapter 3: Down the Road

Waiting for You (당신을 기다리는)

Though it's Saturday, you're working hard on your school assignments. But you can't seem to get Kyungsoo off your mind and the events that took place two days ago. You close your books and gaze out the window. It's a beautiful day out. The sun's rays are penetrating the Earth, the birds are chirping and the sky is as clear as the sea. Usually on a day like this you and Kyungsoo would make your way to the street markets to do a little bit of shopping, or hang out at the park to take countless selcas. Typical things. You drop your head to your arms on your desk and sigh. Then, you hear the your cellphone ring. A text message.

12:02 PM ~ 08/09/12

Kyungsoo Oppa:

       Annyeong Lily~ Guess what! I just got discharged from the hospital. 

   Come see me? 

After reading the message you place your phone down on your desk. You don't reply to Kyungsoo. You're still disappointed in him. How could you be though? His condition was none of his fault. He couldn't control what he can and can't remember, so why be mad? You shake your thoughts away, sigh and decide to meet Kyungsoo. It's a ten minute drive from your house to the hospital. When you arrive at the hospital, you see him sitting on a bench in front of the building and honk your car horn. He looks up in your direction and happily waves, running to the passenger seat of your car. 

"Annyeong, Lily~ Eotteoke jinasaeyo? It's really warm out today" Kyungsoo says as he enters the car before you drive along the road.

"I'm...alright, Oppa. How are you? I mean...how are you feeling?" You're still concerned for Kyungsoo.

"I'm feeling better than I did two days ago. The doctor says I have a heart condition called...cardio...myo...pathy...Cardiomyopathy." He struggles with the medical term. You laugh a little, and let him continue, "It's where the heart grows in size and mass but the heart deteriorates. There are these prescibtion pills I have to take to keep my heart going." 

"So that night when your mother found you, your heart must have failed and caused you to collapse. Your blurred memory must be when your head broke your fall." It all makes sense now, "Do you know if the memory loss is temporate?"

"The doctors said it can either be temporate or permanent. Only time will be able to tell."

You're disappointed at the results of his memory loss. So you don't say anything. Your focus was on the road and you decide to let Kyungsoo break the silence. 

"So what did we do that day, Lily? ...The day I was brought to the hospital. You mentioned a ton of things, but I don't seem to remember."

You hesitate. You decide against telling Kyungsoo. You don't want to be a bother so you remain quiet.

"Lily, did I offend you? On the day you came to visit me?" Kyungsoo looked upset.

"W-what? A-Aniyo, Oppa. Don't worry about me." You grip the steering wheel tighter, "You must be hungry, let's go out to eat." 

"Okay~" Kyungsoo cheers sitting back in his seat. 

After ordering your food, you don't say much to Kyungsoo. You only watch him eat. It seems that hospital food isn't very fulfilling. You're happy you could at least satisfy his appetite. You didn't order as much food compared to Kyungsoo. All you ordered was a small cup of sweet tea. It's warm against your fingertips so you ocassionally blow on the mug to cool it down. You decide to break the silence and continue to investigate the capacity of Kyungsoo's memories. 

"Oppa...how long have we been friends for?" You ask, staring him down.

"About...four years now? Remember? We met at that dance showcase and we've been friends since. Haha Lily, what kind of question is that?" He laughs, swallowing the last few bits of food in his mouth. You decide that asking him any more questions is pointless. After Kyungsoo finishes his meal, you pay for the bill and drive down the road. At first it's quiet in the car, but again, Kyungsoo was the first to break the silence.

"Hey, Lily, this path we're taking...it seems so familiar. Where are we going?" Kyungsoo asks.

You don't look away from the road to glance at Kyungsoo, "You'll see," was all you said.