Chapter 8: The Envelope

Waiting for You (당신을 기다리는)

It’s Saturday. Jongdae is sleeping in, and you have awakened early for the day to come. You prepare breakfast for yourself and Jongdae. Pieces of bacon and egg laid out on a single plate, a piece of toast barely hanging from your mouth. It’s 10AM, you’re late. You don’t want to disturb Jongdae so you quickly write a note on a notepad instead:

                Annyeonghasaeyo Jongdae Oppa~

                                Did you sleep well? Mianhaeyo Jongdae; I had to run out early. I’m going to be meeting up with Victoria Unnie and then I’ll be making my way to the street market to do myself a bit of shopping. I’ll be home as soon as possible, okay? Have a great day, Jongdae Oppa!

You place the finished note next Jongdae’s breakfast, grab your keys and walk out the door. The sun is shining and it’s a wonderful day out, so you decide not to take your car today.  You walk to the MochaDelightCafe in town to meet up with Victoria. As you approach the café, you see Victoria jumping up and down in joy, waving.

“Lily! Lily! Annyeong~!” Victoria waves.

“Victoria Unnie! Annyeonghasaeyo! Eotteoke jinasaeyo?” You say, embracing her.

“Oh jinjja, Lily. I’ve been great, busy actually. I haven’t seen you in so long. You look awesome.” Victoria smiles with her teeth and pats your new skirt.

“Come on, Unnie. Let’s talk over coffee.” You say opening the door to the café.

You and Victoria order your beverages and walk towards your seats at a nearby table.

You first take a sip of your cup of coffee. “How have you and your boyfriend been? Update me, Unnie.”

“Hmm…we actually broke up a month ago.” Victoria shyly smiles.

Your jaw drops. “I-I’m so sorry, Unnie. You’ve been with him for over, 5 years, yes? I was so sure you guys would settle in together in the future. What happened?”

“I lost fate in our relationship. I started to lose feelings for him. You know, the feelings were mutual for both of us as well. He was going off to school in Australia, and I was going to pursue my dreams of going to Julliard in New York City. We both couldn’t handle being thousands of miles apart with Skype being our only way of communicating. So I decided to be the one who would break it off. I loved him, I still do. I spent a great deal of my life with him; it’s hard to say that I’m going to just forget about the times where I was at my happiest. It’s just that with both of our schedules, the flame in our five year long relationship died out.” Victoria looks down at her cup, turning it slowly with her fingertips. You place your hand on top of Victoria’s.

“I’m so sorry, Unnie. I admire your strength. Believe me, you’ll get through this. You’re going to become a great performer after attending Julliard. All of this will be worth it in the end. And who knows, maybe you two can coincidently meet and possibly even start again.” You gently smile, hoping to show enough of your support.

“Gomawoyo, Lily. You always know what to say.” Victoria places her other hand on top of yours. “How have things been with you and Kyungsoo? I know it must be hard on you, with him leaving for the States and all.”

You heart sinks to your stomach. Cold blood rushes to your head. “He left? …For A-America?”

Victoria looks just as confused as you do. “L-Lily. You didn’t know?”

“N-No…I had no idea.” You stand up and begin to leave the café.

“He left a week ago. He’ll be staying in California to visit family. I-I’m so sorry, Lily.” Victoria says as she stands from her seat. Sympathy present in her voice as she calls out to you.

You run home in shock. When you reach the front door, you find it difficult to insert your key into the lock. Your vision is blocked by the amount of tears pouring out of your eyes. Jongdae must have gone out somewhere; you haven’t seen his car parked in the driveway. You throw your purse onto floor and gruesomely walk towards the living room. You sit on the floor with your back resting on the couch. You hug your legs and bury your face in them.

“Kyungsoo’s gone? H-How…? Without saying…goodbye?” You ask yourself. As you raise your head, you notice a piece of sky blue paper on the floor. You discover the corner of an envelope poking out from under the corner of the coffee table. You slowly pick the envelope up to examine it. The envelope has been addressed to you. On the top left corner, lies a return address. Kyungsoo’s address. You don’t recall seeing this envelope being dropped into your mailbox. You’ve never seen this envelope until now. Just then, the front door swings open and Jongdae happily walks in. You get up from your seat and turn to face Jongdae. Your eyes filled with overflowing tears. Your expression petrified; the envelope in your hand.

“Oh …” Jongdae whispers to himself.