Chapter 1: One Wish

Waiting for You (당신을 기다리는)

"Oppa~ Wait for me!" You call out. You find it difficult to run on wet sand. You nearly trip on occassions, but manage to pull yourself up. When you finally catch up to Kyungsoo, you leap onto his back for him to carry you as he runs across the beach line. Your wrap your arms around his neck with his arms supporting your weight from behind. Both of you laugh hesterically as Kyungsoo purposely falls on his knees to drop you into the cold ocean water. The sun is high in the sky, yet the scenery above turns to a blue-lavender color. The on coming waves of the ocean are gently clashing along the shore. Why you agreed to come to a place like this, you will never understand. Regardless, you couldn't have asked for a better moment than this. 

"Ah jinjja, Oppa. I'm soaked, thanks a lot" You laugh as you dry your hair with a towel.

"Hey, it's blazing hot out today, this is exactly what we needed." He takes his t-shirt off and squeezes out all of the water. His milky skin shining with the sun. You couldn't help yourself but stare, liking what you see. 

"Enjoying the view from there?" Kyungsoo winks at you. 

"Ew, Oppa, yea right. Keep dreaming." You turn the other way and roll your eyes. You smile hoping to hide your embarassment. You then sit on the warm sand and cross your arms. He can be so narcissistic sometimes. 

Kyungsoo stretches and takes a seat close beside you, "Hey Lily, you never really answered my question," He turns to you and smirks. You hated it when he was like this. 

"Oppa...I don't really know what you want me to say." You hug your legs, look away and toy with the sand in your fingertips. 

"Listen to your heart, Lily." Kyungsoo says taking your hand. 

"Oppa...we've been good friends for four years now. Don't you think that taking another step is too...risky? We're fine the way we are, Oppa, I'm already so thankful." You pull your hand out of his grasp and hug your legs tighter. "I'm sorry, Oppa. It's just not a good idea right now..."

He takes your face in his hands and shifts so that you're facing him now. "I completely understand, I'm just teasing you, Lily." Kyungsoo smiles and drops his hands. He seems a little down, but he manages to get over your words. "Ha-ja~ Let's go! Are you hungry yet? Let's go find a place to eat at, my treat!" Kyungsoo always paid for the bills whenever you two went out. You feel awful for not contributing, but he insists it's not a problem. Satisfied, you nodd and help pack your beach equipment. The towels are now dried and so are you. Sun bathing seemed to have done the trick. You fold the towels and pack it into your beach bag. Kyungsoo closes the beack umbrella, tucks it under his arm and walks to your side. 

"Oppa, thank you for today. I really had a good time," You say as you pack everything into the trunk of Kyungsoo's silver 2012 Ford Fusion. Despite his question, you're still thankful you got to spend a day at the beach with him. This was something you've always wanted to do, but never had the courage to face him. You're grateful at the fact that he must have read your mind. He walks you to the passenger seat but doesn't open the door for you right away. He takes your hand and gently holds it in his.

"Lily, the day isn't over yet," He kisses your head and finally leads you into the car. You laugh and roll your eyes and shake your head. 

Kyungsoo takes you to an exquisite restaurant. Diamond chandeliers hang from the high ceiling and everyone around you is dressed in formal clothing. You're relieved that Kyungsoo had told you in advanced to prepare such clothing. 

"This is...really nice, Kyungsoo Oppa. Are you sure this is alright?" You ask him politely.

"Are you kidding? Of course this is! Don't worry, Lily. Eat up and enjoy~" He says with a chewed piece of lobster in his mouth. You laugh at the sight of him. You take your thumb and gently wipe the excess sauce from the side of his mouth and smile. You decide not to argue and does as he pleads. The food was definitely enjoyable. 

The night consisted of an elegant restaurant filled with amazing food, beautiful classical music playing in the background and nothing but flatter and laughter as you conversed with Kyungsoo. Being with your best friend at a time like this was perfect. The night was perfect. 

"Excuse me, Lily, I have to go to the restroom. I'll be right back." He says as he gets out of his seat. Before you can say anything, Kyungsoo has already disappeared. You have decided to put your coat on and patiently wait for Kyungsoo. Moments later, you see Kyungsoo walking towards you with a small white cake in his hand, while his other hand is blocking the flame to prevent it from going out. You're so embarassed by this and you can't even pick out words to say. Everyone around you is cheering in excitement, you even hear the other teenaged girls awe in envy. You cover your mouth in your hands and stand up. 

"YA! Kyungsoo Oppa! What on Earth do you think you're doing? What is this?" You're still laughing at the whole event. You wave your hand around your face to block the embarassment.

"Saengil chukha habnida! Saengil chukha habnida! Saengil chukha dear Lily! Saengil chukha habnida~!" Kyungsoo sings as he places the cake on the table and pulls you in for tight, loving embrace. He the back of your head and kisses your forehead. Everyone has sung along and is still in awe at what they see. 

"Happy birthday, Lily~ Another year as your friend is another blessing for me. May you have many more birthdays to come. I love you so much." Kyungsoo pulls you away but you're still in his grasp. You've known him for so long now, and yet, he's never pulled a stunt like this before. You're extremely happy, yet embarassed. Your mind is filled with mixed emotions, but you're definitely not mad. As you turn away you didn't realize that tears of joy and happiness were running down your face. Kyungsoo laughs as he wipes your face dry and holds the cake out in front of you.

"You better hurry and make a wish, Lily. The flame is going to die out soon." 

You close your eyes, 'I wish nothing but happiness for Kyungsoo Oppa and I. Gomawoyo Oppa and saranghae~'' You open your eyes and blow the flame away. Kyungsoo places the cake on the table and hugs you again. 

"Gomawoyo, Kyungsoo Oppa. Gomawoyo~" Were the only words you could manage to say. 

"Cheonmaneyo, Lily~ Ha-ja! You must be tired. Let me take you home now." He smiles and orders the waiter to place the cake into a box. You nod in approval and take his hand. Kyungsoo and you are as strong as ever. You can't explain to him how much you appreciate everything he's done. 

You're exhausted. The feeling of Kyungsoo's surprise is still overwhelming you. It's been two hours since you've been at the restaurant and you're still shaken up. You pace around your house and you can't help but smile. The half eaten birthday cake has been placed by Kyungsoo in the fridge before he left. You're so blessed to have Kyungsoo as your best friend. He's done nothing but be a great friend. You don't know how you can top anything he's done tonight.

You decide to wash up and get ready for bed. It's 11PM now and you're as tired as you've ever been. You decide to settle into bed and continue to read an unfinished book until you dose off into slumber. All of a sudden, your cellphone begins to ring. 

"Who can possibly be calling at this hour?" You say outloud as you wait for your phone to display the caller. It's Kyungsoo's eomma. 

"Yoboseyo Ahjumma~ Eotteoke jinasaeyo?" You brightly say.

"OH LILY-NIM! Thank goodness you're still awake. Please! Come quickly! Something has happened to Kyungsoo," Ahjumma cries on the other line.

Your heart sinks into your stomach. Without a question, you jump out of bed, grab your car keys and speed down the road. You don't care that you're in your pajamas driving down the road in the middle of the night. You're 30 km over the speed limit. You disregard the road signs as you wipe the overflowing tears from your eyes away. The feeling of losing Kyungsoo scares you to death.