Chapter 7: Moving On

Waiting for You (당신을 기다리는)

It’s been over two weeks since you’ve last spoken to Kyungsoo. During those two weeks, you’ve been trying hard to keep yourself occupied. Jongdae has been helping you as well. He takes you on his weekly trips to the grocery store, he takes you to the mall, he even takes you to the carnival that’s in town. You’ve had a great time with Jongdae. Being with him has made you the happiest you’ve been in a long time. You can’t thank Jongdae enough for being there for you when you needed someone the most. You’ve completely shut out Kyungsoo and have replaced him with Jongdae. You know this is wrong, but you continue to go on.

“Wow, Oppa~ Thank you for taking me here. I’m starving. Kamsahabnida~” You say as you stuff a piece of bread into your mouth.

“Cheonmanaeyo, Lily. You’ve been having me stay in your house for almost three weeks now. I’m trying really hard to make it up to you.” Jongdae smiles.

“Ah aniyo, Oppa. I’m rather thankful you’ve been staying at my house.” You softly smile back at Jongdae.

Jongdae decides to change the subject, “How have you been lately?”

You hesitate. “I’ve been well. These past few weeks have been difficult, but thanks to you I’ve been getting by well.”

“I’m glad that I’ve been able to help, Lily. You seem happier these days. Have you talked to Kyungsoo lately?”

“Aniyo, Jongdae. I’ve decided to just completely shut him out. I know it’s wrong but I felt that I didn’t have any choice. Thinking about Kyungsoo greatly saddened me so I had to do myself a favor. It’s been over two weeks since I’ve talked to him.” You play with the food on your plate with a fork.

“Oh, really? I’m sorry to hear that. I wish things would have turned out differently for you and Kyungsoo. But if it’s for the best, you have my full support.” Jongdae looks a bit disappointed. You don’t blame him.

“I think it’s for the best. For both of us. I mean, I was only holding Kyungsoo back with my thoughts. I didn’t want to have him constantly worry about me and I didn’t want to wait on him any longer. I do love Kyungsoo, but probably not the same way I once did. Regardless, I’m sure he’s doing fine.” You shake your head and take a sip of your tea.

Both of you don’t say anything more on the subject afterwards. Jongdae changes the subject once again and you finish your meal. You and Jongdae continue to have a great time and go onwards with your night. Jongdae tells you about his recent trip to the library where a tiny Shiba Inu had followed him home and he refused to leave the animal unattended. He told you about all of his adventures while staying at his grandparents’ house in China. You enjoyed conversing with Jongdae. His stories always made you laugh and smile.

When you and Jongdae return home from an enjoyable night out, you both decide to watch a late night movie before heading off to bed. Half way into the movie, you hear light snores coming out of Jongdae. Jongdae dosed off to sleep, his head resting on your shoulder. You shift a little so that you can get more comfortable.

Jongdae awake in your movements. “Did I fall asleep?” Jongdae asks.

“Haha yes. It’s okay, get some rest, Oppa.” You push him to rest on your lap. He looked exhausted.

 You realize how peaceful his features looked when he was asleep. You his head with your hand and smile. You decide not to disturb him, so you try hard to avoid movement. His head was a little heavy on your lap, but you don’t mind.

You realize that there was more to your life than just worrying about Kyungsoo. Now that you’ve almost entirely move on and that Jongdae was here with you, all of your troubles seem to have fly away. You’re thankful for everything Jongdae has done for you these past few weeks. But the fact that you still have Jongdae made everything better. It’s hard to determine if Kyungsoo and you are even still friends. What a selfish thought.