Chapter 6: Giving Up

Waiting for You (당신을 기다리는)

You’ve been awake for most of the night tossing and turning in your bed thinking about Kyungsoo. Once you’ve finally dosed off to sleep, the sun was just starting to rise. The sun’s rays sneaks through your curtains and you awake two hours later. You feel exhausted. You decide to start making breakfast for two. You just remembered the fact that Jongdae will be staying in your house for the time being.

When you walk into the kitchen, you realize that an egg carton, a milk carton and a variety of vegetables are placed on the counter. You look to the fridge and see Jongdae sticking his head inside, possibly looking for something. “Ah, there’s the juice carton~” He says to himself. When he sees you as he pulls himself away from the fridge, he slightly flinches in surprise.

“Annyeong, Lily,” Jongdae says as he friendly kisses your head in greeting, “I hope you don’t mind me raiding your fridge, I decided to make both of us some breakfast.”

“A-Annyeonghasaeyo, Oppa. Aniyo, I don’t mind at all. I appreciate this. This looks delicious. Gomawoyo.” You say taking a seat. You yawn.

“Get enough sleep?” Jongdae smirks.

“No.” You say rubbing your eyes.

“I know you’ve been lacking sleep lately, Lily. You’ve been thinking of Kyungsoo, huh?” He places a plate filled with a cooked omelette in front of you as well as him. You nod.  

“After breakfast, go back to sleep, okay? I’ll go out and do a bit of grocery shopping and I’ll clean up as well. Don’t argue because it’s the least I can do. Okay?” Jongdae says with a piece of omelette already in his mouth. His eye smile reassuring you.

You thank him and smile. “Did you sleep well?” You ask.

“Last night was the best sleep I’ve had in weeks. Sleeping on a farm in the middle of China isn’t exactly my cup of tea.” Jongdae laughs.

“I’m sure it must have been great to be out of the city for a bit.”

“It was. Getting away from the noise and the air pollution was just what I needed.”

You smile and continue to eat. You’re glad that Jongdae was finally back home in Korea. When he left unexpectedly when summer vacation started, you were a bit saddened. After breakfast, you decide to clean up. It’s the least you can do. Jongdae was your guest as well; you couldn’t have him do all the chores around the house. You decide to take Jongdae’s advice and go back to sleep. You crawl back into bed and close your eyes. Just then, your cellphone rings. A text message.

9:34 AM ~ 11/08/12

Kyungsoo Oppa

                Good morning, Lily. We need to talk.

                Meet me at the park in five?

You close the text message and shift in your bed. You’re not in the mood to deal with Kyungsoo. There’s nothing more you can tell him about what happened three days ago. There’s nothing you can do to help him regain his memory. You can’t stay mad at him for not remembering; you can’t keep avoiding him either. Tangled in your thoughts, Jongdae knocks on your bedroom door and tiptoes in. You’re surprised at this; Jongdae has always been the type to just barge in unexpectedly.

“Ah, you’re still awake. Lily, I’m just going to go to the grocery store to pick up a few things and then I have to go to the post office to mail this letter to my Eomma. I’ll be back home real quick, I promise.” Jongdae waves the sealed envelope in his hand.

“Oh jinjja? Araso. Don’t worry about me, Oppa, take your time.” You say sitting up on your bed. “There’s also another thing…”

“Yea? What’s that?” Jongdae his head to the side in wonder.

“Kyungsoo asked me to meet him at the park in five minutes.” You look down at your cellphone.

Jongdae pauses and nods. “I think you should go and meet him. Good luck.” Jongdae smiles and walks out of the room, closing the door behind him.

As you make your way to the park, you hug your body for warmth. Though the sun is out, it’s a little chilly today. You notice Kyungsoo sitting at a picnic table under a tree. He’s waving at you, “Lily, over here~” You softly smile and walk towards Kyungsoo. When you’re close enough, he gets up from his seat and greets you with a friendly hug. You don’t do the same, you only smile at Kyungsoo.

“How are you, Lily?” He asks offering you a seat in front of him.

“I’ve been alright.” You look away for a moment and return your gaze at Kyungsoo.

“I mean, really. The last time we met, you looked…almost sad. It’s as if you weren’t happy to see me.” Kyungsoo almost frowns.

You shoot up in disbelief. “W-What? Aniya, Kyungsoo. Of course I am happy to see you. I’ve been so worried about you. I’m grateful that you’ve been recovering well.”

“Lily, I’ve known you long enough to realize when you’ve got something on your mind.”

“Kyungsoo, I have no right to be mad at you. Believe me, I’m not. I’m sorry but I just can’t-“ Before you can even finish what you have to say, you get out of your seat and begin to sprint away, leaving Kyungsoo behind. You can’t explain why you’ve been upset. You’ll only feel embarrassed. You’re worried that Kyungsoo will find his past actions ridiculous now that Kyungsoo has changed. You wipe away your tears and continue to make your way back home. As you make your way to the front door of your house, you notice that Jongdae’s car is parked at the front once again.

“Annyeonghasaeyo, Lily~ How did everything go with Kyungsoo?” He asks as he unpacks the groceries he had purchased.

“I don’t want to talk about it.” You don’t even stop to properly speak to him. You storm pass the living room and into your bedroom, slamming the door shut behind you.

You’ve only realized that you have forgotten your cellphone when you went to go meet up with Kyungsoo. You’re phone has been constantly ringing. You look at your phone and see:

12 Missed Calls : Kyungsoo Oppa

5 New Text Messages

3 New Voice Messages

You roll your eyes and throw your cellphone across the room; a loud bang as a result of the strong impact. You hug your legs and drop your head. You begin to cry with all of the mixed feelings deep inside of you. You hear a knock on your door and Jongdae walks in. He takes a seat beside you and hugs you close. With this simple gesture you couldn’t help but cry even more.

“I’m going to assume that things didn’t go to well with Kyungsoo. I’m so sorry.” His embrace grows in strength.

“I don’t know what to do anymore, Jongdae. I’m so close to just giving up. I can’t wait on him any longer.” You pound on Jongdae’s chest in frustration. He takes in the pain and doesn’t flinch. He only rubs your arm, trying to calm you down.

“My dear Lily, please don’t cry. I know Kyungsoo; he’ll remember. Just be patient with him, be there for him. At a time like this, with his condition and all, all he really needs is a friend. A best friend. He needs you, Lily.” Jongdae takes your face in his hands and stares you down. His eyes start to get watery as well. You can tell you’ve been worrying him greatly.

He was right. Kyungsoo did need you.