31st Dragon

The Dragon Prince

 

Jiyong paced in his bedroom, Youngbae and Daesung watched with concern.

“Your highness, please try and relax. Queen Nara hasn’t forbid you from seeing Lady Clara while she’s waiting for her trial.” Daesung was trying to calm the young prince. He knew that Clara meant a lot to him and would do anything to protect her. “I’m sure that this trial will make things better for her while she is here.”

“Better? What was better was when she didn’t have anything to do with me. But instead I showed up on her doorstep, my memory taken, and her life uprooted. This is all my fault!” He sat on the bed and let himself sink into the mattress while he held his head in his hands. “We shouldn’t have come here. I don’t deserve to be a prince if I can’t protect her.”

Youngbae huffed and stepped over to Jiyong. He slapped him across the face then kneeled before him. “You can protect her, your highness. You have done nothing but protect her since she’s known you. And she wanted nothing more than to return you to your family that you had forgotten. Lady Clara would not want to hear you say these things.”

Daesung and Jiyong looked at Youngbae in shock, then slowly relaxed as he spoke. “You’re right.” Jiyong stood and made his way to the door. “I’m going to do all I can to make sure Clara gets out of this.”

“And I have just the idea, your highness.” Seungri burst into the room, startling everyone. “What?”

“What is this idea you have Seungri?” Jiyong stepped over to him anxiously.

Seungri closed the door and sat down with a grin. “It’s fairly simple, and Queen Nara is also on board to keeping Lady Clara alive.” Jiyong’s eyes went wide. My mother...wants her alive? “Now, this doesn’t mean much in the way of keeping her from being labeled a terrorist. However, she is more inclined to take the path that will keep her alive and safe. For Prince Jiyong’s sake.”

“My sake?” He looked at the knight confused.

“That makes sense. The Prince’s return to the kingdom would be in jeopardy if anything were to happen to her.” Youngbae spoke up. “So what’s the plan, Seungri?”

 


Princess Lina waited outside King Jiwoon’s study with Jean in tow.

“King Jiwoon will see you now.” A servant stepped out of the way of the door for them to enter. Lina had a soft smile on her face, bowing respectfully when she saw the king.

“Your majesty.”

“Ah, Princess Lina. To what do I owe the pleasure of your audience?” King Jiwoon stood upon her entry.

“I would like to discuss what will be done about the traitor in the castle, sire. Lady Clara is a likely threat to the kingdom with her secrets and I fear that she may be hiding more than what she showcased at the ball last night.” Lina spoke clearly, her hands hidden in her sleeves as she cast a spell over the king. It would be difficult since his level of magic was leagues above her own but unlike Queen Nara, the king was married into the main royal family as a noble.

“What kind of secrets?” He sat down and looked at her puzzled. She could feel his magic fighting off her mind control spell but it was wearing away. She just needed a few more minutes.

“I believe she has a weapon with her that could cause an uprising for the crown. She was hiding something else last night but I couldn’t figure out what it could be.” She furrowed her brows to seem as if she were thinking hard about the supposed weapon. Her spell had hit another barrier in the king’s magic defenses but it seemed she didn’t need to work as hard when he spoke again.

“I see. If you can bring me proof of this weapon you believe her to have, then it will be a deciding factor in her sentencing.”

 Lina looked at him puzzled. “You would sentence her to death, I would hope.”

King Jiwoon laughed. “I would not. That would only push my son away from me and I just got him back in my life after so long.”

She stood up abruptly, startling him. “But if she is to be seen as a terrorist, how could you let her live?”

King Jiwoon looked her in the eye and smiled. “The same way I’m still allowing you to live.”

Her eyes grew wide. Does he know what I’m here for? “I’m not sure what you’re implying, Your Majesty. However, I do not agree with your decision.”

He scoffed. “Well, it is my kingdom to run as I see fit. We have had nothing but peace within my reign and I would like to keep it that way. But thank you for the input on this trial. Once my brother returns, we will have a decision to make.”

She huffed and left his chambers with a hasty bow. Jean followed behind her quietly as she stormed down the corridor. When she turned the corner for her chambers, she nearly ran into Queen Nara.

“I am very sorry, Your Majesty.” She stated quickly. “I was lost in thought and did not look where I was going.”

“It’s quite alright, Princess. I hope you enjoyed having a chat with my husband.” She smiled, one that felt so threatening that Lina had to take a step back. Without another word, she bowed and rushed to her room.

 


Clara tossed and turned in her bed. Sleep evaded her no matter how long she tried. She stared up at the ceiling and groaned, frustrated. Theo growled softly and padded his way over to her head from his sleeping spot at her feet.

“I’m ok. I just can’t sleep.” She smiled at him softly and his head, the cool scales against her fingers calming her mind. “The last few weeks have been hectic. I don’t know how I’m going to get through this trial without some kind of miracle.”

Theo cocked his head at her, blinking. She smiled and climbed out of the bed with Theo following behind her as she walked to the window. She looked out to see the soldiers guarding the front gates. Theo climbed up and sniffed the air.

“Hey, get down from there. Someone might see you and we’re in enough trouble as it is.” Clara giggled, holding Theo by his belly and bringing him down to her hip. He scrambled a bit, a small growl leaving his mouth. “What is it?”

She knew by now when to take Theo’s sounds seriously. He just looked at the open window, a look of fear and worry in his frosted eyes. Clara followed his gaze. She could see a cloud of smoke and snow moving towards the castle gates. She watched as the soldiers opened the gates and held her breath as she saw the figure of Duke Choi.

“No, this is too soon.” Theo let out a low growl as if in agreement then stiffened. He jumped over to the window and peered at Duke Choi’s figure. His eyes slit to focus on him and he hissed. “What is it?”

Clara peered out the window just as the young dragon did. She watched as the duke came down from his horse and grabbed a box from the side saddle, pushing past the soldiers that greeted him. “Out of my way. I have to speak with my brother urgently!”

Clara sighed. “Well, this can’t be good.” Theo could only growl in agreement.


Haha so...it took me over a week. Work caught up with me. However, the next update will come within 4 weeks. I'm working 10 hours 5 days a week at a Korean academy. I'm just exhausted every day. And the lunar new year was this past weekend! So Happy Lunar New Year! Welcome to the year of the rat! Also be careful out there with this new strain of the Coronavirus. Wash your hands and all that jazz. Take good care of yourself!

So, the Duke is back in town and a lot has happened while he was gone. I'm curious about what will happen at the trial.

Look forward to the next update!

~Snooo~