17th Dragon

The Dragon Prince

The Duke headed straight to his chambers once dinner had ended. He paced in his room a few times before stopping when he heard a knock on his door.

“Come in!” He said, walking over to his desk. He turned to see who had entered and it was his son, Seunghyun.

“Ah my boy. To what do I owe this pleasure?” He said smiling at his son.

“You called for me.” He said, his deep voice expanding throughout the room. It always surprised the Duke at how well his son had grown. He would make a perfect king.

“That’s right. My son, I have wonderful news. I’m going to make you a king!”

Seunghyun cocked his head sideways at his father. He always knew his father was a bit odd but this was something he never expected. “Why?”

The Duke turned back and sat down at his desk. “What do you mean ‘why’? Because you were going to be until your cousin returned from his disappearance.”

“That’s fine by me father. But I really don’t care to be king.” Seunghyun said, sitting down at the table in the room. He didn’t see his father stop and walk over to him.

“What do you mean you don’t want to be king? It’s your destiny!”

Seunghyun looked up and raised a brow at his father. “No. It’s not. If it were then Jiyong wouldn’t be here right now. But he is. Besides, my own interest in it isn’t that high.”

“Get out.” The Duke said simply. “I need some time to think.”

Seunghyun left, unfazed by his father’s growing anger and irritation with him. As he walked out the room, he ran into someone.

“Oh, I’m sorry.” He said, straightening himself up.

“Its fine, your highness. I wasn’t looking where I was going.” A soft female voice spoke to him. He looked to see Clara standing before him. He blinked at her slowly, picturing how his cousin could have kept her around for so long without marrying her. Even in his time of absence from the palace, Seunghyun somehow believed that his cousin was still alive somewhere.

“Were you in a hurry, miss?”

She nodded and smiled. “Just off to visit the knights quarters to speak with Daesung and Seungri. I haven’t seen much of them except for when necessary.”

Seunghyun nodded and turned to go back to his room. But he stopped and turned.

“I—” He started but when he turned around, Clara was nowhere to be found. Shrugging it off, he continued on his way to his room.

 

 

 

~~~

 

 

 

Clara really was headed on her way to see the knights. She walked down the hall, humming slightly to herself as she walked. Suddenly an arm grabbed her and pulled her close. She gasped and looked around to see if anyone was watching.

“It’s just me, Clara. No need to be afraid.” Kwon’s voice assured her, but it didn’t slow down the beating of her heart.

“What are you doing?” She asked, shrugging herself out of his embrace. “Can’t have your fiancé coming for my head.”

Kwon laughed and pulled her back into his arms. “She doesn’t matter. Besides, it’s just like you said. You’re my best friend. I may have my other memories back but I don’t think I could ever let you go.”

“Yeah, yeah. What are you doing here?” She asked looking up at him.

“I was waiting for you. I thought maybe we could ask the King and Queen to let your father come here.” He said smiling at her. Clara felt everything around her stop at his words. She had almost forgotten about her father.

“Are you sure he’ll even come? I mean we sent him a letter when we arrived but…” She hesitated.

“I have a feeling he will. Especially with that banquet coming up.”

Clara sighed and looked at the door at the end of the hall. “Maybe, but right now I need to speak to speak with Youngbae.”

Kwon looked at her curiously. “About what?”

“Don’t worry about me so much and go finish your magic training. You have to be strong enough in case you have to fight someday.” She said once again trying to escape his hold on her. Staying this close to him any second longer seemed almost dangerous to her.

Kwon chuckled low before holding her tighter. She was sure he could not only hear her heartbeat but feel it in that moment.

“Fine. But I still want to talk to you later. Come by my room tomorrow morning. We can walk to breakfast together.” He said letting her go. She straightened her gown and took a deep breath before walking off.

Kwon watched her until she was no longer in his line of sight before walking off to practice.

Clara hurried across the courtyard and knocked lightly on the door of the knight’s quarters. The door opened by one of the new squires and she smiled at him sweetly before he let her inside. Walking down the small hallway, she found herself in front of Youngbae’s office. Knocking once again she took a deep breath before stepping inside.

“Clara, good to see you! What can I help you with m’lady?” Youngbae said as he looked up when she walked inside.

“I need you to tell me everything I need to know.” She said. He looked at her confused before it clicked in his mind.

He smiled at her and gestured for her to sit down and she did. “Well first things first, stop avoiding the prince.”

“I’m not avoid—”

“Yes you are. This evening was entertaining to say the least but whatever you did tonight to find the courage to get you in front of him, you need to keep it. Staying away from him only makes it harder for him to readjust to palace life.” Youngbae said leaning against desk.

“I know that. I’m working on it.” Clara said looking down at her hands. Youngbae watched her for a moment. She seemed fragile and scared. But he also knew that she was in love, and that could very well save her and the kingdom a lot of pain. Sighing, he continued.

“Another thing I think you should know is that the Duke was watching you tonight. Be careful around him. He may have something planned for you.”

“Planned for me? What do you mean?” She looked up at him curiously.

“I don’t know. But you do know that the Duke wants to corrupt this kingdom. You might end up being a pawn in his game.”

“And what about the Princess?”

Youngbae just smiled and looked at Clara. “Keep doing what you did tonight and she won’t be a problem for you. Now go and be the sweet young woman I know you are and keep our prince happy.”

They shared a laugh and she stood up to leave. Youngbae walked her out and bowed to him slightly before walking back inside the main palace.

 

 

 

~~~

 

 

 

The Duke watched from his window as Clara walked back inside. He couldn’t figure out how she was so special. He tapped his fingers against his arm as he watched the Captain walking back to the knights’ quarters.

He had to do something soon, while trying to get his son on his side to make him King. Grabbing his cloak, he made his way out of the castle. Right before he made his exit, he spotted Daesung patrolling. Smiling to himself he made his way over to the young knight.

“Just the person I was looking for.” He spoke slowly. Daesung turned slightly to see who was speaking to him. Then his eyes went wide.

“I’m leaving the castle for a short while, and maybe this time you can redeem yourself while I’m gone.”

Daesung gulped. “What is it that you want me to do sire?”

“Watch everything that happens in the castle. Especially between the Princess and my nephew. Ah, and the Clara girl. Keep a special eye on her.”

Daesung looked at the Duke curiously. “May I ask why Clara sire?”

“She’s special. And special people need to be kept an eye on.” He said as he mounted his horse. “I’ll return within thirty days. Tell my brother that I have gone away on business if he asks.”

Daesung watched as the Duke left the castle grounds. A smile crept up on the young knight’s face.  With the Duke gone, Youngbae’s plan could be put into action.