11th Dragon

The Dragon Prince

Seungri and Daesung quietly snuck their way back into the castle. They didn’t want the Duke to know of their return just yet. Sneaking through the small courtyard to the Knights quarters’, they searched for Youngbae, who had returned before them.

They found him in his office, looking at maps. He looked up and smiled when he saw them come in.

“Welcome back! How was the trip?” He exclaimed, standing up to envelope them in a hug.

“We’re great. Except for a few things.” Seungri said hesitantly after Youngbae let go.

Youngbae raised his eyebrows. “Tell me what’s wrong.” He went and sat back down at the desk, a business like demeanor put on him.

Daesung sighed. “We have the prince.”

“That’s good news. So he has his memory back then, yes?” He asked, marking a spot on one of the maps.

“Not…exactly.” Youngbae looked up.

“What do you mean ‘not exactly’? What happened when I left him in your care? And tell me the truth now. You know I don’t do well with liars.” Youngbae pointed his pen at the two of them and they gulped. They sat down and recounted the entire journey, down to the treasonous act that Daesung almost did.

“Why in the world would you listen to that old sack of a Duke, Daesung?” Youngbae said his eyebrows furrowing at the end of the story.

“He has my father. I was trying to save them both somehow. I wasn’t going to actually kill him.” Daesung said in defense.

“I know you weren’t. You’re smarter than that. The Duke has been planning this kingdom’s takeover for years now. I have told you this remember?” Youngbae leaned forward on one arm looking at the knights before him.

“There’s also another thing.” Seungri said.

“And that is?”

“The prince is in love. You and I both know that he can’t be with her once we bring him back to the castle.”

Youngbae sighed and put his face in his hands. “You’re right. She’s a beautiful young woman too. Shame she has to suffer as well.”

They sat in silence for a moment.

“Maybe we can change that?” Daesung said suddenly.

Seungri and Youngbae looked at him confused. “What are you talking about? How can we can change that?”

“Think about it. Clara and her family took him in and kept him alive for the last ten years. She’s the only one who knew who he was and attempted to bring him back but was stopped by Prince Jiyong and her family. There should be no charges against her for this, so if Jiyong can get the King and Queen to like her, maybe they will let them marry.”

“That’s only if she wants to do so. I think she knows she can’t be with him. Did you not pay attention for the last three days of the trip?” Seungri said with a snort.

“I did. And that’s exactly why I think this will work.”

Seungri gave him a skeptical look but smiled nonetheless.

Youngbae looked at them and shook his head. “When are you bringing him to the castle?”

“In two days’ time. They also came to visit her mother’s grave.”

Youngbae nodded, eyes closed. “Let me know when they decide to come to the castle and I’ll get an audience with the King.”

Seungri and Daesung nodded and left his office.

 

 

 

~~~

 

 

 

Morning came and Clara got out of bed slowly. It had been years since she slept in her old bed. The feeling was nostalgic. Looking around the room, she walked over to the door then paused when she realized where she was going today.

Looking out the window, she saw the early morning fog in the air and sighed. She opened the door and went to wash up. She splashed water on her face one last time before leaving with a cloth to dry her face. She looked over at the door to Kwon’s room and wondered if she should wake him up.

Clara shook the thought out of her mind and continued to get ready. She grabbed her cloak and pulled the hood over her head before walking outside.

The morning was a silent one as she walked towards the gravesites. She pushed open the gate and took shaky steps towards her mother’s grave. The moment she stood in front of her, her legs gave out and she fell to the ground.

“Mother, I’m back.” She started, tears already streaming down her face. “And remember when I told you that Kwon was the missing prince? Well I’m not the only one who thinks this anymore.”

She brought a hand to her face to wipe her tears. “I also am in love with him. But once he goes back tomorrow…I don’t know what will happen to us.”

She didn’t notice that Kwon was already there, hiding behind a large tree trunk. He grabbed his chest at her words but resolved to let her have her time with her mother.

“I wish you were still here. I wish you didn’t get ill and left us. But I know you’re in a better place now.” She put her face in her hands and let the tears fall. Kwon let out a breath and slowly walked over to where Clara was kneeling.

He stood beside her for a moment before he knelt beside her and wrapped his arms around her tightly. She stiffened and looked up. Her eyes went wide and then she tried to hide her face but he wouldn’t let her.

“How much did you hear?” She asked finally.

“Enough. It’s okay to cry.” He her hair lightly and she just stared up at him. “We’ll figure something out. We won’t be separated.”

Clara wasn’t sure what to think. What did he mean that they won’t be separated? She didn’t want to know in that moment. She wrapped her arms around him and he held her as she cried softly.