27th Dragon

The Dragon Prince

Jean ducked as a comb was thrown in his direction.

“SHE CAN DO WHAT?” Princess Lina stood in her robes at the vanity as she was preparing herself for the banquet. Her body shook as she took in the information given to her only moments ago.

Clara can do magic.

She has a young dragon.

And she learned how to do a spell without any previous practice within a day.

Lina began pacing back and forth in front of the vanity while Jean looked on slightly shook. She had broken a vase earlier that he just barely missed.

“What shall we tell the Duke? He won’t be back within the city for another month.”

Lina looked up at him. “We tell him nothing. I’ll handle this myself.”

She sat back down and finished putting on her makeup, a plan formulating in her mind. She smiled devilishly and stood up.

“Jean, keep an eye on the prince’s little concubine tonight.”

With a flourish of her hand, an extravagant red gown dusted lightly with gold accents covered her body. Her s, perched high on her chest. The bodice just tight enough around her body to let the ruffles of the skirt flow to the ground gracefully. Her hair was braided into a bun on the back of her head with a red snapdragon flower on the side of her head, just above her ear.

“I’m going to make sure she never forgets it.”

~~~

Jiyong sat in Clara’s room with Theo in his lap. He showed up at her door as soon as his practices were over. It was annoying going over the basics that he had already mastered but he had to keep up the ruse with the Princess while she was there with him.

She was annoying enough.

“So did you understand the spells well enough even though you couldn’t practice with me?” He asked smiling at her. She was digging through her bag for what he didn’t know.

“I did. I tried that first spell you did on Theo when I got back.”

“Well seeing as everything in here isn’t burnt down, I’m going to assume that you did well or it didn’t happen at all.”

She laughed at him and stood up. Without saying a word, she flicked her hand slightly and Theo was covered in flames. He looked back at his body, yawned and went back to sleep in Kwon’s lap.

Kwon looked at Clara in shock as she smiled at him and turned back to her bag.

“That’s incredible. You learned it that quickly?” He said admiring her work. He chuckled at how unphased Theo seemed when the fire surrounded him.

“I’m thinking that learning one spell will activate my memory for other spells of the same type. So maybe next time we can work on some other types?” She asked sitting next to him at the table. Her excitement was contagious and Kwon couldn’t help but want to teach her something right then and there.

“How about something now?”

“Now?” She bunched her brows together in curiosity.

“Yes. Something that might be helpful if I’m not around. A cloaking spell.”

Clara burst into laughter and Kwon looked at her confused. She picked up Theo from his lap, no longer covered in flames, and circled her hand above the reptile once and he disappeared from view.

Kwon looked at her in utter shock. He reached forward and took her hands in his, bringing them near his lips to kiss. Clara wanted to pull away but his grip was strong.

“What else can you do that won’t surprise me?” He whispered softly onto the back of her hands, his eyes shut.

“Kwon…”

A knock on the door startled both of them. He let go of her hands and she got up to put a hidden Theo on the table before going to open the door. Chaerin, Minji and Bom all walked in with cloth in their hand.

“What are you doing here?” Clara asked as they placed the cloth neatly on her bed.

“Did the both of you forget that the banquet to announce the Prince’s engagement and return is tonight?”

Clara and Kwon looked at each other confused then looked back at Chaerin who chuckled. She bowed towards Kwon before speaking again.

“Your highness, I hate to ask of this but we need you to leave so that we may get Lady Clara ready for this evening.”

Kwon stood up quickly, his armor clanking with the sudden movement. “Oh, well I guess I’ll go to my room and get ready. Clara, I’ll see you later.”

She smiled at him sweetly as he exited then sighed before turning back to three smirking seamstresses.

“What?”

“Nothing. Go bathe as we make your gown for the evening.” Bom said to her sweetly before turning to the cloth. It was a lovely pale blue that she knew would make her skin pop the moment she put it on.

Clara got into the bath and cleaned her skin thoroughly before washing her hair. When she got out of the bath, her curls had tightened up nicely to frame her face and neck. The water was still dripping from them slightly even after moisturizing but she put on her robe before walking back into the room.

“Oh, I don’t think we have to worry about her hair anymore ladies.” Chaerin said walking towards her. “Keep it like this don’t you think? It’ll work with the gown.”

Minji pulled Clara closer to the covered gown with a smile. “Come on and see what you’ll be wearing this evening. It’ll be sure to keep everyone’s eye on you. Especially the prince.”

Clara’s eyes went wide as the women laughed at her embarrassment. They said no more as they dressed her in a light blue ball gown with lace and ruffles. A white rose was placed at her hip and they swept her hair to one side and pinned it with a pearl comb.

Clara stared at herself in the mirror speechless. She couldn’t believe that she was wearing something so beautiful.

“Ah, we can’t forget the most important thing for this. Where is your little dragon friend?” Bom asked. Clara turned in shock.

“Oh, don’t worry. We’re on your side. Why do you think the head of the knights sent us to you in the first place?”

“I…” Clara was speechless. With a flick of her hand, she revealed Theo’s hiding space. He had fallen asleep on the table. She watched as Chaerin went to go pick up the sleeping reptile and he woke to her touch.

“Now we’re going to put a spell on him so he can blend into your gown. If he moves, just say that’s the illusion of the gown itself.” Chaerin said as she adjusted Theo around her waist. She waved her hand lightly over him and he looked as if he were part of the dress, his body outlined as a silver design onto her torso. “Understood little one?”

Theo her finger before resting himself on Clara’s hip.

“Now, let’s go impress the royals.”

~~~

Jiyong stood in front of the drapes that led into the ballroom. He wore again black trousers and a red tunic. He left the cape in his room, deciding that it would be too much for this night. He didn’t have his crown or anything else that was with him all those years ago except for one thing.

He looked at the silver ring that he placed on his forefinger once more and sighed.

“Something troubling you my child?” A sweet voice came from behind him. He looked up to see his mother smiling at him sweetly.

“Just, it’s been so long. I’m not even sure I’m ready for this right now.”

The queen placed a gentle hand on his cheek and looked him up and down. “You are ready for this. You kept the one thing I told you to never lose. And because of that, I know tonight will go well for you.”

“How?”

She took his hand in hers and held it up for him to see.

“Because you remembered to never lose this ring.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

This update may seem kind of short but I felt it was necessary before everything got really spicy in the next chapter or so.

One of my lovely readers suggested I not make Lina so innocent and well......

I took it and ran. Thank you for the suggestion because I definitely didn't know how I would've gotten through this chapter.

Ready to see what the Princess is going to do to Clara at the banquet?