20th Dragon

The Dragon Prince

Jiyong held Clara closer as they peeked around the corner. The guards were patrolling the palace grounds. He had forgotten the others didn’t know about them leaving the grounds. It was still early so the chance to sneak away was easier but something was a bit off.

“Are you sure about this Kwon?” Clara whispered her breathing halted as he held her close. He could feel her freeze up around him all the time and having her this close was no different.

Their cloaks were the only things keeping them from standing out completely. The new gown that Chaerin had made for her was soft with wool and added to the heat rising in her body just from being so close to Kwon.

Attempting to distract herself, she surveyed the situation before them. They had made it out of the palace, nobody stopping them. They had gone through a secret passageway where Kwon grabbed his violin.

“I hid it here after I discovered it. We haven’t gotten the chance to play here properly since we’ve been here.”

She smiled to herself, grateful that her hood was covering her face.

But it was once they made it outside that made leaving the grounds to go into the city difficult. It was the time for the change of the knights. They were making small conversation, blocking their exit. Something beside them fell and made a loud thumping noise.

“Who’s there?” One of the knights shouted. She gasped and he wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her away, their cloaks flying on their backs. The knights caught the cloth and ran after them.

“Stop!”

Kwon hissed under breath. He glanced beside him and saw Clara’s smile. He smiled and led them to one of the hiding spots he discovered while exploring the castle. They could just barely hear the other knights behind them. Once in the shadows of the exit the two of them stood there silently for a while as they waited for them to pass before going out again.

“At this rate we won’t make it to the city today.” Clara said chuckling.

“But we’re going to go regardless. I’m sure you’re just as tired of being here as I am.” Kwon said fixing her hood of her cloak. “Doesn’t sound like anyone is coming. Let’s go.”

They walked silently side by side until they made it to where they were hiding the first time. Carefully they looked to see if the knights were guarding there again. They released a sigh when they saw the coast was clear and headed to the hidden exit.

It was a tight squeeze so much to Kwon’s delight and Clara’s feelings, he held her even closer until they were out of the exit. They stood there for a moment looking at the short pathway to the city.

“Okay! I think it’s time to let me go. Let’s get going if we want to make the most of us sneaking out.” Clara said shrugging him off of her. He chuckled and grabbed her hand leading her down the path.

The walk was short and silent. As soon as they stepped on the cobblestone streets of the city, they headed towards a tavern.

“We just ate breakfast. Why are we here?” Clara asked raising a brow at him.

“We just finished escaping the palace. Let’s take some time to see what the people here are like while relaxing for once.” Kwon said leading her to a table in the back. They kept their hoods up as they sat down. The entire country knew he had returned, so it was no telling who would recognize him.

The sounds of the people milling about felt familiar to him and it made him feel like it was old times again. Going into town for the day’s dinner, playing a simple tune for the children and adults. Watching Clara dance. Kwon already knew this was going to be hard on him.

Shaking away the memories, he turned and watched Clara who seemed to also be in her own thoughts.

“Do you think we could not go back tonight?” He asked. She blinked before looking up at him.

“Why wouldn’t we?”

“I just want a night away from the palace. At least one before I have to go back into that world for good.”

Clara smiled at him. “Fine. I guess it was smart of me to grab that key to the old home.”

Kwon beamed at her and she looked down at the table. He reached over and placed his hand underneath her chin and lifted her head up to look at him.

“Let’s go put on a show.” He stood up and grabbed her hand pulling her out of the tavern that had begun to get a little crowded.

Again they walked hand in hand all the way into the city square. There were shops open and more people milling about than when they first walked into town.

“Perfect.” Kwon said putting down the violin case and opening it carefully. He took out the violin and began tuning it while Clara looked around at the people. She surveyed the crowd enough to realize that this would be a bigger crowd than normal. How would they escape if they were to get caught? Then she noticed a small alleyway that would be more than enough.

Feeling better about having an escape plan, she turned to look at Kwon who had now finished tuning the instrument and placed it on his shoulder. Keeping his head down so the hood of his cloak wouldn’t reveal him, he began to play a familiar tune.

It was the last song they performed before they met Youngbae and decided to leave her father. Smiling and trying not to cry, Clara removed her hood. A small crowd of children had already stopped with their mother’s hands firmly holding them as they watched Clara step forward.

Clara began her dance with simple footwork, holding the hem of her dress off the ground. As she picked up speed, she began to twirl. Her dress fanned out and she could hear some slight cheering coming from the audience. At some point she closed her eyes, feeling out the music that Kwon played wrapping around her body like another cloth keeping her warm.

Suddenly, she heard screaming. Both of them stopped what they were doing and looked around. The people were scattering about scared.

Kwon looked up and saw a beam of light coming towards them. Grabbing Clara, he pulled her out of the way just in time to save her from being hit.

“Run!” He said pushing her in the direction of the alleyway that she was looking at earlier. Whoever it was doing this was strong with magic. Kwon wasn’t very sure of his own magic but he knew he would have to use it.

Another shot of light came at him and with a flourish of both of his hands, Kwon put up a field to block it. He closed his eyes upon the impact of the light hitting his shield but he knew he was okay.  While he was shielded, he packed up his violin as quick as he could and ran down the alleyway.

He didn’t get far when he ran into Clara again.

“I thought I told you to run?”

“I wasn’t going to just leave you, idiot. We’re going to get out of here together.” She said grabbing him by his sleeve and running. “I don’t know what’s going on but we have to get somewhere safe soon.”

An idea dawned on Kwon and he made them both stop. Clara looked back at him with wide eyes.

“I have an idea. You have to trust me, okay?”

She smiled at him. “Of course I trust you. Now what’s this idea?”

He pulled her close and her whole body tensed. “Stay close to me.”

The air around them began to move and Clara realized what it was he was doing. He was using his magic to transport them. But where to? It wasn’t until she looked around that she realized that it had worked. They were inside of their childhood home.

“Wow! You really have gotten better.” She exclaimed looking around the room and at herself. When she looked at Kwon, his face seemed drained. She ran over to him quickly and led him to the couch.

Lying him down, she was about to run and get some warm water and a rag but he grabbed her hand. “Don’t go. Not yet.”

“But you look sick. I—”

“It’s an after effect of the transport. I’ll get over it soon. Nothing too serious.” He said. “Youngbae and the other knights spoke to me about it before. I’m okay.”

She kneeled beside him and held his hand. It seemed exactly as if her father had just walked through the door and placed him here when she was only eleven years old again.

“Alright, Kwon. I’ll trust you. Just rest okay?” She said watching as he closed his eyes to sleep.

 

 

 

~~~

 

 

 

Meanwhile in the main part of the city, Princess Lina stood where she had seen Jiyong and Clara standing just moments before.

She had watched them sneak out the palace and decided that she would follow them. When she did find them, she did not like what she saw. They were in some tavern and were too close for comfort. She had watched them as they left as well and followed after them shortly afterwards to the square.

She was glad when that random bit of magic disrupted their performance. Lina didn’t know where it came from but she was grateful for it. When all of the chaos cleared, the two were nowhere to be found.

Huffing, she wondered where they could have disappeared off to. She walked through the square and scoffed at the people picking up the rubble and damages. She decided to go back to the palace for now. Whatever it was that they were doing, she would find out after she told the King of their disappearance.

 

 

 

 

 

 

-------------------------------------

Hey guys sorry for the late update.

Happy New Year! 2014 is going to be great.

Anyway, I would like my silent readers to tell me what they think of the story so far. Or rather how they feel about how this story has been developing. Anything!

I like a good critique. It helps me become a better writer.