24th Dragon

The Dragon Prince

The two of them made it back to the house without anyone noticing Theo, thanks to Kwon’s magic. They thought it would be best not to scare the rest of the city.

Clara walked over to the couch and sat down with a heavy sigh. She was exhausted at her own memories and powers coming back. Kwon sat on the coffee table and watched her as Theo climbed off of his shoulder and into her lap, curling up to take a nap it seemed.

“So….dragon tamers?” He asked slowly. Clara opened her eyes and looked at him shaking her head.

“We’re just their caretakers. They’re pretty tame on their own but there are some things that they can’t do so we help them out. And in turn they protect us.”

“‘Us’?” Kwon questioned a brow raised.

“Well there used to be a lot of us. But a lot of the dragon keepers died off or were killed long ago. I remember my mom mentioning it before but not much about it. Give me some time to get everything together.”

Kwon nodded and placed a hand on hers before standing up to go into the little kitchen. He poured them both some water and got a small bowl for Theo. When he walked back into the living room, Clara’s eyes were closed again.

Theo watched him and yawned before he got up to drink from the bowl Kwon brought him.

“So what do I feed him?”

“Hmm? Oh…just any meat. You’ll figure out what his favorites are as he grows up and use them as treats since he’ll pretty much be your pet.” She said, her eyes still closed as she spoke. He sat down beside her and placed her head on his shoulder. She stiffened for a moment before relaxing into his warmth. “I think its best that we keep him hidden even when we go back to the castle tomorrow. We don’t know when your uncle will return nor how your family will react to him.”

Kwon nodded and Theo joined them again on the couch, this time curling into Kwon’s lap. He patted him lightly on the head before the three of them fell asleep on the couch.

 

 

 

~~~

 

 

 

Youngbae, Seungri, and Daesung were sitting in the office of the knights mulling over what had happened to the king. He had seemed so different that it unnerved Youngbae.

“The princess’ face seemed like she knew his majesty would tell us no to our proposal of Clara becoming Jiyong’s bride.” Seungri said his arms crossed. Daesung nodded and looked at Youngbae, who still seemed to be deep in thought.

“It makes sense. But what would she gain from breaking them apart other than becoming Queen and hurting Clara?” Daesung asked.

“That’s all she’d gain. She’s already royalty. Even if she didn’t marry the prince, she would still live lavishly. I don’t understand why she’s stepping between them so adamantly.” Seungri picked up his cup of ale and took a long swig.

“She’s after more than just being the prince’s future wife. She’s after this country. Think about it.” Youngbae said finally. “The Scorpion kingdom and the Dragon kingdom have been civil but before we were at war. Way before we were born. If she can marry into the kingdom instead of going to war again, causing thousands of deaths. It’s the only thing I can think of.”

“Well what can we really do about it? His majesty seems to already be under her spell.” Daesung asked looking between the other two knights.

It was silent for a moment before Seungri sat up grinning. “Who does the king listen to most before his subjects?”

They both looked at him in confusion and he chuckled.

“The queen.”

 

 

 

~~~

 

 

 

Clara woke up feeling slightly groggy when she heard the front door open. She looked over to her left to see Kwon sleeping peacefully beside her then looked down to see that Theo was out in the open. Quickly, she grabbed her cloak and covered him. Putting her newfound powers into effect, she hinted at Theo that everything was find and to stay still.

He did just that as she stood up to greet her father who seemed weary from his day.

“Hey daddy. Where have you been all day?”

“I could ask you two the same thing, what with Kwon passed out on the couch right now.” He said with a small laugh.

“We just went to look around some old childhood places and visited mom’s grave.” She said the last part silently. Her father just patted her head and sat down at the dining table.

“I went there today as well. By the time I realized how long I’d been there, the sun was down.”

“You were there all day?”

Her father nodded and gave her a small smile. “It was peaceful. Now I understand why you wanted to come back. We’ve really seemed to have neglected her haven’t we?”

“I’m sure she understands why we left.” She said patting his shoulder before walking back over towards Kwon, who was slowly waking up from their short nap.

“Kwon. We have to get ready to go back tomorrow. Go to bed properly so I won’t have to wake you up in the morning.”

“But it isn’t morning without you waking me up.” He said giving her a sleepy smile and she shook her head and nodded at his lap. He remembered they had Theo and it wouldn’t be the best idea for him to sleep out in the open without scaring the old man.

He nodded and gathered Theo up into his arms and walked into his room. He came back out shortly to hand Clara her cloak before walking back inside his room.

“Goodnight daddy. We’ll have you come to the castle soon okay?”

Her father just nodded before running a hand over his head and going into his own room.

 

 

 

~~~

 

 

 

The next morning was eventful for Theo. He watched Kwon’s face as he slept and wondered what kind of King he would be.

“Clara” Kwon whispered in his sleep and Theo smiled. Knowing that he cared for her so much gave the young dragon some hope for their future. A knock at the door caused Theo to look at it curiously before hiding beneath the covers.

Another knock happened and then a voice followed. “Kwon, the carriage is here. Get up.”

Theo heard Clara’s voice and came out from beneath the covers when he heard the door open. She smiled at the young dragon, patting his head gently before moving to shake the sleeping prince.

“Kwon, get up. We have to go. No time for games today.” She said and as usual, she found herself in his bed by his hands. He snuggled into her arms as she tried and failed to fight him off.

“Okay now I know you’re awake. Hide Theo and let’s go.” She said trying to release herself from his strong grip on her but the more she struggled, the closer he pulled her until he kissed her cheek.

“I don’t want to get up. Let’s sleep together.”

His words caught her off guard and she froze. It was then that Seungri decided to knock on the door and walk inside.

“Well…don’t let me stop you. But we do have urgent business to take care of.” He said smiling at them.

“How urgent?” Kwon said still half sleep and holding Clara whose face was filled with embarrassment.

“Possible trouble brewing inside of the castle.” He said, his tone serious. Kwon sat up immediately giving Clara a moment of reprieve.

“What do you mean trouble?”

“Princess Lina seems to be wanting to marry you to take over the kingdom. We’re trying to make sure we have all our bases covered and you being in the castle could be helpful.”

Kwon nodded and got out of the bed. Clara watched as he quickly washed his face and put on his cloak. He looked to Clara and remembered to hide Theo, who was hiding behind her. He had hoped that Seungri didn’t see him but if he did, it didn’t show in his face.

The three of them got inside the carriage and headed towards the castle, not sure of what awaited them.

 

 

 

~~~

 

 

 

Three towns over, Duke Choi was sitting with the mayor of the town for a drink.

“So you’re sure there’s one of them here?” The duke asked glaring down the mayor who seemed scared for his livelihood. As he should be.

“Yes. They go into the forest every night I’m told. They aren’t fearful of an open flame. The townspeople have come to me about them before.”

The duke nodded and took a small sip of the ale in his cup. “Thank you for your information. Your help towards the crown will be rewarded accordingly.”

He stood up and walked out of the small office and back onto the streets of the small town. He mounted his horse and headed towards the outskirts of it until he came across a small cottage in a clearing. A young woman stood on the steps as if she were awaiting his arrival.

“Your grace.”

“I’m here to gain knowledge on dragons. I can only learn so much in the castle and from my studies I am told that there were humans who once took care of the great beasts.”

“I know nothing of them myself. With the little education I received, I only used it to live my life fully and support my family.” The woman said calmly but he knew she was lying. He grabbed her by her collar and pulled her close to his face.

“Don’t lie to me woman. Where are the dragons?”

“I cannot tell you that information.”

“Fine, I’ll search for them myself. Where is your daughter? I’m sure she also has your intellect and power over these beasts.”

“She is not here and neither are the creatures that you seek.” She spoke calmly and he threw her to the ground like a rag.

Mounting his horse once more he glared down at the woman. “You will regret this day.” And he rode off into the forest, searching for the creatures he desired most.

 

 

 

 

------------------------------------

Finally I'm back with an update. I thought about it a lot during my time away from this story and others so yeah.

I've been going through a lot at home so it's been getting to me to the point that I had to break my story writing and toss out the ty one shots that I've been putting out if you haven't seen them lately.

So without further ado, school is out, I'm working but I have tomorrow off so I can work on some other updates and give y'all some good quality stories again! I know y'all missed me and I missed writing for y'all.

Enjoy this update!