10th Dragon

The Dragon Prince

His dreams were vivid all night. Images of him sparring with the first knight he met before they left. Laughing with the King. Hugging the Queen. Talking with the Duke. Every memory was coming back to him and he felt overwhelmed.

Kwon held Clara in his arms as they lie in the tent. He had woken up first and saw her face still stained with her tears. He watched as she slept silently, her body rising and falling with each breath she took. He moved his hand to brush a strand of her curls away from her face but she stirred and he froze.

When he felt like she wouldn’t wake up, he continued with his motion of his hand to her face. When his fingers made contact to her cheek, her nose wrinkled up and he chuckled. He pushed the hair away and kissed her forehead lightly before she started to really wake up.

Not wanting to startle her like he normally does, he put more space between them and watched as her eyes fluttered open. She yawned, covering and he smiled at her. She looked at him and her eyes widened.

“Good morning.” He said. Clara sat up quickly, confused. Her hair had fallen back into her face and she pushed some of it behind her ear. Kwon’s breath caught in his lungs. She continued to stare at him until she could find the words she needed.

“Why are you in here still?” She asked him.

He chuckled at her and sat up. “Well, last time I checked you fell asleep in here and the idiot knights out there made me stay inside.”

“We heard that!” Seungri’s voice rang. They looked at the opening of the tent and Seungri’s head popped in. “Glad you two love birds are awake now. We have a few more days of this trip ahead of us before we go to the palace.”

Kwon raised a brow. “Palace? Why are we going there?”

Seungri sighed and shook his head. “Because, Your Highness. We have to return you to the King and Queen. They’ve been missing you for the last ten years. How many times do I have to tell you this?”

“Clearly multiple times. He won’t believe that he is the prince even after getting his magic back.” Daesung said coming inside the tent, pushing Seungri out of his way.

“More like he’s being stubborn. I’m sure he has some idea of as to who he is now. After a full night’s rest and cuddling with his lover, I would like to assume that he knows he’s the prince.” Seungri laughed and sat down.

Kwon gave Seungri a bewildered expression. Both Seungri and Daesung laughed.

“Don’t give us that look. We came in to check on you multiple times to make sure that your magic wouldn’t go out of control in your sleep. We know you did.” Seungri said while smirking.

Clara sighed and stood up. “Well whether or not he did so doesn’t matter. We have to get a move on.” She walked out of the tent and they shared a look with each other.

“What’s with her?” Daesung jerked his thumb at the flap of the tent. Kwon shrugged and was about to follow her lead when he realized something.

“You were here when I woke up. Told me you were a knight. Where were you this whole time?”

Seungri gave Daesung a knowing look.

“Was he following us?” Kwon looked at him with big eyes. Seungri hung his head. “You knew he was following us and didn’t tell us? How long?”

Daesung gave a regrettable look. “Since the two of you left your home.”

“Why?”

Seungri looked up shocked. He expected Kwon to show his anger. He expected even Kwon’s magic to start losing control but it didn’t.

Daesung gulped before he spoke. “To keep you from getting your memories back. And if necessary, eradicate you.”

Kwon rose a brow. “Kill me? You were going to kill me? What for?”

Seungri watched the exchange completely on edge. This was not expected. He knew Kwon would ask about how they came across him but not so soon. He looked at Daesung who was looking down, eyes squeezed shut.

“The Duke, your uncle, wanted you removed. I don’t know why but he did. I wasn’t going to kill you. Just suppress your memories and disguise you. But since you finally got your magic, that’s impossible now.”

“What do you mean impossible?”

“I mean that your magic is stronger than what I can do. My magic is limited. Your magic is powerfully overwhelming. Any spell or potion I try to cast on you wouldn’t stick.”

Kwon pondered over what he said silently. Clara was standing outside the tent listening to this explanation for the second time silently. The fact that he wanted to harm Kwon in any way didn’t sit well with her and she couldn’t trust him.

“So, if I truly am the Prince Jiyong that all of you keep telling me that I am. Then why did I go missing for ten years? Why did I end up waking up on Clara’s couch?”

Daesung sighed. “My father was the original one who was supposed to kill you. He was put under a spell by the Duke but the moment he left his presence, the spell weakened and he saved your life. Leaving you at an empty cottage but when he came back you were missing.”

“And that’s when Clara’s old man brought me to their place. If this is true then why haven’t I remembered who I am? And why did Clara know but her parents and the rest of the Kingdom did not recognize me?”

Seungri and Daesung shared a look. “All we know is that the Duke cast some spell on you for your brain to knock you out. We don’t know anything past that. I want to believe that whatever it is, wore off.”

Kwon stood up. “Well let’s head to the Capitol now. We all need answers. And I think it’s about time I became reunited with my family.”

~~~

The next few days were silent as they traveled together. Daesung didn’t get another note from the Duke but it made him worried. He was now unable to do what he set out to do.

Clara would sit silently behind Kwon on the horse as they took on the next few days. Soon they reached the Capitol. Kwon looked up at the castle, a familiarity grabbing hold of him as he gazed upon its high towers and stone walls.

Daesung and Seungri went to the castle while Clara and Kwon went to their old home. The home where Kwon was brought to ten years ago.

Dismounting from the horse, they went inside and placed their things on the table.

“Clara…what’s wrong?” He grabbed her arm as she started to walk to her old room.

She shook him off and looked at him. “Nothing. I just want to clean up and rest. You should do the same. This is going to be a long week.”