18th Dragon

The Dragon Prince

Jiyong groaned silently as the sunlight hit his eyes. Rolling over, he came to face a wall. His eyes went wide and he sat up quickly. Looking around him, he realized he was in the place he had called home for the last ten years.

Hearing a soft knock on the door, he figured it had to be Clara and laid back down, pretending to be sleep. He heard the door open right on queue and held in a smirk as he listened to her steps carefully approach him.

“Kwon…wake up.” She said lightly tapping him. He didn’t budge. As much as he wanted to, he was going to keep up with this.

“Kwon I know you’re up. Get up. We have stuff to do today” She said, pushing him a little harder. He smirked and reached up to grab her arm and pulled her into the bed with him.

He felt her body still and he in turn felt his own heart stop. Her hair was sprawled on the mattress and her brown eyes looked at him in shock. Jiyong brought his face closer to hers and she didn’t move. Taking it as permission, he was about to place his lips on hers when everything went black.

 

 

 

~~~

 

 

 

Jiyong woke up with a start. He was only dreaming. Groaning, he climbed out of bed and went over to his wardrobe and dressed himself. Ever since they had been here, he’s been getting up earlier to avoid being dressed by the servants. It made him uncomfortable for some reason.

As he buttoned the last button on his shirt, his old cloak caught his eye. He smiled, faintly remembering the times that he and Clara would perform in the town square. Getting yelled at by the mayor and running around laughing. He honestly missed those times.

Looking at himself in the mirror, he was still in disbelief that he was the prince. Then he got an idea. Not bothering to finish getting dressed, Jiyong quietly left his room and walked a little ways to Clara’s room. He knocked lightly and when he received no answer, he opened the door slowly and peeked his head inside.

Clara was fast asleep on the bed, lips parted slightly with an arm draped over her stomach while the other was beside her head, palm open. Her hair was sprawled over the pillow with a few strands curling over her neck and chest.

He watched as she took in her sleeping breaths, her chest rising and falling with each one. Seeing her sleeping so peacefully made him smile. He walked over to her leaned to move the loose strands from her neck. She moved slightly and his hand froze right above her collarbone.

She her side and stayed asleep. Letting out a breath, he smiled. She was always waking him up in the mornings. Though every morning he was awake before her in reality, having short visions of what he now knows is his mother.

Placing a hand on her cheek, he leaned in and pressed his lips against hers lightly. She groaned and he pulled away holding in a chuckle. He walked out of her room, closing the door carefully behind him, and walked in the direction of his room.

He stopped when he saw Youngbae standing in front of his door.

“What are you doing here so early Youngbae?” He asked as he approached him.

“I could ask you the same thing but I’m pretty sure I know where you went.” Youngbae countered giving Jiyong a smug grin. “I wanted to tell you some good news.”

“Oh? Come on in. I need to finish getting dressed.” Jiyong said as he gestured his arm towards the door. “What’s the news?”

“Your uncle has left the castle. Daesung saw him leave last night. Of course not without leaving him a message to watch you and the princess and Clara.”

“Why Clara?” Jiyong asked fixing his tunic.

“That I don’t know. All he said was there was something special about her according to Daesung.” Youngbae said sitting down at the table. “But I have a little plan of my own to get you and Clara to marry.”

“And that would be…?” Jiyong turned to look at the young knight, curious.

“You’ll see. Just let me handle all the difficult parts and you keep wooing Lady Clara.” Youngbae said as he waited for Jiyong to finish putting on his training gear.

“What are you talking about?”

Youngbae laughed at him and patted his friend on the shoulder. “Nothing at all young Prince. Nothing at all. I’ll see you in the courtyard after breakfast so we can practice.” Youngbae walked out the room still laughing to himself.

Jiyong shrugged and finished getting ready. As he waited for Clara to come join him, he took out the violin that the music shop owner had given him. Running his hand along the worn case, he opened it and lifted it out gently.

“Miss it?” A soft voice came from behind him. He turned to see Clara, dressed in another gorgeous gown, standing in the doorway.

“Yeah. We haven’t given our performances in a while.” He said placing it back inside the case and closing it shut.

“Maybe one day we can go outside of the castle and put on our usual show.” She said walking over to him and placing a hand on his shoulder. He surprised her by wrapping his arms around her waist and pulling her close. She could feel her heartbeat speeding up.

She looked at the door, remembering that it was wide open, when Jiyong turned her to face him. “Jiyong let me go.” She said simply.

“And if I don’t?” He said running his thumb along her bottom lip and her breath caught in her chest.

“We’ll be late for breakfast.” She said smiling to hide her nerves. Jiyong laughed and kissed her forehead lightly. He loosened his grip but he didn’t let her go as they walked out of his room and in the direction of the dining hall, much to Clara’s nerves.

Around the corner, Princess Lina came from the other side and eyed them. “Not a maid. But a friend? Looks like you’re the future concubine to me.” She scoffed watching them disappear down the hall before walking to the dining hall as well.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey! Author here! As much as I enjoy writing this story, I really enjoy a good feedback.

Please leave a comment when possible (I know some people may read on the way to places. I do that too)

Not only will I write faster but it might give me ideas for the next chapter.

Don't worry I also know people are in school and/or working like myself. But thank you again to my lovely readers for enjoying this story.

Next chapter might pop up next week. Who knows. Let's see where inspiration takes me.