2nd Dragon

The Dragon Prince

10 Years Later

Kwon woke up in his bed and stretched out before curling back up.

“Kwon! Kwon! Wake up! We’ve got work to do!”

He heard Clara shouting for him and pulled the covers over his head. Clara walked into his room and found him still lying in his bed under the covers. She shook her head and clicked her teeth.

“Kwon if you don’t wake up you won’t have your breakfast.” She sighed and walked over to his bed.

Kwon groaned and turned over when he felt her presence move closer to him.

“Prince Jiyong, get up. The royal meal is ready.” She said again smirking. This was her last defense with him. Ever since her father found him when she was eleven, he hated being called royalty. Even though he was.

Over the last ten years since finding him, Clara had grown to notice that nobody else recognized him as the crown prince of the Dragon kingdom. Nobody except her of course. There were even flyers and banners all around the kingdom that displayed his beautiful face, letting the kingdom know that they were looking for him. And yet not a single person, not even Jiyong himself, recognized him as a prince.

It was frustrating for Clara. She even tried to tell her father to report him to the authorities but even he couldn’t tell that Jiyong, or rather Kwon, was the prince. They had moved many times within the last ten years, especially after Clara’s mother died. The memories of her childhood home were too painful for her father to be around. They were now many cities and small towns away from the capitol and Clara always wondered when she would ever get the chance to return Jiyong to the royal family.

Now they were older and more mature. Clara, age twenty-one, her ebony hair long and curly down her back, contrasting beautifully against her brown skin, and a grown woman’s body. Her facial features had become more distinct and sharper as she had aged into a beautiful young lady.

Kwon was now twenty-five. His blonde hair had grown longer, and now that it was winter it had gotten lighter, almost blending in with his pale winter skin. He was taller and lankier but somehow still very muscular.

“Prince Jiyong. Your majesty. We have affairs to take care of today. So it would be great if you would wake up now.”

She was leaning over the lump that was Kwon under the covers. He rustled and surprised her pulling her onto the bed with him. She squealed and tried to fight her way out of his arms but he was too strong. She found herself flustered as he held her beside him.

“What did I tell you about calling me that?” He said, his voice husky from sleep.

“Well let’s see. You don’t like it? You’re not royalty? Stop it?”

“And if you know all this then why do you do so?”

She smiled. “Because I know you hate it and it’s the only way to wake you up.”

He groaned again and sat up. She stayed lying there looking at his back. She didn’t know when but she had fallen in love with him. And though he treats her well, she knew that she could never open her feelings up to him. Eventually he would learn the truth about who he was, and when he does, she would be out of the picture.

“Well there. I’m up. Happy now?” He turned and looked at her, catching her staring at him. She blinked and sat up quickly.

“Very.” She grinned at him and got out of his bed. Kwon watched her as she closed the door, then he got out of bed and began to get dressed.

The winters in this town were harsh, so he bundled up heavily. Before he walked out the door, he grabbed the necklace with a silver ring on it. Out of all the things that Clara’s dad sold of his when they found him, this was the one thing that he didn’t want to lose. Something about the ring made him feel strongly towards it.

“Kwon! Come on!” He heard Clara shouting for him. He sighed and smiled wrapping his scarf around him and tucking it in his coat before walking out the door.

 

 

 

~~~

 

 

 

After breakfast, Kwon and Clara walked to the local market. Kwon stood by as she looked through the ingredients and chose what she thought was best. They walked along until they passed a trinket shop. Clara stopped and began admiring the handicraft on the table.

“You want one?” Kwon said noticing the sparkle in her eyes as she carefully touched each piece.

“We’re having a lovers’ sale if you want to get a lovely necklace for your girlfriend.” Said the shopkeeper. Kwon and Clara looked at her in shock then each other.

“Oh no, no. We’re not lovers’ ma’am.” Kwon said for the both of them. The shopkeeper smiled at him and chuckled.

“No really we aren’t. She’s like a sister to me.”

Kwon and Clara walked away quickly. Clara felt a pang in her heart when she heard him say that. It was another reason why she couldn’t tell him her feelings. She stayed silent as they walked along and looked at other stalls.

Kwon looked at her sideways. “You sure you didn’t want anything though?”

“Hmm? Oh no. We can’t afford it. And it’s not that important.” She said and walking ahead of him.

He smirked at her and grabbed her wrist. “We can do that again. You know you enjoyed it last time.”

Her eyes went wide. “Kwon. I don’t think that’s a good idea. You remember what happened last time?”

His eyes lit up. Clara knew she couldn’t say no. Sighing they walked over to the music shop. The shopkeeper was outside sweeping away the snow from in front of his shop.

“Kwon! Clara! How may I help you today?” He greeted them happily.

“We were hoping to help you get people to come to your shop again. We’re running low on money.” Kwon said smiling at the man.

“That would be great. What instrument do you want to play this time?”

Last time they did a street performance, Kwon played the saxophone. It was pretty successful too. At least until the town’s mayor came over with his guards angrily to complain about the noise.

“Hmm…the violin sounds like it would be nice today. And Clara can dance this time. Catch people’s eye. Even young children maybe.” He said elbowing her in her side. She guessed it was payback from waking him up this morning.

The music shop owner smiled and went into the shop. When he came out, he handed him a slightly peeled violin case.

“Here’s a violin we’ve been planning to throw out. I want you to have it.”

Kwon and Clara looked at the man in shock. “But sir. We can’t afford this.”

“I’ve seen the two of you when you perform. You light up with joy. And it’s no trouble at all.” He said smiling at them. Clara looked at his face and took in his genuine expression of gratitude.

“Thank you.” Kwon said holding the violin with care. “Come on Clara. Let’s go find a good spot.”

Clara nodded and turned around closer to the heart of the town. Before Kwon could walk off, the shopkeeper stopped him.

“She’s a good girl. I suggest you marry her before someone else steals her heart.”

Kwon turned around to see him walking back into his shop. He shook his head and went to catch up with Clara.