29th Dragon

The Dragon Prince

“That was a close one. How do you think she knows about Theo?” Youngbae said once everything was explained to him.

“I don’t know but something tells me that it has nothing to do with who we’ve already told. This kingdom isn’t ready to know that the creatures are ready for a return.” Daesung said his eyes trained on the dance floor.

Jiyong opted to stay over there and dance with a few more lord’s daughters before he would come and join them, to erase any suspicion of how he felt about Clara. Now definitely wasn’t the time to show who his heart really belonged to.

Clara watched him openly, seeing as the rest of the room was as well, while the knights discussed what was going on with the princess.

“Theo will be fine. I won’t let her find him.”

“What about your powers then m’lady? She could be trying to draw them out instead.” Seungri said looking at her with concern.

“Then let her. I’d rather be outed as a magician than her finding out Theo exists. Keeping him a secret is imperative for his highness to claim the throne.”

“I think I can help with that.” A deep voice made Clara’s eyes raise slightly to see Seunghyun standing before her. She lifted her chin up towards him before smiling gently.

“What all did you hear just now?”

“Enough to know that we’re on the same side. My father wants me to be king and whoever this Theo person is that will help my cousin claim his throne, I feel that he is after the same thing.”

Clara raised a brow at him. This was the most she had heard him speak to her since she’s been here.

“Don’t be so surprised. I care about my cousin deeply. I just don’t say it.” He held his hand out to her. “Would you care to ‘discuss’ more on the matter?”

She looked at Youngbae and the others before taking Seunghyun’s hand, letting him lead her back towards the dance floor. She caught Jiyong’s eye as they began dancing and had to force her eyes away from him.

“So who’s Theo?” Seunghyun said as his hand rested on her waist. “And why is Princess Lina looking for him?”

They spun pass the thrones where the king and queen sat smiling at them. The princess looked at them curiously but seemed bored nonetheless.

“I don’t know if I should trust you with that information. And I especially don’t think I should tell you while we’re in the presence of every noble in the kingdom.” She replied calmly.

“Fair enough.” He spun her around before bringing her back to position. “How about you and Jiyong meet me in my chambers tomorrow and discuss with me?”

Clara mused over the offer and caught the eyes of Jiyong. He looked at her with worry but she smiled at him before looking back at Seunghyun. “We’ll meet you at your chamber but we will talk elsewhere. You never know who could be spying for your father.”

They ended the dance and Clara headed towards the knights once more but was stopped by a sudden silence that covered the room. She turned around to see Lina walking towards her once more. She looked to see Jiyong getting ready to step between them but she gave him a look that made him stop. He had helped her enough, even though each time she could have handled herself, but his love for her did not need to be expressed here in this moment.

She was not afraid of Lina. If she wanted to expose something about her, she won’t let it be Theo.

“How may I help you, your highness?” She gave a polite bow as the princess came within earshot of her, though she could have spoken earlier with the pin drop silence within the ballroom.

“I’m curious of something that was told to me earlier this evening.”

“And what would that be?” Clara looked directly at Jiyong, who had been joined by Youngbae and the others.

“I’m pretty sure you know what it is that I want to know. I would just like a simple show and tell.”

Clara smiled and scoffed. Lina had been circling her the entire time slowly, her fiery dress standing out from the rest of the royals and nobles in the room. A red flame amongst a large ocean.

“With all due respect princess, I would much rather enjoy my evening without being harassed by you again. So if you would excuse me.” She bowed again before walking towards Jiyong and the knights.

Oh no you don’t. Lina looked at Clara’s gown and smirked before sending a flame in her direction.

“Clara look out!” Jiyong shouted and everyone around them gasped when Clara turned without hesitation and caught the flame with her bare hand until the flame went out, leaving not a scratch on her hand. She looked up as a look of shock was glued onto Lina’s face as well as the rest of the nobles.

“How…”

“You found out what you wanted to expose. Now if you’ll excuse me.” She continued towards the knights who smiled at her proudly.

 

 

 

~~~

 

 

 

Everyone stepped away from Clara as she stepped closer to the prince and his knights. Lina saw a look of fear in their eyes and quickly spoke out.

“You hid that you could use magic! Are you a spy?” It worked. Everyone began murmuring accusations against Clara. Lina used a spell silently that would further swing the crowd in her favor.

“How could she be a spy when I’ve known her since I was a child?” Jiyong spoke out in her favor once again. That infuriated Lina even more that she could not control him.

“Were you with her of every waking moment of every day? I doubt you were your highness. How do you know she isn’t the reason you disappeared all those years ago?”

“You’re speaking nonsense now your highness,” Seungri spoke, anger showing within his eyes. Lina looked in Youngbae and Daesung’s eyes as well and saw the same anger and need to protect Clara.

“What nonsense is it? She is not a royal and yet she has the strength of one. If she isn’t a terrorist then what is she?” She looked at the King for a response, noticing the Queen had left the ballroom for a moment. She would deal with that later. Lina stepped towards Clara but Jiyong pulled her behind him.

“A citizen of this Kingdom and my best friend. Who are you to accuse her as a threat?” Jiyong challenged. Lina caught Clara trying to move from behind him but he wouldn’t let her.

“I am your fiancé and furthermore this kingdom’s future queen. I have every right to suspect whether or not she is a threat to the crown.”

“Then let us hold a trial and not immediately condemn Lady Clara without any evidence of a threat.” The Queen said walking in calmly. She didn’t look affected by Lina’s magic but she didn’t bother. She should have known that the Queen would be stronger than her.

Clara looked at the Queen and caught the hint of an ally from the way their eyes caught each other. She suppressed her smile and faced Lina.

“But your majesty—”

“No ‘buts’,” the Queen cut her off and glared at Princess Lina. “You are in my kingdom, and whether or not you marry my son is of no importance in this matter.”

Clara visibly saw Lina swallow her next words and couldn’t hold her smile anymore.

“Lady Clara, you are to stay in your room until the trial is conducted.” The Queen said with a twinkle in her eye that she was sure only she could see.

Clara bowed respectably before turning to leave the ballroom.

“Mother, if I may?” Jiyong spoke. But clearly nothing else was needed to be said as Jiyong walked beside Clara out of the ballroom.

 

 

 

~~~

 

 

 

Once they were in the safety of Clara’s room, Kwon pulled her into a hug that she knew fighting against it would be pointless.

“Don’t ever do that to me again.” He whispered into her hair. She could feel his body shaking against hers and pulled back to look up at him. “What were you thinking?”

She brought a hand up to wipe away a tear that escaped his eye with a smile. “I thought we were protecting something more important than me.”

“You’re the most important thing in my life. Not this crown or title. Those I could do without, but not you.” He kissed her forehead softly. “Why did you talk me into coming here?”

“Because I wanted you to know a truth I’ve known for years. Is that so wrong?” She laughed softly. “Now go. We don’t want them thinking you’re in love with me.”

Kwon chuckled and rolled his eyes. He knew that she knew the truth, so reiterating it would be purposeless. But he lifted her chin slightly so their eyes could meet before pressing his lips against hers for a sweet kiss before leaving her.

 

 

 

~~~

 

 

 

“Finally.” The Duke huffed as he wrangled the beast into a magical cage of sorts. It had deep blue scales, deep as the ocean, and golden eyes. “You will be perfect. You’re strong and capable of being by the king’s side.”

The young dragon cried out and cowered in the corner of the cage. He had fought against the duke for a few days to help keep him from the rest of the dragons in his nest for fear of what he might do. Now he was captured and injured, worried that what happened in the past that he learned so much about would come true once more.

The hunting of dragons.

 

 

 

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------

Alright so this update took me longer than I expected to write but its safe to say that this night is over and a new day begins.

I'm finally feeling like I can see the ending to this now. No spoilers from that for you tho ^_^

What did you guys think? A good comment can give me inspiration and I may update faster ^_^