26th Dragon

The Dragon Prince

Jiyong walked down the corridors to where he was told that his cousin’s room would be located. He had the others go ahead to the courtyard while he went to meet with his cousin. He took a breath before knocking on the door lightly.

“Come in.” Seunghyun’s deep voice boomed, surprising him.

He opened the door cautiously and it creaked. He found Seunghyun sitting at his desk filing out papers. Seunghyun looked up and nodded towards him.

“So what was it you wanted to talk about?” Jiyong asked as he walked around the room. He looked at the few portraits hanging on the walls and stopped to look at one in particular.

It was framed in an exquisite redwood that shined in the morning light. Within the frame was a painting of two people around the same age. As he stared at it longer, he recognized himself and Seunghyun. He was smiling and Seunghyun of course had a blank face. There was one thing that stood out to him.

“You haven’t worn your crown since you’ve returned.” Seunghyun walked up behind him and looked at the portrait as well. “In fact, when it comes to the laws at work here, I’m still crown prince.”

Jiyong blinked and looked at Seunghyun in confusion. “What do you mean?”

“You haven’t been put out to the public yet. This can always work in your favor since there hasn’t been a coronation for you since your return.”

Jiyong straightened up his stance and looked at his cousin with innate curiosity.

“It could be your way to marry Lady Clara.” Seunghyun said smiling slightly at Jiyong. “And I know you don’t want to be King. This way we can both be happy….well you’ll be happy.”

“And why wouldn’t you be happy? You would bring great changes to this kingdom. Even if your father, my uncle did try to get rid of me.” Jiyong patted his shoulder.

Seunghyun gave him a look of contempt. “Just like you, I do not wish to be king. But if this will keep this kingdom safe then I’ll take up the post. My father told me before he left that he wished for me to take the throne. When I told him no…let’s just say he wasn’t too pleased.”

Jiyong took in this new information and processed it. On the one hand, he would have a chance at happiness without the trouble and pressures that royal life would undoubtedly bring him. Yet on the other hand, others might become miserable because of him. And that was something he just didn’t want to risk.

“Cousin, I appreciate your generous thoughts towards my well-being. Although I am not legally the crown prince, I don’t want you to be miserable on my behalf.”

They stood there in silence, ideas running through their brains. “Until we can figure something out, I’ll keep the princess occupied so that you can win over Lady Clara.”

Jiyong chuckled. “It’s not her that needs winning over. It’s the King himself.”

 

 

 

~~~

 

 

 

Clara clambered down into the kitchens with Theo’s head sticking out of her cloak pocket. He snarled goofily and she shushed him with a gentle pat on the head. He was hungry and she knew that it would be best to get him something to eat before she went to watch the practice in the courtyard.

She peeked her head around the corner and waited until the kitchen was empty. Going into the cooling area for the meats, she took out a cut of meat the size of her face and began cutting it into smaller pieces.

Theo made a sound resembling a light purr as he watched her and his chops. Clara smiled down at him and gave him a bite of the raw meat. He gulped it down quickly then nuzzled her for more and she chuckled.

“I’m still hiding you from everyone so I have to make it look like it’s mine by cooking it first.”

The reptile grumbled but watched as she seasoned and placed the small chunks of meat on the skillet. His nostrils flared at the intoxicating smell and he wiggled in her pocket.

“Lady Clara!” She jumped at the sudden visitor. “What are you doing in the kitchen?”

She turned to see the head maid wiping her hands on her apron and smiling at her. She was a sweet old woman with her high cheekbones and short gray hair.

“Hello Insooni. I’m just making myself and the boys a little something for when they decide to take a break from practice.” Clara gestured to the steak that was nearly done and fought the urge to check on Theo.

“Oh well would you like some help? I know that they’re just men but I would think some sandwiches would go nicely with all that meat.” Insooni chuckled and went to grab some bread and cheeses.

Clara let out a breath before turning back to focus on the meat, slipping Theo a cooked piece while Insooni wasn’t looking.

Once the two of them had the food packed up nicely, Clara made her way out of the kitchen with the basket of food and hurried towards the courtyard.

Lina was already there smiling and talking with the other knights. She sensed Clara’s presence and turned to glare at her.

“I thought we said we didn’t need you here at breakfast?”

Clara smiled at her sweetly. “You said you didn’t need me. But there was no part in that conversation that said I couldn’t come and watch. Besides,” she turned to smile at Jiyong who had just walked into the courtyard with Seunghyun behind him. “I brought food for whenever the men wanted to take a break.”

“And what about me?” Lina asked raising her chin slightly.

Clara chuckled and walked over to a stone bench, ignoring her question. Lina’s jaw dropped and she stomped off towards the open field. She placed the basket of food down and took out the cooked pieces of steak that she wrapped separately before sitting down. She situated Theo so that he could be out of her pocket but still hidden from view.

“Are you alright?” Jiyong had walked up to her smiling down at Theo who was busying himself with the food that Clara handed him.

“I’m fine. I can still learn just by watching.” She said giving Theo another piece of meat. “It’s not so important that I have to be at your practices.”

Jiyong knelt in front of her and she jumped causing Theo to stop eating and look between the two of them curiously. Clara held her breath until he reached into her cloak to pet Theo, which the reptile gratefully welcomed.

“Come to my room later and we’ll put what you learn here to test.” He said as he stood up, leaving no room for her to protest as he walked over towards the others.

“Alright so shall we start where we left off last time?” Youngbae said enthusiastically.

Jiyong nodded and closed his eyes to concentrate. Lifting one hand, he flicked his wrist towards the dummy set up not too far from where he stood. It lit up in orange flames at first not burning it at all but it didn’t last long as the dummy was soon burning to a crisp.

“What exactly is this spell you’re trying to master?” Lina asked walking closer to Jiyong, her arms crossed over her chest.

“One where I give the illusion of the target being on fire without actually burning them.” Youngbae responded running his hand over his face in frustration. “But with him it only seems to last three seconds before we have to clean it up and try again.”

Jiyong looked over at Clara who watched with a smirk on her face.

Lina however let out an exasperated sigh. “That is one of the most basic spells ever. And you still haven’t mastered it? What have these knights been teaching you?”

Seungri glared at her. “Everything that our kingdom’s prince should know about our fighting style. Or did you forget that we aren’t from the same kingdoms, Princess?”

“Then why is he having a hard time with such a simple spell?”

“Why are we arguing about this instead of helping him? That is what you’re here for correct?” Daesung said standing between the two. They both looked at him then back at each other before turning away in a huff.

Seunghyun chuckled and looked at his cousin who was looking at Clara again. She was looking down at her hands in her lap and smiling slightly. “Alright, less fighting more teaching. Jiyong!”

Jiyong turned and walked closer to the others.

“When it comes to a spell like this one, you have to think of something you want to protect. Be it a person or a thing. Seeing as you are royalty, I would assume that you would want to protect the kingdom, no?”

Jiyong nodded. “Most definitely.”

“Good. Then imagine that the dummy is the entirety of our kingdom and people. Every creature and resource that helps to keep our land rich and loving. Think of these things for every spell you attempt to cast and it should be easier than slaying a dragon.”

A low growl came from where Clara sat and she looked up in shock.

“That was…my stomach. I’ll go ahead and take a snack.” She said quietly and Jiyong had to hold in his chuckles. He knew Theo did not take kindly to that statement but he would have to discuss that later with Seunghyun.

 

 

 

~~~

 

 

 

After a few hours of watching the practice, Clara stood to leave when she saw that they were finishing up. It was interesting to watch them playing with fire spells. She knew Jiyong had already mastered them. Had Lina not tagged along into the practice, it would have been her learning and moving with them.

Still, she took what she learned and went into her room. Once she shut the door, Theo got out of her gown pocket and curled up onto the pillow that she gave him earlier that day to sleep on.

“You almost got us caught today.” She said patting him on the head. He made a noise almost resembling a purr of a cat and smiled up at her.

“Did you enjoy watching Jiyong practice?” Theo nodded. He caught on to her silence and flew onto her shoulder.

“I’m fine. Don’t worry about me too much.”

I have to if you’re going to be his queen. And you take great care of me.

“Did I just—,” Clara looked at Theo with surprise and he just looked at her. “Never mind. Here.”

She placed Theo down on the floor away from anything that could be flammable and walked away from him. When she turned around he was right on her heels. She laughed. “No Theo. Go back to where I placed you.”

Making the purr noise again, he padded his way back over to the spot and turned to face her. Clara closed her eyes and focused on Theo. She knew that trying a fire spell on him wouldn’t harm him. She took a deep breath and opened her eyes.

Flicking her wrist slightly, she concentrated on Theo as her blue flames covered his body. His body wriggled with excitement as the fire warmed his body. She smiled and picked up the reptile still covered in flames. “I did it!” She thought excitedly as she held Theo close to her body. The flames stayed on Theo without burning her clothes and she danced around her room.

Outside her door, Jean peeked his head inside and saw Clara’s magic. He knew this would serve to be a problem for his princess.

 

 

 

Especially with the banquet happening tonight.

 

 

 

 

 

----------------------------------------------------------

I almost forgot about the banquet.

So yeah, you know what to look forward to for the next update.

Oh! Please tell me what you think! Am I making enough sense with the chapters?

Cause I had to go back and read through them to make sure that I was on the right timeline with the banquet and didn't accidentally skip it.

Love you my readers! <3