Let Me Help You

Be My Smile

 

Between the jazz fingers and the funny arm movements Daesung couldn't stop his mouth from twitching upward as he watched Seunghyun dance for him. He had declined on dancing himself but Seunghyun had insisted on doing so. It was the most awkward thing he had ever seen in his life. What was appalling was that Seunghyun didn't seem to mind that he was an awful dancer or that Daesung couldn't keep his smiles down.

 

At the end of the song Seunghyun through his hands in the air and bowed. He looked up from the bow with an exhausted expression. “Did you like it?”

 

That final remark made Daesung let out the laughter that he was holding in. It wasn't quite the reaction that Seunghyun was hoping for but as long as the boy was happy than so was he; for the time being.

 

“I don't know what you were going for but that was hilarious. I haven't had a laugh like that in a while.” his smile was bright and inviting. Something that matched his face more than a scowl.

 

“I'm glad to hear that I can at least make one person laugh, even if it's at my expense.” Seunghyun looked at his watch and realized it was getting late. He excused himself and rushed home. The day had been eventful and he couldn't wait to dwell on the happenings.

 

Daesung closed his eyes. Seunghyun was a weird guy, even though he was broken, he still had the ability to make people laugh. Daesung chuckled lifelessly, the sound came out rough and dry. Even though people treated him like dirt he still had a kind heart. So why was it that Daesung's heart had changed? People always wanted to talk to him, he wasn't treated too bad. It angered him that he let one person change his life to a worthless shadow. He let one person blacken his heart, and make him the man he is now.

 

His dry chuckles turned into sobs as he thought about his joke of a life. All he wanted was to go back to the way things were before. Before he was stupid enough to trust some guy he never knew. He had used to be so trusting of others, and accepting. He didn't have a care in the world and lived life one day at a time. Now he was reduced to someone who could only be happy through and other people's pain.

 

He wrapped his arms around his waist wishing that he could be like Seunghyun. He wanted to be able to make people happy like him. Maybe, if he had that, he would be able to make himself smile. Daesung wiped his tears, he wouldn't let himself be vulnerable; even if he was alone. Daesung had come to lean on being alone. What got him in trouble in the first place was not wanting to be alone, now it was his safe haven.

 

There was a problem with it though. Unknowingly he had caused this problem himself. With Seunghyun now by his side, how would he be able to let go? Seunghyun reminded him of his old self; the self that he cherished so deeply. What would he do once he finally got what he wanted? A part of him didn't want to let him go because of his innocence and the envious part wanted to use him up and throw away the remainder. It was a dilemma that Daesung had gotten himself into.

 

At first glance Daesung thought it would be easy to use Seunghyun for his own needs. What he didn't know was that he could actually like the guy just for some of his small gestures. The good side to him didn't want to hurt Seunghyun, but that was just a small tick compared to the monster that wanted to hurt everyone for what that man did. It made him go crazy inside with these conflicting issues. He wanted to be strong enough to make a decision and stick with it. It was either become the person that made him this way or find the strength to be good again.

 

 

“I don't like this Seunghyun.” since he had decided to befriend Seunghyun he wasn't allowed to be alone during lunch. Seunghyun made sure that Daesung would sit with him today.

 

“Shut up and eat your fruit.”

 

Daesung looked at him with an appalled expression. He normally didn't speak that way.

 

“It seems like someone decided to be a man today.”

 

“Oh god no.”

 

“What? I was wrong?”

 

“No not that, they're coming this way.” a look of distress was plastered on Seunghyun's face.

 

“Who's coming this way?” he looked to see no one that looked like a threat to him.

 

Seunghyun put his head down and pointed. “Those two.”

 

“Who? The androgynous guy and his follower? You've got to be kidding me.”

 

“Shh!” he tried to cover his face with a bundle of grapes.

 

Daesung looked over at the approaching duo and gave them a sly smile. It would be embarrassing to let those two show him up and he wouldn't back down. They stood in front of the table and looked down at Daesung and Seunghyun.

 

“Seunghyun.”

 

Seunghyun put the grapes down and cleared his throat. “Jiyong.”

 

Daesung looked at the two intently. He raised an eyebrow at the two, he was about to say something but something had dawned on him. Quickly he looked away from the two pretending to be interested in something else. He hoped that Jiyong wouldn't notice him.

 

“Seunghyun, I see you have a friend, how unfortunate for this guy.”

 

“What do you want Jiyong.” his voice didn't hold any emotion.

 

“To make my day better and yours worse.” he turned toward Daesung, “I suggest you stop hanging with this guy, you wouldn't want your image to be tainted with his presence.”

 

Daesung didn't look at Jiyong, “Yeah whatever.”

 

Jiyong took his actions as an insult and spun Daesung around prepared to give him a piece of his mind. On the other hand once he saw his face he backed up and blushed profusely. “Oh, it's you.”

 

Seunghyun looked from one to the other. He wondered how the two knew each other, and whether that was good or bad.

 

Daesung took in a deep breath and put on his signature smirk. As much as he didn't like seeing Jiyong in the same vicinity he had to keep his cool. “Well if it isn't Jiyong, shouldn't you be somewhere? Or did you come back for more?”

 

Jiyong coughed ashamedly, “I didn't think I would see you here, or anywhere for that matter.” he shuffled from one foot to the other. “Did Taeyang find out?” he whispered it so no one else could here.

 

“To think I thought you were the one that told. Oh he knows and he isn't happy about it. You might want to bring him a gift the next time you see him.”

 

Jiyong swallowed frightfully, “What about you?”

 

“Don't worry about me I'm fine. You should probably leave and figure out how you're going to get on Taeyang's good side.” Daesung leaned back in his chair, finished with the conversation.

 

Jiyong forgot why he was there in the first place and turned to leave. He looked over his shoulder and scowled. “Seungri do you just plan on standing there or are you coming with?”

 

Seungri snapped out of the stupor he was in and trailed behind Jiyong.

 

Daesung looked over to Seunghyun, “Does that guy not talk?”

 

“Only when told to.” Seunghyun looked at Daesung expectantly.

 

“What?”

 

“Do you mind explaining what that was about. Normally Jiyong doesn't leave till he's tortured me in some way.”

 

“Let's just say we knew each other for a bit, but you don't have to worry about that.” he patted his shoulder and stood up from the table. “You ready?”

 

Seunghyun wanted a bit more information but he opted not to ask. Something told him that he really didn't want to know. “Yeah sure.” they cleared their trays and walked out the cafeteria.

 

Seunghyun looked over at Daesung, “Do you... want to go get ice cream later?” he bit his lip awaiting an answer.

 

Daesung groaned, “I told you not to do that.”

 

“No, you never told me what I was doing. How am I supposed to stop doing something if I don't know what your talking about?” he bit his lip again, this time in frustration.

 

“Ah! Stop it, keep your teeth away from your lips.”

 

“You don't like it when I bite my lip? Weirdo.” Seunghyun stuffed his hands into his pockets, “So, ice cream? I'm buying.”

 

“I suppose, after school then?”

 

Seunghyun smiled, like for real smiled. “Yeah, after school!”

 

“Are you sure you're not a girl?”

 

Seunghyun was excited. Daesung didn't know whether if it was because he was coming with or because he really liked ice cream.

 

“I'm going to get two scoops and sprinkles and chocolate and...

 

“Seunghyun!”

 

“Yes?”

 

“Please stop.”

 

“Okay.” he zipped his lips and didn't say another word.

 

Daesung shook his head and wondered how he could be so cheerful. He was completely different from anyone else he had ever met.

 

They had finished getting ice cream and decided to sit at a table outside. Daesung was thoroughly amused by Seunghyun, he watched as he got ice cream all over his chin and mouth. Seunghyun tried in vain to the remainder of the ice cream off his chin. It aggravated Daesung so he threw a couple napkins at him. It was a wonder how Seunghyun could take care of himself with the way he acted.

 

“How do you do it?”

 

“How do I do what?” Seunghyun threw their trash in a nearby trashcan.

 

“Act the way you do. How can you be like this?”

 

“It's just who I am I guess. I can't really cry or be upset all the time; can I? Maybe I've just come to except it.” he put on a small smile, “Sooner or later I'm going to get out of school and that's when I'll be able to rebuild my self confidence. Though there are some things that will never change.”

 

“Like what?”

 

“I'll always be ugly.”

 

Daesung almost choked on his saliva, he coughed a few times then stared at Seunghyun in disbelief. “Ugly! Are you crazy? Have you looked in the mirror lately? You absolutely are not ugly.”

 

“Hah! I look in the mirror every day, I know what I look like. You don't have to be nice.”

 

“If you knew me you would know that I wouldn't ever spare your feelings, I am telling the truth when I say that you're beyond ugly.”

 

Seunghyun smiled appreciatively he still believed that Daesung was only lying. If he wasn't, then did that mean everyone else was a liar? “You know, I have my skeletons and I still haven't dealt with them, I wonder, have you dealt with yours?”

 

Daesung furrowed his eyebrows, “What do you mean?”

 

“I can tell when someone is dealing with something heavy. Are you dealing with something in your life?”

 

“And if I was? What's it to you? My problems are my problems I'll deal with them accordingly.”

 

“If you don't let it all out you might do something that you'll regret. You have to release your pain.”

 

“I do, just not in the way you would think.”

 

“How?”

 

Daesung leaned forward, “.”

 

“Oh, that is pretty unconventional; I'm not sure if I wanted to know that.”

 

“So what do you do then? If I'm so weird.”

 

Seunghyun hesitated, he grabbed the sleeve of his shirt and pulled it up. He gave Daesung a face that told him he had nothing to lose.

 

“You... cut? Seunghyun, that's not good.” he tried to touch his arm but Seunghyun jerked away.

 

“It's no big deal, everybody has their ways of dealing with things, this is mine.”

 

Daesung grew quiet, he didn't know that Seunghyun was this troubled. It almost made him want to quit while he was ahead; almost. He also knew that for him to get what he wanted he might end up hurting him more than he intended to.

 

“Cutting isn't something that you just casually do, you must really be hurting to do something like that.”

 

“I told you, it isn't a big deal. It's nothing, so drop it.”

 

Daesung got up from his seat and walked over to Seunghyun. He grabbed his arm and pulled him into a hug. “You shouldn't think that about something so serious. You shouldn't physically hurt yourself and let others emotionally hurt you. It isn't healthy.”

 

Seunghyun slowly wrapped his arms around the other, “I told you it's not-

 

“Shut up, you idiot, can't you see that I'm trying to help you?” he held him closely, “I don't just waste my affections on anyone.”

 

“To think that I wanted to help you.”

 

Daesung pulled away, “Help me with what?”

 

“Your own problems, I wanted to make you smile. I still do; if you'd let me.” he looked at Daesung sincerely. He wanted to help him, he thought that was what friends were supposed to do.

 

“You can't help me. I'm stuck like this forever, I'm beyond repair.”

 

“That's okay if you think that way, I'll still try, even if you don't help me help you.”

 

Daesung was speechless for once. Is this who Seunghyun really is? A selfless guy that wanted to help others even though he needed fixing himself? Could he really go through with this while knowing that he'd be using someone so pure? Daesung almost face palmed, Seunghyun was wrong, he wasn't the monster; Daesung was.

 

 

( Hey guys! I flipped when I saw how many views and subs i got already [like i tumbled out of my chair]. I was pretty sure it would take a while before I even got one. You guys are amazing and thank you for spending your time on my story.) *smiley face*