Stop Running Away

Be My Smile

“What have you been doing lately?”

 

“Is inviting me over to your place going to be a regular thing?”

 

Youngbae had invited Daesung over again. This time Daesung had no clue as to why he could have been called over. Also he remembered to put on some pants.

 

“That's not the answer that I wanted.”

 

“If you want to know I've been staying out of trouble. I haven't done anything wrong yet.”

 

“Yet? What have you been doing?”

 

“I've been hanging with a friend. Geez you act like I can't handle myself.”

 

“What friend? Do I know him?”

 

“He lives around this neighborhood, I don't think you know him.”

 

Youngbae glared at him suspiciously, “I know everybody around here. Who is this guy? Are you really staying out of trouble?”

 

“Yes! I am staying out of trouble. If you really want to know his name, it's Seunghyun.”

 

Youngbae jumped out of his seat, “What did I tell you about saying out of trouble!? Have you been seeing Jiyong again? Don't lie to me or you're going to be sorry.”

 

“What's the matter with you? No I haven't seen Jiyong and why do you keep asking me if I'm staying out of trouble?” Daesung sat there perplexed, he had no idea of what had gotten into Youngbae, also now didn't seem the time to tell him that they went to the same school.

 

“I don't want you hanging around Seunghyun, he may be quiet but he's bad news.”

 

“Trust me, once you get to know the guy he isn't quiet.” Daesung folded his arms and leaned back in his chair.

 

“Was that an innuendo? Have you? With Seunghyun? I told you I didn't want you around anybody I worked with.” Youngbae was getting worked up again.

 

“Huh? What are you talking about? Why would Seunghyun work with someone who he's afraid of? Are you sure we're on the same page?” Daesung was now utterly confused. He didn't think that Seunghyun knew Youngbae personally, but it could be possible.

 

“Of course we're on the same page. Seunghyun is affiliated with that Jiyong guy and we're not on good terms as of lately; all thanks to you.” Youngbae pursed his lips, “How is it that you keep finding people who know me?”

 

“I'm still confused, Seunghyun and Jiyong aren't friends, but they work together?”

 

“Huh? Their really close, what are you talking about?”

 

“No, they don't like each other.”

 

“No, the guy follows Seunghyun around like a leech.”

 

Daesung looked at Youngbae like he was crazy. “You must be mistaken, last I saw Jiyong was hanging around someone named Seungri.”

 

“That's the same guy, I don't know why they call him that the name doesn't suit him. Wait I thought you said you haven't seen Jiyong.”

 

Daesung gave him a blank look. He now knew what the misunderstanding was. “Seungri's name is also Seunghyun. We were talking about two different people.”

 

“What? Oh... never mind then, I don't know him. So, how did you meet this other Seunghyun?”

 

“Really, Taeyang, really? You can be so weird sometimes.”

 

“I said never mind, anyways what is this new friend for?”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“You haven't made a real friend since-

 

“Excuse me?”

 

Youngbae cleared his throat and tried a different approach, “What I mean is you haven't made a friend unless you had something to gain from it. Is he really your friend or something else?”

 

Daesung chewed on his lip, he had been considering what Seunghyun really was to him for a while. A true friend? Or just someone to ease the pain. “He's uh. I don't know what he is.”

 

“Daesung don't do this again. You keep putting yourself into situations that not only hurt you, but the others around you. How many times are you going to pursue a relationship just so you can get what you want out of it and leave the other hanging?”

 

“Who said it was like that?” Daesung couldn't look Youngbae in the eye; he knew when he was right.

 

Youngbae scoffed, “So are you telling me that you're not using this guy? What does he think about you?”

 

“We're friends, that's what I told him and that's what we are.”

 

“Don't fool yourself, I know what your intentions are. You're going to do it again, your going to use him up like you used the other guy. Like you tried to do to me!” Youngbae was seething now, he didn't want Daesung to go down the same road. He just wanted him to stop all this, and ask for help. He was always trying to do things alone.

 

“You don't know anything. You don't know why I do this. You can never understand.”

 

“Then make me understand, and I do know why. It's because of what happened between you and-

 

“Will you shut up? I don't want to talk about it, I don't ever want to talk about it. I don't even know why you still insist on acting like you care. You don't like me, you resent having to be around me I can tell. Why don't you just leave me alone? I know you haven't forgiven me.” Daesung squeezed his eyes shut and waited for the inevitable. He was waiting for Youngbae to start lying through his teeth, like he always did. He knew that he didn't really care about him.

 

“I stay by you, because I made a promise that I would and your right, I don't like you.”

 

Daesung snapped his eyes open, “I knew it, you were always lying to me.”

 

“You didn't let me finish, I don't like you because you refuse to let me help you. You don't take anyone else's feelings before your own. You lie, you hurt people. You do all that just because you won't face the past and live through it. And no, I won't forgive you until you forgive yourself, but just because I said all that doesn't mean I don't care about you. I do; that's why I refuse to break my promise.”

 

“You're always talking about some stupid promise. I don't know who it is that made you promise something so stupid, but you have to be a complete idiot to keep it. I wouldn't hang around someone like me. I'm weak and take a lot of things for granted, I waste my life, and worst of all I can't feel.” Daesung wrapped his arms around himself, “As much as I try to, I just can't. Everything I do is fake, my tears are fake, my laugh is fake, my emotions are fake. So thank you for your generosity, but I don't need your promises. They won't work on me.”

 

“Even after all I said you still insist on pushing me away.” Youngbae looked sorrowful, “Unlike other people I chose to stay by your side after all the crap you put me through, yet you still are trying to force me to go away.” he walked toward Daesung and sat in front of him, “When will you learn that I'm not that easy to get rid of?”

 

“You just don't like being told what to do, soon you'll realize it's not worth it. In the meantime I'll just have to show you that I'm not worth saving.”

 

“What is that supposed to mean?”

 

“I'm going to do what I do best.” Daesung got up and rushed out of the house. He didn't want Youngbae to catch him and try to change his mind.

 

Youngbae couldn't believe how insufferable one person could be. He feared the worst when he thought about what Daesung could have meant. Right now the only thing that he was good at was hurting people and himself. Could he be implying that he was going to do something to Seunghyun? He had never thought that Daesung could turn out to be so malicious. If only he would just take the hand that he was offering then all of this wouldn't be happening.

 

Youngbae didn't want anyone else to get hurt in his and Daesung's mess. If that meant that he would have to put himself between Seunghyun and Daesung then he would do so. The poor guy didn't even know what he was up against dealing with Daesung. If Seunghyun knew what was going on Youngbae didn't think he would stick around for to long. It was a shame that other people had to get hurt in order for Daesung to have a fleeting ease of pain.

 

Youngbae decided that he would head down to he school tomorrow to find this Seunghyun. With any luck he would be able to find him there.

 

Many people stared at him as he walked by. Youngbae almost wanted to turn around and forget about his plan. He looked around and approached a nerdy looking boy by his locker.

 

“Hey you.”

 

The kid jumped at his voice and slowly turned around. “I don't have any lunch money, somebody already took it.”

 

“What? Do people still do that? I just have a question.”

 

“Oh, alright what is it?”

 

“Do you know where a person named Seunghyun is?”

 

“Seunghyun? Why would I know where that guy is? I wouldn't talk to him even if there was a ten foot pole between us.”

 

“Okay then.” Youngbae tuned to leave.

 

“I knew there was something wrong with Seunghyun, especially if he's dealing with that guy.”

 

He turned around, “What'd you say?”

 

“I mean if someone like you is looking for Seunghyun then he must be into something bad, right?” the guy twiddled his thumbs nervously.

 

“A guy like me? What is tat supposed to mean?”

 

“Well everybody knows who you are, a lot of people know you dropped out to do something illegal.”

 

“Who says what I do is illegal? I'm no criminal! You know what, I would stick around to chat, but have something more important to do.”

 

Youngbae walked away infuriated. So that's why people were staring at him, they thought that he was some sort of threat. He shook his head and cleared his mind. He didn't have to deal with people's inquiries. What was important is that he found Seunghyun.

 

Before he take a couple more steps a girly voice called his name.

 

“Youngbae!”

 

He tensed his shoulders and slowly turned around. “It's Taeyang.” he narrowed his eyes at the girl standing before him.

 

“Whatever, I heard you were looking for Seunghyun.”

 

“You heard? Or were you eavesdropping?”

 

“Does it matter? Look, if you want to catch him, you should walk down that hallway over there.”

 

Youngbae looked behind him at the deserted hallway she was pointing to. “That hallway is deserted.”

 

“Exactly, it's where he goes when he's had enough. Usually people just leave him alone when it gets to that point. You should probably go before he leaves.” she had said everything in a matter of fact tone; like it happened everyday.

 

Youngbae didn't want to be delayed any longer so he said his thanks and raced down the hall. At first he didn't see anyone down the hall and thought that girl had lied to him. Once he got closer he noticed the bundle at the end of the hall actually was a person.

 

He walked a bit closer and stood to the side of the the huddled figure. He tapped the persons shoulder. “Seunghyun?”

 

Seunghyun looked up, he had a bloodied lip and a cut above his eye. “Are you here to finish me off? If you are, I've been waiting.”

 

Youngbae automatically reached down and examined his face. It was a habit he had acquired when dealing with Daesung. “Are you okay? Who did this to you?”

 

Seunghyun chuckled, “Everyone.” he batted Youngbae's hand away, “Can you do me a favor?”

 

“Yeah sure what do you want?”

 

“Can you kill me?”

 

That question had made Youngbae's heart skip a beat. He had asked it like he was just asking for a glass of milk. It reminded him of someone else who had once asked that question.

 

Seunghyun grabbed Youngbae's hand, “Can you also tell Daesung that I was wrong? I don't think I'll be here long enough to help him; tell him I'm sorry.”

 

“Why are you asking me this?”

 

“You know Daesung right? Your Taeyang, so you can tell him that I won't be here and that I'm sorry.” he looked with pleading eyes. It wasn't hard to figure out what he meant when he said that he wouldn't be there.

 

Taeyang rubbed his forehead, he had come down there trying to protect Seunghyun from Daesung, but it turned out he needed to protect him from his self. He made a split decision. “Get up, your coming with me.”

 

He dragged the significantly taller Seunghyun down to his place and sat him on his couch. He paced around the room trying to think of what he should do. “What happened?”

 

“Before I answer that, do you have an ice pack?”

 

Youngbae nodded his head thinking that Seunghyun wanted it for his face. He handed it to him and almost freaked out when Seunghyun started lifting up his shirt. “Whoa, what are you doing?”

 

Seunghyun put the pack on his stomach and pulled down his shirt. “Icing.”

 

Youngbae furrowed his eyebrows, “Lift up your shirt.”

 

“I don't think I want to do that.” he stared uncomfortably at Youngbae.

 

“Take your shirt off or i'll make you.” Youngbae didn't want to sound threatening, but he knew Seunghyun wasn't going to comply unless he made a threat.

 

As Youngbae told him, he took off his shirt, unsure as to why he made him do it in the first place.

 

There were bruises littered all over Seunghyun's stomach and side. He noticed that Seunghyun was breathing shallowly with his hand resting over his rib cage. Youngbae could see Seunghyun clenching his jaw and every few breaths he would wince painfully.

 

He knelt in front of Seunghyun and started asking him a few questions about how he was feeling. Once he was done he came back with a glass of water and some pain meds. “I think your ribs are just bruised but you should go to a doctor to make sure they're not broken.” he sat on the coffee table in front of Seunghyun.

 

“You didn't have to do this, it doesn't matter in the end.” the way Seunghyun talked made Youngbae uneasy. He got the feeling that Seunghyun was almost passed the point of caring for himself.

 

“What happened before I got to the school?”

 

“Well, I was just grabbing my books, when some guys jumped me. They thought it would be funny to beat me up, while telling me that I was nothing but scum. It wouldn't have hurt so bad if someone would have helped, but nobody did; they all just laughed.” Seunghyun grimaced, what he was trying to achieve was a smile, “It's okay though, it helped me realize that maybe I was a mistake in the world and that I should erase that mistake, so everyone else can be happy.”

 

“You sound like Daesung. He's what I wanted to talk to you about in the first place.” it was imperative for Youngbae to keep Seunghyun away from Daesung. He felt that if Daesung got a hold of him then he would surely end up killing himself. “I need you to stay away from Daesung Seunghyun, if you don't then I don't think you'd be able to handle what's coming to you.” he couldn't believe that he was dealing two broken souls in his life.

 

“Is that so? I'm sure he couldn't do as much damage as the years have already done to me. If I do decide to live then i'll use the rest of my life to help Daesung. I told him I would help him.”

 

“What makes you think that you can help him? I've been trying to do the same thing your trying to do for a year now and I haven't gotten any progress. So what makes you so special?”

 

“Nothing. I just thought that if I couldn't use my strength to help myself, then why don't I use it to help someone else?”

 

“He'll end up hurting you, especially if you like him. Do you like him?”

 

“He's pretty cool when he isn't telling me to shut up or yelling at me. So I guess I like him.” Seunghyun's innocence poured out with his misunderstanding of what Youngbae meant.

 

“No, I mean do you like him.”

 

“Oh, no not like that. I'm not gay.”

 

“Your not gay.” it was more of a statement than a question. For the life of him Youngbae couldn't think of what Daesung could possibly get from Seunghyun if he wasn't gay.

 

While Youngbae was in thought Seunghyun got ready to get up and go. Since they were already in his neighborhood he didn't think it would take to long to get home.

 

“Hey where are you going?” Youngbae grabbed his arm before he could go anywhere.

 

“Home?”

 

“Is anyone at your house?”

 

“No.”

 

“Then your staying here.”

 

Seunghyun stared at Youngbae with a puzzled expression. “That's okay, I should be getting home.”

 

“If I let you go home and you kill yourself I wouldn't be able to forgive myself. So for the sake of my sanity your staying here till I think you're mentally fit to go home.”

 

“Then I would never leave.”

 

“Well if that's how it's going to be, than that's how it's going to be.”

 

Seunghyun sighed, he wasn't the type to argue so he agreed.

 

Youngbae was amazed at how easy it was to get him to agree to staying with him. He had offered the same option to Daesung once, but Daesung blatantly refused and stormed out. It was refreshing to finally have someone listen to him, even if they thought they had no choice. Truth is, if Seunghyun would of insisted on leaving then Youngbae would have had to let him go.

 

“Taeyang?”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Daesung wasn't at school today, do you know where he could have gone?”

 

“Are you kidding me?” Youngbae shook his head, “Tomorrow your going over to Daesung's place, forget about going to school.”

 

“Me? Why don't you do it?”

 

“He doesn't see me right now, and besides you said you wanted to help him right?”

 

“I do.”

 

“Then this for me. I'll guarantee you he'll be there. Do you know where he lives?”

 

“Yeah.” Seunghyun looked down at his feet. “Taeyang?”

 

“What?”

 

“I misjudged you. I'm sorry for that.”

 

“Don't worry, I can assure you that you probably weren't to far off.”