Falling - Dongwoo

From Beginning to End

Another drabble request featuring Dongwoo. Tried to experiment with a more fantasy type of genre so I hope you all enjoy! ~Admin Kelc

---

Dongwoo was absolutely glowing.

Excitement lit up his eyes and adrenaline pumped through his veins as he swerved between stars and sprinted past galaxies, a tail of light trailing behind him.

He closed his eyes and spread his arms out as he pushed himself faster and faster through the emptiness of outer space.

There wasn’t anything that could compare to the weightlessness of running faster than the speed of sound, the freedom of traveling through pure nothingness.

He felt like nothing could ever stop him or bring him down. He felt invincible.

But he wasn’t.

The moment Dongwoo opened his eyes, he collided with an oncoming meteor, knocking him off track and sending him summersaulting towards a nearby moon.

Dongwoo tried to regain his footing but the gravity was so strong that he had no choice but to brace himself as he plummeted towards the ground.

“Ow,” he winced as he sat up.

Dongwoo looked around at the creator he was sitting in the middle of.

“A falling star,” he heard a whisper.

“I’m a shooting star,” he muttered as he stood up and brushed dust off of his jacket, the glowing light around him slowly dimming.

There wasn’t anything that bugged him more than people calling him a falling star. Falling implies failing and Dongwoo doesn’t fail.

“But you fell from the sky. Doesn’t that make you a falling star?”

Dongwoo let out an irritated sigh, “Look-”

But he faltered when his eyes landed on a small girl. Her silver hair flowed down her back like a waterfall and her big eyes were full of curiosity.

Dongwoo blinked and looked around, “Where am I?”

“On Neith,” she answered, her voice sounded like the melody to a sweet love song, “And right now, we’re near the eastern hemisphere of Venus.”

“So that means…” he whispered as he stared in awe, “You’re a Starlight.”

He had never seen one in person, but he’s heard the stories about the enchantresses of the universe. How they bewitch travelers and make them fall in love, only to break their hearts in the end.

“Done ogling?” she raised an eyebrow at him.

“Well come on, we need to get going. Unless you want to stay here in this creator forever,” she continued when he didn’t respond, already walking away from him.

Dongwoo shook his head and knitted his eyebrows together before catching up with her.

“I wasn’t-“

“You don’t have to lie,” she cut him off, “But you don’t have to worry about me ‘casting a spell on you’,” she raised her hands and wiggled her fingers at him with a teasing smile.

“And why should I believe you?” he asked with narrow eyes.

“Because I’m a Morning Starlight,” she flicked some of her hair over her shoulder as she climbed over the edge of the creator, “The Evening Starlights are the flirts.”

Dongwoo stared at her in confusion, “I never knew there were two types of Starlights.”

“Most don’t,” she blew her bangs out of her eyes, “Almost everyone thinks that we all try to seduce men, just to play with their feelings for fun. But not all of us are like that.”

Dongwoo felt butterflies in his stomach when she glanced over at him and gave him a small smile.

“So all the Morning Starlights are here?” he found himself asking.

“Yup,” she nodded once, “Long story short, there was a huge fight between the Starlights and the Morning Starlights were banished from Venus and sent here.”

“Wow, just for wanting to protect others’ feelings?” he asked, “That’s horrible.”

“It’s not that bad,” she shrugged, “We get to live in peace and help lost travelers. Like falling stars,” she smirked.

Shooting star,” he corrected, glancing at her from the corner of his eyes.

“Whatever you say,” she teased with a soft laugh.

The two walked on, a comfortable silence falling over them like a warm blanket.

“So,” Dongwoo cleared his throat and clasped his hands behind his back, “I’m sure you’ve caught a lot of travelers’ eyes, even though you don’t really try to.”

“Not really. I mean, why would they like me?” she turned her head to look at him, “I would never be the first to greet them and don't really take the initiative to talk to them first. I’m pretty sure they didn’t even notice me among the other Starlights.”

 “But … you’re beautiful,” he mumbled, his cheeks turning a light shade of pink, “Didn’t you ever think that one of them could be a potential partner? I’m sure at least a few of them were good looking.”

“I don’t want to be with someone because of how they look on the exterior and I don’t want someone to like me because of how I look either,” she answered simply, “I want to be with someone who loves me for what’s on the inside. Isn’t that what love’s all about, falling star?”

Dongwoo gazed at her, his heart thumping in his chest as she covered with one hand to stop herself from giggling. The jab would have normally bugged him to no end, but surprisingly it didn’t.

At that moment, he realized was a falling one.

And boy, was he falling hard.