Change In The Weather - Sunggyu

From Beginning to End

Sunggyu for daisukeys. I honestly have no idea how this one came about. But here it is! Hope you all enjoy! ~Admin Kelc

---

During the fourth moon cycle of the year, just as the celestial body in the night sky starts to wane, dark rain clouds blanket the sky and droplets giggle as they cannonball down to the earth. Umbrellas pop up over the sidewalk and windshield wipers sway to a steady beat. The occasional businessman curses at the sky as he holds a newspaper over his head and desperately tries to hail a cab to escape the cold.

Sunggyu rests his head in his palm, boredom blatantly written all over his face as he continues to tip his silver watering can over the little city. He picks some lint off of his grey sweater and blows his bangs out of his eyes as the miniature buildings and roads start to shine with moisture. 

The Rain Keeper doesn’t look up when the perfectly balanced, two-ton, golden doors swing open and another presence enters the room.

“What’s with the scowl?” a voice over his shoulder asks.

Sunggyu sighs and carefully places his watering can on the stand next to the city, making sure it’s angled for a light shower and not a heavy downfall. Water trickles out of the nozzle as he swivels his chair around and meets a pair of bright eyes staring down at him.

“I’m not scowling,” he answers the Sun Keeper blandly, “This is just how my face looks.”

“Your face doesn’t ‘just look that like’,” she shakes her head, “You’re frowning. And that, evidently, means you’re scowling as well.” 

Sunggyu scoffs and spins back towards the tiny city that sits upon an emerald pedestal on a giant table carved out of pure marble. He leans back in his chair and watches the tiny people and cars move throughout the city.

He pays no attention to his fellow Keeper as she hops onto the table and studies Sunggyu with curiosity.

“What’s wrong?” she tilts her head to the side as she swings her legs, “Usually everyone gets excited when it’s their turn,” she looks at the metropolitan in the middle of the table for a second, “But why are you always sad during this time of the year?”

Sunggyu doesn’t reply and continues to stare at his watering can.

She looks down and twiddles with her fingers in her lap, “You don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to.”

“Rain is an inconvenience,” he mumbles, “It ruins picnics, turns a two block walk into a hassle, and is even associated with feelings depression and melancholy. Winter is done and people are ready for warmth. I don’t understand why I have to bring rain now.”

“Haven’t you heard of ‘April showers bring May flowers’?” the Sun Keeper asks with a soft laugh, “If you refuse to bring this month’s rain, I think Sungjong would be quite upset if his blossoms refuse to be awoken next moon cycle.”

The corners of Sunggyu lips turn up slightly, “He’d probably sulk for the rest of spring.”

“Probably,” she giggles, “But I think a few other people would sulk as well if they weren’t able to give rose to their loved ones or have lilies and carnations at their weddings.”

“That’s true, I guess. But it still doesn’t change the fact that rain dampens a good day’s mood.”

Another sigh escapes Sunggyu’s lips as the girl in front of him tucks a lock of golden brown hair behind her ear with a pout. She looks around the room and her eyes light up when they land on a small dresser that’s pushed against the wall to Sunggyu’s back.

“Well, maybe we can change that,” she smiles and hops off of the table.

He looks over his shoulder and finds the girl sifting through the top drawer. She stands up after a few moments of searching and skips back over to Sunggyu, a golden tin in her hands. He stares at her with wide eyes when she plops herself down on his lap and scoots the both of them closer to the table with her feet, but decides not to say anything.

“I agree with you that the rain makes the city look a little … gloomy,” she says as tilts her head to the side.

Sunggyu leans over her shoulder as she twists the cap off of the container. She takes a handful of gold dust that fills the tin and tosses it over the city.

“But maybe it just needs a little light,” she whispers as she leans her back against the Rain Keeper’s chest.

Sunggyu wraps his arms around her waist and rests his chin on her shoulder, reveling in her warmth as they watch small beams of light push through the layer of grey and an arc of color stretch over the tiny buildings.

Rain alone is too cold, sun too hot.

But when they’re put together, they make something truly beautiful.