Summer Haze - Kris

From Beginning to End

I've been meaning to write a drabble based on the movie Epic for a while now, and I finally found the motivation to do so! Man, I just get so many feels from Tara and Ronin. But I hope you all enjoy! ~Admin Kelc

---

Beyond the skyscrapers and the busy highways, away from the polluted air and the poisoned soil, there is a kingdom nestled away amongst the century old oak trees and tall blades of glass that dance in the wind.

Wu Fan, a knight of the kingdom (a Leaf Man, more specifically, and the general at that), flies through the kingdom atop his hummingbird steed. Over the pond where the water lilies are farmed and past the hollowed tree where caterpillars produce the finest silks, Wu Fan heads straight for the center of the kingdom.

He gracefully lands his trusty steed in front a pathway that leads to a castle made only of the most beautiful flowers of the forest. As he dismounts, a handler runs up to him and takes the reigns, guiding the bird towards a feeding area.

He pulls off his green leaf helmet and as one of the queen’s assistants walks up to him.

“She’s waiting for you,” the assistant says as she takes his helmet.

“Of course,” Wu Fan shakes his head as he runs a hand through his golden locks, ridding himself of helmet hair.

The attendant gives a small bow before disappearing through a wall of grass. Wu Fan adjusts his armor, green to match his helmet, and fixes his arm guards, also green, before starting down the path.

Snowdrops bow over his head and foxgloves ring like bells with every gentle breeze. As he nears the end of the path, two fern leaves curl back to reveal …

‘An empty garden?’ Wu Fan tips his head to the side in confusion.

Suddenly, he feels something latch onto his shoulders.

“Boo!”

Wu Fan turns around slowly and gives you a small smile.

“I didn’t scare you?” you frown.

“No,” he laughs.

“Not even a little?”

He shakes his head.

You let out a small huff and purse your lips before glaring up at the Leaf Man.

“I will get you one day, Wu Fan,” you point a finger at him.

“I will be waiting,” he murmurs

He reaches up and straightens your tiara that’s woven out of the finest crown flowers in the kingdom.

Your pout turns into a grin when Wu Fan tucks your hair behind your ear and your cheek lightly with the back of his fingers.

He soon returns his hand and watches you enter the garden, the train of your orchid petal dress trailing behind you.

“So, what brings you to the castle?” you ask, crossing the bridge over a small stream and stepping up onto the platform of the gazebo that stands in the center of the garden, “Did you miss me?”

Wu Fan casually strolls up to the gazebo as well, “I always miss your company, Your Highness.”

“Hey! None of that!” you throw over your shoulder as you gently coax a drooping snapdragon to stand tall, “We’ve known each other far too long to be using formalities.”

“But I used to call you Princess before and you didn’t seem to mind,” he reminds you.

You drop your hands to your sides, your shoulders slumping a little, “I thought that was a term of endearment.”

“It can be whatever you want it to be,” Wu Fan chuckles, “But anyhow, I am actually here on other business.”

“Leaf Men business?”

“Of sorts.”

You turn around and give him a look of concern.

“It has been brought to my attention that the Queen has not yet chosen a summer heir,” Wu Fan raises his eyebrows.

You sigh and walk up to where Wu Fan is standing at the entrance to the gazebo. You stand at the edge of the platform and find yourself a little taller than the Leaf Man for once.

“You know I can’t just choose a summer heir like that,” you snap your fingers, “That little lily bud, which ever one I choose, will hold all the secrets of next year’s spring and bloom into the first lily of summer.”

“But spring is almost over. If you don’t choose an heir by the summer solstice and something happens to you –”

“Nothing is going to happen to me,” you interrupt, “I have all the Leaf Men in the kingdom protecting me.”

You place your hands on Wu Fan’s shoulders, massaging them until the tension leaves his body.

“But most importantly,” you wrap your arms around his neck and peer at him through your eyelashes, “I have you to protect me.”

A sigh escapes Wu Fan’s lips and he lightly places his hands on your hips. You guide his head to rest on your shoulder and run your fingers through the soft hair at the nape of his neck.

“I just worry about you,” he breathes.

“I know.”

Wu Fan lifts his head and looks into your eyes, “I just don’t know what I’d do if anything happens to you.”

“Well, in that case,” you tip your head to the side with a sweet smile, “you just have to stay by my side to ensure that nothing does.”

You cup his cheeks with both hands and lean down to place a fleeting kiss on Wu Fan’s lips.

You rest your forehead against his and whisper, “But if it makes you feel better …”

“Girls,” you call, “Please prepare my chariot for me.”

Wu Fan looks over his shoulder to see three blushing flower girls peering through the blades of grass with wide eyes.

He immediately draws his hands from your hips and clears his throat as you giggle at both his and your assistants’ embarrassment.

“Y-Yes, Your Majesty!” they nod and quickly disappear.

You step down from the gazebo’s platform and notice Wu Fan is still standing in the same spot, staring down at his feet and blushing red.

“Well, come on, General,” you call with a laugh, “I have a summer heir to choose.”

Said General blinks a few times before coming to his senses and finding that you are already halfway across the bridge.

“Um, thank you,” Wu Fan says as he falls into step with you, "For giving me some piece of mind."

You suddenly jump on your toes and peck him on the cheek.

“No problem,” you giggle, noticing the pink hue starting to return to his cheeks.

You run as fast as you could while wearing heels and laughing into your hand. You throw occasional glances over your shoulder and laugh even harder when you find the Leaf Man staring after you, completely stunned. 

Wu Fan watches you for a moment, before shaking his head and chasing after you.