Midnight - Myungsoo

From Beginning to End

Something really quick that I literally just spent the last hour writing when I should be working on two essays that are due next week and studying for finals (college is killing me). Inspired by this and this song and the fact that the hotel in the background of the picture is on the cover of Owl City's Ocean Eyes album. Hope you all like it :) ~Admin Kelc

Waves break on the shore and saltwater climbs up the sand before retreating back to the ocean. The moon’s light reflects off the surface of the sea and illuminates the night.

You draw your knees up your chest, digging your feet into the cold sand. A shiver wracks through your body, a gust of wind whistling in your ears.

“Cold?”

You turn your head and your eyes meet Myungsoo’s. You shake your head and rest your chin on your knees, listening to the waves laugh as they collide with the sand.

Another breeze of wind blows, another shiver shakes your body, and you soon feel warm blazer drape over your bare shoulders.

You look over at the boy sitting next to you. He’s settling back into his spot, now only dressed in a black button up and slacks.

“Aren’t your shoes going to get ruined?” you eye his shiny dress shoes.

Myungsoo shrugs offhandedly and leans back on his hands. He tips his head towards you and gives you a playful grin, the grin that never fails to make your heart skip a beat.

You turn back towards the ocean and draw his jacket tighter around your body, hoping that he fails to see the pink coloring your cheeks.

But of course he doesn’t.

“How long can you stay tonight?” he asks as he casually plays with a strand of your hair.

“Not much longer,” you respond as you take note of the moon’s position in the sky, “A few hours, maybe?”

“Can’t you stay longer?”

“You know I can’t.”

He drops his hand back down onto the sand and you fall silent. The both of you breathe in the spray and listen to the whispers of the seaside wind.

“Don’t you ever wish that you could stay longer?” he asks, his voice barely above a murmur, “And maybe if you did, we could fall in love?”

You bite on your bottom lip and stare down at the skirt of your coral dress, watching it flow with every draft.

“That could never happen. Sirens don’t fall in love, Myungsoo.”

“Says who?” he challenges.

“Says nature.”

“Bull,” he mumbles as he stares out at the ocean.

You let out a sigh and grip at the inside of the blazer that’s resting over your shoulders.

“How do you know you’re not under the influence of my voice?” you whisper, “How you do you know that I’m not just seducing you and luring you to your death?”

“I don’t,” he says, “But I like to hope that all of your smiles and laughs are sincere and that I really do make you happy.”

You do.

“And honestly,” he continues, “it would really if the girl I had a crush on just flirted with me because she wanted to kill me.”

You scoff and shove him lightly as a fit of giggles escape his lips.

“I would never want to kill you,” you mumble.

A soft grin appears on Myungsoo’s lips and he gazes at you fondly. He scoots closer to you, placing one of his hands behind you on the sand, and hooks his chin over your shoulder. He presses his lips to your neck and buries his face in your hair, breathing in your scent.

You jump slightly but make no move to get away from him and you feel Myungsoo smile against your skin.

Hours feel like minutes, minutes like seconds.

“I have to go,” you murmur and begin to stand.

Myungsoo sighs like he always does when you say the four-worded sentence but helps you to your feet nonetheless.

You dust off the back of your dress and hand him his jacket. He accepts it reluctantly and you smile up at him softly. You jump onto your toes and quickly press your lips to his cheek. You give him another faint smile when you pull away and begin to walk towards the shoreline.

A hand catches your wrist and spins around.

“When can I see you again?” Myungsoo asks, a hint of desperation in his voice. 

You stare into his pleading eyes and your head does that weird stuttering thing again.

“Soon,” you answer, “Tomorrow? Midnight?”

He nods, beaming, before placing a lingering kiss on your forehead. You close your eyes for a moment, reveling in the warmth that only humans (or maybe just Myungsoo) can emit. You tip your head back when he pulls away and place your hand lightly against his cheek with your free hand.

You smile, and he smiles back, and you slowly free your wrist from his grip before walking into the rolling sea. You glance over your shoulder and Myungsoo is standing in the same spot, staring after you. He gives you a small wave, longing visible in his eyes. And you wave back before diving into the sea.