Phone Call

Second Chances

After you parted with JiMin and walked to the other side of the cafeteria to meet with ChunJi and his friends, your phone rang.

 

You took it out of your book bag and saw that the call was long distanced. You sighed, *It must be Appa.*

 

You left through the side door of the cafeteria and sat on a bench by the field.

 

“Hello?” You said, hesitating.

 

You were expecting the stern voice of your father, but the sweet tone of your older sister came through instead. “Unnie? Why are you calling?”

 

“What, I can’t?” She laughed.

 

You lowered your head, feeling ashamed, “Why? Is Appa still mad at me?”

 

“No, he let you go back to Seoul, didn’t he? If not, you’d be training to take over the family business now.”

 

You smiled meekly, “I guess. Do you have anything else to tell me? I’m at school.”

 

“Really? Why didn’t you tell me before?” she complained.

 

Before you could apologize, she continued, “I just wanted to remind you to not do any strenuous activities in school. Don’t make Appa worried and listen to ChunJi, he-”

 

“Unnie!” You exclaimed, sitting up abruptly. Your brows furrowed together as you remembered about your plans with ChunJi, “I have to go.”

 

“Did you even hear what I said?”

 

You stood up, fumbling to pick up your book bag while pressing your phone to your ears, “Yes, I’ll remember it well.”

 

You hung up and ran down the path to the door you left from. It opened up as you approached.

 

ChunJi stepped out and smiled when he saw you, “So you were here. A friend saw you run out.”

 

You blinked and averted your eyes. You felt bad that you couldn’t keep the promise you made with him, even if it was as simple as eating lunch.

 

He walked over and placed his hands on your shoulders. As if reading your mind, he said, “It’s alright. I’m not mad at you.”

 

“Mianhae, Unnie called.” You paused, “How can I make it up to you?”

 

ChunJi closed his eyes and thought about it, “Make me lunch tomorrow.”

 

“Fine, but I can’t promise you that I’d be sitting with you,” you teased, walking back into the school with him.