A New Friend

Second Chances

You entered the classroom of your next class. You lowered your head and greeted the teacher, then you scanned the filled seats for an empty one.

 

You had gotten a little lost in the building before, so when you got to class, the room was already packed.

 

“Sit over here! There’s an empty seat,” a voice said.

 

A cute girl had her arm outstretched once you got to her. You sat down at the desk next to hers and shook her hand.

 

She gave you a wide smile, “Nice to meet you. My name’s Park JiMin.”

 

“I’m ----.”

 

After class, there was a ten minute break. Your new friend turned to you and asked, “How has your first day been so far? Is it different from how it was in America?”

 

“It’s a little bit different, but not that much. And my day’s been good, thanks for asking,” you replied.

 

JiMin looked at you enviously, "I've always wanted to take a trip to America, but because of the stage, I haven't had time to travel."

 

You smiled, "It's okay. Once you've made it big, you'll be touring the whole world."

 

She laughed, "That's true. What are you planning to debut with?”

 

“Vocal.”

 

She gasped, “Me too! Let’s get along well."

 

You nodded. *She seems like a fun person to be around. Her personality is so bubbly,* you thought.

 

“Want to eat lunch together?” JiMin asked as she packed up her things.

 

You opened your mouth, about to accept her invitation. But before you could say anything, ChunJi popped into your head.

 

“It’s settled. We’re going to eat lunch together on your first day. ” He had said, in a demanding, but also begging tone.

 

You grinned as you thought about the way ChunJi had pleaded you. Even if you hadn't promised him, his resulting puppy eyes were hard to say no to.

 

“JiMin-ah, I promised a close friend of mine that I’d eat with him today. How about tomorrow?”

 

“Boyfriend?” she winked.

 

You shook your hand, “No, it’s not.”

 

“I don't believe you, but it’s fine. Just remember to leave your lunch time open for me tomorrow.”

 

The bell rang and you both walked to the cafeteria together.