chapter five

집 (Home)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Thankfully, Haesoo didn’t even hear a knock on her door that morning. It was already noon when she woke up. Luckily, she had her door locked. She didn’t want her father to see that she had gone to sleep in her school uniform and without showering. And she definitely didn’t want him to see the small bruise on her cheek.

Fortunately, it had sunk down a bit after many hours of sleep. She grabbed some comfy clothes and a towel and left her room for the shower.

After a quick and refreshing shower, though full of thought, she put on her clothes and dried her hair. She took the concealer she had brought along and spread it on her bruised area to cover the reddish color. She didn't know how her father would react to knowing she got slapped, but she wasn't about to find out. Luckily, Haesoo managed to cover it up well.

She went out of the shower with the towel on her head as she continued to dry her hair.

Haesoo halted when she saw her step-mother walking in her way. She quickly hid behind the wall nearby to see where she was going with the tray of food in hand.

Sonyeo knocked on the door of the son who Haesoo acknowledged was the nice one, somewhat, even after running away into his room twice like that.

“Your lunch is ready. Come out and get it~ I’m going out for a meeting with some friends! Take care!” She cheerfully said.

Cheerfully, indeed. But Haesoo couldn't miss the ominous mood behind the whole situation. Why was her step-mother delivering food like that to this guy's room? Why couldn't he have just gone down to take it? Why was he always hiding?

And with that, Sonyeo went down the stairs and disappeared. Curious, Haesoo approached the room and the tray of food. She got on her knees in front of the food and observed it.

There was a small portion of rice, chicken soup, kimchi, soaked vegetables, steamed chicken and two cups of drinks - a perfect meal that got her stomach growling.

And then, suddenly, to Haesoo’s shock, the owner of the room opened the door. She hurriedly got up but because she was rushing, she landed back on her on the floor.

An equally shocked-looking Jin was looking at her from above.

Panicking, the male quickly shut the door again, without grabbing his food.

"Oh no," Haesoo started as she scrambled onto her feet.

She knocked on the door and softly said. "Take your food. I'm sorry."

At that, not wanting to pursue further, knowing the temper of most of the boys in the house well enough already, Haesoo rushed away into her room.

Even if she was hungry, she didn’t exactly want to have a full meal. She couldn’t. Her body felt really emotionally and mentally drained and her chest continued to hurt. Even after the night’s sleep, the pain was still imminent. She knew she shouldn’t have pushed herself too hard. She had a very weak immune system and her mother had always reminded her not to strain herself. Yesterday was definitely one hell of a pain that had wasted a lot of her energy.

Clutching onto her chest, she supported her head using her other hand with her elbow resting on the railing of the balcony. That had become her favourite place in the house. She was always there whenever she was home, if not sleeping. She enjoyed the wind as she munched on the cereal bar that she took from her snack stash.

Suddenly, surprising her, her cellphone started ringing.

She felt for it in her pocket and pulled it out. It was her grandmother. She eagerly pressed “answer” but as she was about to greet her grandmother, she felt the feeling of sadness and homesickness taking over her body. She struggled to utter the name she’s been yearning to call out.

“Haesoo-yah?” the lady over the phone cooed. “How are you darling?”

“Halmeoni,” she managed without a crack.

Then it felt like all the breath came back in her body and she could breathe normally again. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She blew the breath out and took another one to relax.

“Are you alright, dear?”

After she was sure she felt okay, she nodded even if her grandmother couldn’t see it, “I’m perfectly fine, halmeoni. I’m doing okay. What about you?”

The cereal bar was forgotten in her hand.

“Same here.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter