chapter seventeen

집 (Home)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

My feet sank into the sand with every step I took. The moment the cars parked itself at the parking lot, Jeongguk, Taehyung, and I rushed to the seaside.

The night before had indeed been very rough. The following morning, I had woken up with a terrible headache but thankfully, the adults didn’t figure out that we had been drinking the night before. Minhyuk expertly told them that we had simply went out for a walk and arrived home really late. I wouldn’t have known otherwise but I found out that we had actually cycled home through a really windy brewing storm. I couldn’t remember anything at all, though. I only had faint memories from the night before.

Arms wide, I closed my eyes to feel my surroundings. The sound of children’s laughter, the waves and the birds filled my ears. The gusty and breezy wind caressed my cheekbones and I landed on the soft sand.

I raised my arms and placed them under my head as I took in the beautiful scenery. My sunglasses protected my eyes from the bright sun. Wearing a pair of knee-length shorts and a white muscle tank over a black wife beater, my skin was exposed to the sun that warmed up my usually cold body. I smiled, getting comfortable.

I sat upright and crossed my legs, watching random people playing in the blue water.

I turned to my right to see what the others were up to and I saw Jeongguk and Taehyung playing in the water. Jeongguk was shirtless and I had to admit that for a teenager, he had a nice build. A sort of pride rose within me as I realized that I had the brothers that other people wish they had. I could overlook how we didn’t even treat other as much as friends if it meant that I had at least one thing that other people wanted. Cringe. Or not, really.

I looked over at Minhyuk who was throwing sand at Jimin who had a video camera in his hand.

“Stop it! Go away!” Minhyuk complained and kept trying to bury Jimin’s feet in the sand.

Unknowingly, a smile grew on my face and I looked over at the rest of the family. They were all seated on the beach mat we’d brought along. Sonyeo, my father, and Hwayoung’s husband were busy at the barbecue pit trying to cook the food prepared by Hwayoung.

It didn’t matter if Sonyeo and Hwayoung’s husband kept giving bad looks at each other. It didn’t matter if I was the only one all alone. All of us looked like a happy, complete family for once.

Although, secretly, there was this feeling within me that was relieved there wasn’t a lonely-looking female outsider in view - me. That would’ve ruined the picture I currently greatly enjoyed.

The smile on my face never wavered, even when I looked back at where Jimin and Minhyuk was and I had noticed that Jimin’s camera was now on me.

Minhyuk was sleeping on the sand behind him. Everyone was oblivious to the rare sight of any one of the brothers actually making the effort to make any contact with me. But there he was, filming me who kept on smiling and staring at him, confused.

Slowly, he walked towards me with small steps, as if carefully zooming in like a professional cameraman.

He was almost here, about two meters away. But his approach was interrupted when a huge wave swept over my lower half. Some of the water wet my face and my hair and I sat there, stunned.

Then, there was laughter from my left and I turned away from Jimin.

Jeongguk was doubling over with laughter, while Taehyung was staring at my state, amused.

“HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! DID YOU SEE THAT? HAHAHAHAHA!!!” Jeongguk laughed harder.

Then I heard laughter from my right and I realized it was Jimin. And then it hit me how he had caught all that on tape.

Even so, I didn’t find myself getting angry like I normally would’ve. Instead, I laughed heartily along, hastily moving away from the seaside so I wouldn’t get any wetter. My efforts were for nothing as Minhyuk appeared behind Jimin and pulled me into the sea.

Eventually, Jeongguk, Taehyung, Minhyuk, and I were swimming in the sea and having the time of our lives. Jimin was filming us and from afar, I could see the ha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter