chapter eighteen

집 (Home)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Friday came. It was 6.30pm. I had just finish my assignments. I dumped all my books in my locker and left the already empty school. My phone beeped against my thigh in my pocket.

Wait at the back of the school.

I sighed and walked to the back of the school.

We were given tons of work that day and I decided that I wasn’t about to waste time over the weekends completing it. And I couldn’t do it that night either since I had plans. So, I found myself staying at school to finish everything. Time moved faster than I had anticipated and I ended up staying really late so I texted my father to pick me up.

Then, there I was, heading for the back of the school where my father said was the most convenient to pick and drop me at. It was, however, very empty and secluded.

It was getting darker by the minute and my sources of light were the lamp posts that were rather dim too. I pushed any bad thoughts away, confident that my father would arrive soon and I would be fine.

However, when I heard weird noises as I was about to turn to my left at the corner, my feet stopped moving and I paused. I held my breath as a familiar pain shot at my chest. How bad could the timing be.

There were groans and the sounds of kicks and punches and I knew there had to be a fight going on. I don’t know what got into me but I leaned over to peek at the scene, scared as I was in pain.

There were four unfamiliar boys wearing the school’s uniform beating another very familiar boy. He was on the sidewalk, against the brick wall. Every time he tried to push himself up, one of the boys would push him down again with their feet.

I was about to flee from the scene when I realized the boy getting beaten up was none other than Jeongguk. My left hand flew to my lips as I held back the gasp. He was covering his face and they were kicking mostly at his abdomen but I knew it was him.

I realized that I couldn’t walk away. No matter how much hatred I buried for Jeongguk and the brothers, for their mother, I couldn’t walk away. It was more than a conscience telling me to do something. It was something inside my heart.

Another pain shot at my heart and I realized there was only so much I could do.

I stuck my hand into my bag, searching for something that could help at all and I managed to pull out the party poppers Yoongi had passed to Nara to give to me. It might not work but it was the best I could do.

I took another look at the group before I pulled three party poppers at once.

“What the !” one of them said, turning at where I was standing.

I quickly hid behind the corner and pulled out more party poppers from the packet. This time, there were four. I held them properly and pulled all of them at once.

“You think that's funny? What about you show your face?" one of them hollered.

I had thought that the party poppers would scare them away but now I had then realised how it was only bringing all the attention to me. Sometimes, I get really stupid.

I lowered my head, letting my hair cover my face, before I slowly walked out of my hiding spot, shivering.

“Who the are you?” the tallest one barked at me with his deep voice.

The one with the small but sharp eyes smirked, “Aren’t you Suga’s new ?”

“I’m nobody's ,” I muttered, subconsciously.

But they heard it.

“What did you say?” the shortest one raised his voice and I knew I had made a grave mistake.

I should’ve just called for the police. Then, I spotted my father’s car coming from the road next to the sidewalk.

“Hyung!” the other guy called. “Someone’s coming!”

They started backing away, each and every one of them giving a few more kicks at Jeongguk. Then, with one last glance, they left.

I heaved a sigh of relief before falling against the wall, my hand clutching at my chest. I tried beating my chest to get rid of the pain but to no avail.

My father stopped his car and seeing our condition, he put Jeongguk at the back and me at the front seat before driving home. I didn’t know if he said anything because my hearing was starting to get worse as well as my vision. Sweat dripped at the sides of my face yet I felt very cold. Someone shook my side but I just looked away and tried to catch my breath.

And then, my vision and hearing returned back to normal and I felt warm again. The pain at my heart became faint and I could breathe norma

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter