chapter twenty-two

집 (Home)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was morning again and I was getting up for school. My body felt heavy but there was a unique shine to the day. And I knew why the day was different. It was better; better because things were better between Yoongi and me again. The world seemed so much easier to appreciate.

The routine was the same, taking my breakfast and munching on it in the porch.

I watched as the three brothers walked by me without a word. My eyes travelled to the balcony where the other brother always was and like any other day, he was standing there, watching the sky. It felt like things never changed, like we were still strangers from the very first day, even after the night we had together during the vacation. It was almost forgotten.

There obviously wasn’t any more effort being put into mending the strained relationship we had with each other.

I knew I wanted things to be better. But at the same time, I didn’t. Maybe I just needed something to blame.

I sighed and finished my sandwich. I hopped into the car, turning on my favourite playlist. I closed my eyes and leaned my head against the window, waiting for my father to send me to school. There were new songs released, and for some reason that I wasn’t entirely sure about, it felt like déjà vu listening to it, like I knew the tune from somewhere yet I couldn’t point where.

***

The first thing that greeted me in school was a hug from Yoongi. I saw no sign of Nara that day and honestly, things were going great. I managed to avoid Yookwon in the morning. However, my joy came crashing down in class when I had found out my partner for the Korean Literature project that had been assigned.

I really wanted things to be better. But at the same time, I didn’t.

I guess Taehyung felt the same, because there was that familiar roll of the eye that I received. Whispers were heard, but they were shut up quickly by the teacher who explained that since the both of us saw each other every day at home, it would be easier to work together, and far more comfortable. If only she knew how truly uncomfortable we were.

After school, as I packed my bag, a shadow loomed over me.

“Yah,” said the cold, distant voice.

I looked up with a questioning gaze.

“I honestly rather not do this at home, but it sounds better than some random café. However, I kind of have a thing today until, say, 5, so we’ll start working when I reach home.”

I thought for a while. “Can’t you shorten your ‘thing’?”

The familiar roll of the eyes again. “No.”

Taehyung turned around at his last word and stalked out of the room. I pursed my lips, storing away the words I wanted so bad to say to him.

***

I was wandering around the shopping area where I lived, taking in my surroundings so I could understand the place better. I was exploring in the attempt of finding a nice place to go to when I didn’t have plans someday. Maybe I could bring Yoongi, but I was on the look for a place I could be alone at. Since the non-talking period with Yoongi, I had realized it was going to be impossible that he was by my side forever. He was going to come and go and I had to create replacements in those cases.

I found a nice, homey-looking diner about half an hour of walking. It was around the corner and there weren’t many people around. I took a seat at the table at the end where I was right next to the glass window so I could see the outside. There weren’t any two-seat tables left so I had to sit in the four-seat tables. And I’d much rather not sit at the bar since most of the people there were drinking. I was hungry, and when there was a chance to avoid dinner at home, I’d jump for it. There was an hour left to 5 so I had to hurry in case I met with circumstances like getting lost in the area.

A short, petite female walked over to my table with a cheerful smile in her yellow uniform dress.

“What’d you like to order?” her deep voice asked me.

Her voice didn’t match her looks at all. While everything about her seemed soft: the make-up, the loose ponytail, the skinny, weightless body, her voice was deeper than I would’ve expected it to be.

She giggled huskily and I couldn’t help but admire her unique beauty. She had a vibe to her, a good one.

“I- um,” I paused, realizing I hadn’t taken a look at the menu on my table. “Give me just one minute.”

“Take your time,” she said.

I stared at the menu, looking at all the meals and combos. I hated fish, so the fish and chips were out of the picture. None of the meat looked appetizing at that moment either so I settled on something sweet.

“Could you.. just give me a waffle or something?”

“Right, but which one?”

I looked at the menu again, unsure. “Just.. give me

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter