chapter three

집 (Home)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Here's everything you're going to need - your locker, timetable and PE uniform," the woman behind the desk said as she placed the said things in front of Haesoo.

Nervousness didn't begin to cover the unsettling feeling in Haesoo's chest as she looked down to her feet and nodded, taking the items.

The thought of meeting new people and wondering how they would treat her after that evoked a sense of bleak uncertainty for Haesoo. She wondered if they would be as disgusted as her brothers - those who gave her looks she never saw before. Hatred wasn't all there was to it.

“That is Jun haksaeng,” the woman pointed to the girl behind her and Haesoo turned to see who it was. “She is a student leader and she'll be there to guide you for the first two weeks. She's reliable, don't worry. Just relax a little and try to have fun, kid. Don’t be so nervous.”

At the last sentence, the woman winked and continued with her paperwork. Those words were well-meaning indeed, but not in the slightest bit helpful. Haesoo gulped and got up to approach the girl who immediately eyed her down.

The girl looked back up to Haesoo’s face and she grinned, “Hey. My name is Park Junhee but just call me Jun, aight? You are?"

"Kim Haesoo..." she mumbled back.

“Haesoo, was it? Hey, are you nervous? You're mumbling over your words.” Jun laughed.

“Come on, chill a bit. I'll bring you around school while we still have time,” Jun told her and guided the girl out of the office, slinging her arm around Haesoo’s shoulders.

Jun led her out of the office as they walked down the crowded hallway. Haesoo saw some girls look at her and quickly ran away.

Jun paused from her little chatter and assessed the situation for Haesoo, “They’re from our class. They’re probably just going to tell our class about the new student. They get excited easy."

New. Haesoo was getting sick of the word. New family, new brothers, new addition, new mother, new school, new friends, new student. Everything was new - unrecognisable. It was scary. Change was scary.

“You're a shy girl, I suppose?” Jun asked, curious.

“Well, I guess I don’t talk much,” Haesoo softly said, her voice now with a tad bit more conviction after getting used to Jun’s comforting presence.

“I thought so. Heh. I bet the boys would like you. You’re not drop dead gorgeous or anything, but you’ve got this charm. Has anyone ever told you you've got the prettiest ponytail ever? Not anyone can pull off this messy style,” Jun continued talking.

Haesoo had found herself nodding in response although not really focusing on what Jun had rambled on and on about as they made their way to her new class.

Again, new.

It was getting really tiring.

***

The moment she stepped into the class, everyone hushed up. Haesoo looked up at everyone and felt her heart palpitating again. They stared her in curiosity, and something else. There was an odd look on everyone's faces, racking up the nervous meter even more.

Haesoo’s heart nearly fell when she noticed a familiar person near the back of the class. When he looked back at her, he made a face and looked away in irritation. Taehyung must’ve really wanted to avoid her. Haesoo thought it’d be best to pretend she didn’t know him and just look down to her feet.

“Hey, hey. Welcome her, guys! This is our new classmate I was telling you about yesterday. Her name’s Kim Haesoo and she transferred from Busan! Clap for her, come on!” Jun told the class but they remained silent, a reaction Haesoo certainly didn't expect, even after all the scenarios of not getting accepted playing on her mind the entire night.

Haesoo’s cheeks flared up in embarrassment.

“Hey, you guys are so mean. I thought we were a welcoming bunch!” Jun told them, looking betrayed.

But none of them moved, simply staring at the two with a face that showed some.. disgust?

It was so unexpected that even Taehyung found himself looking around with confusion. Something was off about the class that was never usually that silent.

A girl sitting right in front gestured at Jun to come closer to her and Jun did as told. With her eyes set on Haesoo, she whispered to Jun. Haesoo gulped at the glare the girl was giving her. Upon hearing whatever the girl had said, Jun turned to her with a really, really shocked look, almost as if she had discovered some dark secret of hers then turning on her for it. In fact, it felt like the entire class was against her, all eyes on her and judging her head to toe.

Haesoo was utterly taken aback. The girl had no idea how to react to the whole situation. She found herself faltering a step back, the silence almost enveloping her while tears threatened to spill.

“W-what..” her lips quivered.

This was a social situation she never thought she wo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter