chapter sixteen

집 (Home)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The hunched back, the loosely hanging hair, the dejected posture, he watched.

I didn’t know then but he was watching me all along. His eyes didn’t look at me all the time but his soul did. It was watching over me, on a lookout for oncoming danger. But I never saw it. Not once did I spot it.

I was close to falling asleep, only a minimum amount of consciousness still present. Arms wrapped around me, holding me close. They were arms that were familiar, as if I’ve been in them before. It felt like… the arms at the basketball match during Gym the last time when I fainted. It then hit me how they had to be the same ones.

I had thought all along that it was Yoongi who brought me to the nurse, that he was the one who had been there for me. Just like the day I got dumped with soup. Just like the day I got physically attacked. But, what would Yoongi be doing in the Jungs’ territory? He would be kicked out right away.

The arms picked me up and I lied in them, eyes still closed. We started moving but I didn’t know where to.

I tried opening my eyes to see for myself who this mystery guy was but my eyes defied my mind. It was heavy. It was asleep. But my mind wasn’t. I knew it wasn’t, because I could hear low and clear.

There was the faint sound of another set of footsteps and suddenly we weren’t moving anymore. I felt us fly to the side and I heard his heart beats pick up speed. His chest was rising and falling at a faster rate too. He was nervous, I could feel it.

When the footsteps stopped, I felt his exhale of relief against my cheek. Whoever that had been walking past must've cleared out.

We started moving again and there was the sound of the doorknob being opened. The next thing I knew, I was placed on a soft and bouncy surface. I figured it was a bed. My eyes still refused to cooperate with me but I had stopped trying.

Soft lips, however, planted itself on my forehead.

And then, there was a soft whisper, “Good night…”

I didn’t hear anything anymore after that.

***

The next morning came pretty quickly. The morning sunlight welcomed my tired eyes and I rubbed them, shaking myself off my sleepy state.

A half an hour later, I was at the breakfast table, having breakfast with the rest of the Jungs.

“Toast, dear?” Jenni imo asked.

I nodded and took it from her. I took a bite and I sighed in content at the sweet taste of butter and sugar melting on my tongue. Slowly, more members filled the long dining table, each taking a piece of toast or a bowl of cereal. Jimin sat directly in front of me and we shared a short but intense eye contact before he looked away to reach for the milk.

I furrowed my eyebrows at the weirdness but I didn’t question and quietly ate my toast.

And then, an unidentified person sat on the seat next to mine. While I didn’t take any notice at first, it dawned on me how the only teenage boys in this family were my brothers. Yet the three of them were sat right in front of me. So who could this other teenage boy next to me be?

I slowly looked up to see the face. It was a young man, about the age of 20. He was pouring milk into his cereal. After it was filled enough, he placed the milk back on the table and started eating his food. I didn’t notice it but I was staring at his face quite intently. I only realized that when he looked up with a questioning look.

I blinked back and snapped out of my trance.

“Sorry,” I meekly apologized and continued eating my toast, turning away.

“It’s alright,” he chuckled and took another bite from his cereal.

“You’re Haesoo right? Ari imo’s new daughter?” he asked.

Without looking at him, I nodded, “Yeah.”

“Well, it’s nice meeting you. My name is Minhyuk, Hwayoung imo’s son,” he told me.

“I see,” I replied, not knowing what else to say.

It was silent again between the both of us. The only things that could be heard were munching and the sound of spoon clinking against the plate.

I didn’t know what got into me but I managed to muster enough courage to ask him, “So… were you here last night? I don't remember seeing you.”

He laughed softly, “I was working. It’s my new job and all so… you know, it wasn’t appropriate for a day off yet. The shop’s closed for today and tomorrow though because the owner is going on a really short vacation so I was able to come for the remaining days. Arrived really late last night.”

Oh, he was working? So he wasn't a teenager?

“Yeah? What do you work as?”

“Mechanic.”

“That’s cool. So.. you fix.. cars?” I awkwardly questioned.

I honestly didn’t know what to say anymore.

But he laughed, “Not really. We fix motorcycles.”

“Ah, interesting.”

A few seconds later, he was already done with his cereal. He wiped his lips with a piece of tissue and left the table, not without smiling at me.

I just nodded and ate the remaining part of my toast.

***

The older people were indoors, drinking tea and catching up with each other. I found out that the whole family wasn’t too bonded as each daughter stayed in different areas. The younger generation didn’t feel too comfortable joining their session so all 5 were spreaded out in different areas of the villa.

Jimin was at the bridge I was at the previous night, sitting against the railing as he types away at his laptop. Taehyung was with his camera and art materials on the other end of the pond, snapping pictures and painting them. Jeongguk was playing games on his PSP on a bench on the other side of the villa.

I didn’t know where Minhyuk was but I was alone on the hill nearby, listening to my music. My favourite soundcloud user had once again posted a new track and I was thrilled to hear it was the exact same track Jimin was listening to that I couldn’t figure out. It seemed

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter