Chapter 15

Bodyguard

Hi people. Sorry for the wait. You'll probably hate me for posting this after making you wait so long. Sorry XD

There's more on the way, I just wanted to get this part up now so.....

I would say enjoy but...

<3 Leave a comment and feel free to rant at me if it makes you feel better :)


 

TWO MONTHS LATER

“Kris, get up!” I groan in frustration. We’d planned to meet his mother at 1pm today and it’s currently midday. I’d expected him to be up before me but when I came in after doing my work out, he’d still been in bed. I’ve been trying to wake him for a while now but either he’s out cold or he just doesn’t want to get up. I knew I shouldn’t have let him have that much wine last night.

I clamber onto the bed to get closer, and shake him in an attempt to jolt him into consciousness. “Kris, damn it, wake up.”

Finally there’s a sign of life, and I hear him mumble something, but he still doesn’t move. I’ve just started moving backwards off the bed to go get some water to pour on his face, when a hand shoots out and pulls me forward onto my stomach next to him. He wraps a hand around my waist, trapping me there, and snuggles down again.

I try to ignore the butterflies in my stomach and the blush I can feel spreading on my cheeks, and roll my eyes at his sleepy actions.

“Damn it Kris, we need to meet your mother in like,” I glance at the clock, “forty five minutes and you’re not even out of bed yet.”

He groans in protest and rolls onto his back, but refuses to move. I frown in annoyance, “this is the last time I let you get drunk, seriously,” and in a moment of boldness I straddle him on the bed. I can feel him tense up, obviously wondering what I’m doing, and as I watch a blush bloom on his cheeks, I reach down to his ribs and place my hands there. “If you don’t get up now I’m going to torture you until you surrender.”

His voice is husky with tiredness when he replies, “Yeah, and how are you going to do that?”

I smirk, secretly pleased that I’m kind of getting permission to do this, and run my fingers lightly over his ribs, watching his reaction. He lets out a breathy laugh and raises his eyes to meet mine in disbelief and that’s when I start the attack. He squirms under me as I tickle him unrelentingly, whilst trying to ignore the fact that he is actually squirming under me, and pushing away the thoughts that that creates.

“Ok, ok,” he eventually gasps through his laughter, “I’ll get up, just please stop.”

I grin in triumph and move to get off him, when he grips my shoulders, keeping me in place. He pulls me down so my face is close to his. My breath hitches and my eyes widen at the close proximity, observing the blush on his cheeks, but I watch as his eyes narrow and he says, “I will get my revenge.”

I feel a smirk form on my face and let out a chuckle, “you tell yourself that Kris.”

He mutters to himself before releasing me and watching me get off the bed.

“Get up, or we’ll be late” I say as I head out to the kitchen. I glance back at him, meeting his eyes and enjoying the sight of him flushed and ruffled in bed, before closing the door behind me.

I’m already dressed, so I head to the kitchen to make a small breakfast seeing as we’re meeting his mother then going with her for a late lunch. I’m nervous about meeting her, but there’s not much that can go wrong really; it’s not as if I’m being introduced as Kris’s boyfriend, I’m just his bodyguard.

Its twenty minutes before Kris walks in, drying his wet hair on a towel whilst trying to do his tie at the same time. I roll my eyes at his antics and hand him some cereal, smirking as he fumbles to hold the towel and tie and bowl at once. “Eat quickly, we need to leave soon,” I say, and he takes the food, glaring and muttering something about me being a nagging wife.

I grin. “You love it really,” I say before heading to my room to grab my phone and wallet.

When we finally leave, with only ten minutes to go, I force Kris away from the driver’s side with a gentle shove, saying “there’s no way you’re driving after all the alcohol you had last night, no way.”

He sighs before handing me the keys and heading round to the passenger seat. I climb in and start the engine.

We eventually arrive at a car park two streets away from the restaurant, and I reach back to grab my jacket from the back seat as Kris gets out. He waits for me but I motion for him to go on ahead as I shrug on my jacket and lock the car.

He’s about four metres ahead of me, stepping onto the road, when I see it; a small car with black tinted windows is slowly cruising along the street towards us. The moment Kris steps onto the road the driver slams on the accelerator and speeds towards him.

My eyes widen in shock as fear takes over, “Kris!” I call out, running towards him, but he doesn’t hear me, instead reaching to answer his phone which rings at that moment as he crosses the road. I speed up, yelling out again and this time he seems to hear me. He turns to glance back at me, the phone at his ear as he speaks, but twisting the wrong way so he still doesn’t see the oncoming car.

I see his eyes widen when he sees me running towards him. That’s when he hears the car. He turns his head towards it, but by then it’s too late for him to move. I reach out, slamming my hands into him and sending him flying.

I feel something smash into me and the air rushes out of my lungs, leaving me unable to cry out as pain spreads through my body. I’m sent flying through the air and I collide with a parked car before tumbling to the ground. I let out a groan of pain as I manage to pull some air into my lungs. I feel tears blurring my vision as every breath hurts, and I taste blood. Somewhere in my confused state I guess that I’ve broken a rib or two among other things.

I hear someone scream my name, and seconds later I see Kris’s panicked face hovering over me. He’s fumbling with his phone and I hear him asking for an ambulance, fear evident in his voice.

“Kris,” I manage to say, “go, you’re not safe.”

His attention leaves the phone and snaps back to me, “the car’s gone and I’m not leaving you.” He says with his voice thick with emotion.

I can feel my mind going fuzzy and my eyes flutter as I struggle to keep them open.

“No, Tao, stay with me,” I hear the terror in his voice as my strength is fading, and manage to raise my right arm, the one that only feels bruised and cut, and touch his cheek as I watch tears forming in his eyes. He reaches his hand up to gently cover mine, and through the sound of approaching sirens, I hear him whisper my name brokenly.

“Don’t cry,” I whisper.

The last thing I see before I slip into unconsciousness is the tear that slowly slips down his cheek.

 

Kris’s POV

I get in the ambulance with Tao, refusing to leave his side. I watch in a state of shock as the paramedics busy themselves with him, trying to reduce the blood loss and putting him on a supply of oxygen. I feel something inside me break as I stare at his broken body, with no sign of life other than the weak rise and fall of his chest.

I can’t lose him. He’s the one who’s made me change.

It takes twenty minutes for me to break through my shock, and I fumble for Tao’s phone as I wait for him to get out of surgery. I flick through the numbers and put the phone to my ear.

“Hey Tao, what’s up?” I hear.

I clear my throat, “it’s not Tao, it’s Kris.”

“Kris? What do you want? Where’s Tao?”

I fight back the lump in my throat and force the words out, “I’m at the hospital. It’s Tao; he was hit by a car.”

I hear Baekhyun’s sharp intake of breath and his panicked movement, “I’m coming, I’ll be there as soon as I can. Have you called his parents?”

I lean back in the hard plastic seat, “my mother did, but they’re in the UK at the moment and won’t get here for a while.”

“Ok, I’m on my way.”

 

I’m sitting by Tao’s bedside, not even bothering to fight the tears anymore, when I hear the door open. I turn slowly, feeling exhausted from all this emotional strain, and see Baekhyun entering with several people behind him. I turn away momentarily, wiping my eyes, before watching them come in.

Baekhyun heads straight to Tao’s side, tears forming in his eyes when he sees how damaged he is.

I meet Jongin’s eyes, watching as he wraps his arms comfortingly around Kyungsoo’s waist and I attempt a smile. I can tell by Jongin’s face that I didn’t succeed but I think he decides to put our rocky past behind us as he walks them over and stops beside me. He puts a hand on my shoulder and I realise I must look like a total wreck right now for him to be acting this way after I’d let him get pushed away for dating Kyungsoo.

Luhan arrives with Sehun about fifteen minutes later, and after he stops crying, he informs us that Chen and Joonmyun aren’t in the country right now and want us to keep them posted through texts and calls.

I can’t stop the tears forming in my eyes as I describe what happened. As I’d fallen back after Tao had pushed me out of the way of the car, I’d watched as the car had crashed into him, sending him flying. My mother had turned up just before the ambulance arrived. She’d phoned asking whether we were going to be late and I’d just told her where we were when everything had happened. Apparently she’d heard what had happened through the phone. She’d been in tears when she’d arrived, having thought that I’d been hit.

I swipe at my eyes, pushing away the tears and turn as someone else enters. It’s a nurse.

“He’s going to be ok right?” I ask, feeling useless as I watch her fiddling with the drips that are attached to his arms, and checking the machines.

“He’s stable; however we’re unsure when he will wake up. He’s broken an arm and a rib, fractured another rib, sprained his ankle, sustained severe bruising on his legs and arms and he has minor injuries to his head. He was lucky to only receive spinal bruising and no permanent damage has been done that could threaten paralysis. So far, we think he will be ok; however you can’t ever be certain in a case such as this. Don’t lose hope.”

I nod, subconsciously reaching out to grasp his hand as she leaves. “This is my fault,” I whisper as I turn back to him, “I’m so sorry.” I gaze at him, as though we’re alone in here together, and reach out. I brush his hair gently off his forehead and blink back fresh tears as I see more cuts there too.

His face is so pale and there are black rings under his eyes, probably induced by the physical trauma.

I feel a hand on my shoulder, and turn to see Baekhyun there. I lean back, but refuse to relinquish my hold on his hand. “Don’t blame yourself Kris,” he says, “Tao knew what he was doing and he’s strong. He’ll be ok.”

I nod, not really accepting this, but grateful for the encouragement, especially as it’s coming from Baekhyun, who’s Tao’s best friend and could use this as another excuse to hate me even more.

Several hours later, a doctor comes in and tells us that only two people can stay here overnight. He ignores our complaints, obviously having experienced this regularly, and in the end it’s just Baekhyun and I who stay. The other’s head back to Sehun’s apartment which is the closest to the hospital, and once the doctor has left, Baekhyun heads out for a moment to sneak in some food for us.

I feel anger suddenly bubble up inside me and I snatch up my phone, flicking to the contacts and calling my father. He’s obviously been expecting me to call and answers after the second ring. “Yifan, are you alright? How’s Zitao?”

“I’m fine. He’s stable, but we don’t know when he’ll wake up. He’s really hurt Dad, we have to find the people who did this and make them pay.”

“I know, I’ve already got people working on it. It’s going to take time though; the car that tried to run you down had a fake number plate so it will be difficult to trace its origin. I’ve just requested to question the man who attacked you a few months back. It’s likely that he was working for the people who organised this attack, so I’ve sent someone to try and get more information out of him.”

I let out a sigh, watching Tao’s unmoving form lying on the bed. He’s dressed in a hospital gown now, having had his clothes cut off him I expect, and I can see the scrapes on his arm, the one that’s not in a cast, from when he’d hit the ground. I run my finger gently over his hand, glaring at the cuts that cover his fingers as I listen to my Dad speaking on the phone.

Just after I hang up, a nurse comes in and offers me a blanket, clearly accepting that I’m staying here all night. I accept it and ask for some water, suddenly realising how thirsty I am after all this crying. After drinking it, I take Tao’s hand again, staring at his face and willing him to open his eyes.

Baekhyun arrives a few minutes later and forces me to eat some food. I choke down what I can but to be honest I’ve lost my appetite. I fall asleep with Tao’s face imprinted in my mind and sleep fitfully, my dreams replaying the sight of that car slamming into Tao, over and over.

 

Three nights later I’m alone with Tao again, only having left him to go to the bathroom and when my mother had come by and forced me to take a shower and change my clothes. Baekhyun has gone home for tonight after making me promise to call him if anything changes, because his parents had demanded to see him, claiming it was unhealthy for him to stay in the hospital so long.

My mother had tried the same thing, but after seeing the expression on my face she’d not suggested it again. She obviously guesses something, but surprisingly she’s not said anything, only visited to provide some comfort.

I’m relieved to have a night alone with him, having been slightly uncomfortable with Baekhyun’s presence, convinced that he still hates me.

I’m so used to the regular bleeping of the heart monitor, that the moment there’s a slight change my head snaps up to watch him.

“Tao?” I murmur, leaning forward and touching his cheek gently. His heart rate increases slightly and I feel his hand twitch in mine. I reach over, slamming my hand against the nurse call button before focusing my attention solely on him.

His mouth opens slightly as he turns his head, letting out a small groan of discomfort.

“Tao?” I try again.

“Kris,” he rasps out. I feel tears spring into my eyes and reach over to grab some water. I shove a straw in after a moment contemplating how to give him some without spilling it on his bandages. I place the straw gently in his mouth, saying, “Tao, have some water.”

He sips some obediently but doesn’t take too much, probably afraid of making himself sick after living on nutrients from a drip for several days. A nurse comes rushing in and checks the machines. After about ten minutes of fussing, she leaves, instructing me to inform her if anything happens.

I let out a sigh when she’s gone, and turn back to Tao. He still hasn’t opened his eyes so I reach out with my free hand and his cheek gently, running my fingers over the bruise there. He lets out a sigh at the contact, and I feel something bloom inside me as I finally get to see his beautiful dark eyes open; he blinks up at me for a moment before a small smile forms on his face.

I throw all restraint out of the window and lean forward, placing a gentle kiss on his lips. I feel him tense up, and suddenly realise that I’ve not thought about how he feels, before he pushes his lips back against mine and I stop my momentary mental panic. I smile against his lips before pulling back slightly and gazing down at him.

He traces his eyes over my face before saying “you look terrible.” I let out a soft laugh before replying, “that’s rich coming from you.”

He smirks up at me, and I roll my eyes gently, amazed that he can still act this way in his condition, and blaming it on the pain killing drugs he’s on. I listen to him as he rambles for a moment about how I’ve obviously not shaved or slept properly for a while. I lean forward, kissing him again.

“Shut up,” I say against his lips and I feel him smirking against me.

I pull back and turn when I hear someone clearing their throat from the doorway.

“Well this explains a lot.”

I feel Tao tense up and I stand, facing Chanyeol and blocking his path to Tao. “What do you want Chanyeol?” I growl out, suddenly filled with anger that he’d come here when Tao is in such a bad state and after he’d hurt him the last time they’d met.

“I came to see you. There are rumours spreading about you two. People are speculating about why you reacted so emotionally when Tao was hurt, and why you haven’t left the hospital yet.”

“I don’t care what people think as long as they stay away from us.”

“Ah, but that’s the problem. There are even reporters outside now, waiting for you to leave. They've been trying to get in but the doctors won't allow it. You’re the heir of the biggest Chinese company in Korea, everyone is interested in you, even more so after this.”

“I don’t care; I’ll get them sent away.”

“You have to leave here Kris; it’s not worth all this scandal over a bodyguard.”

I feel anger bubbling inside me, “Tao is not just a bodyguard, he-”

Before I can finish my sentence, my words stop in shock as I watch Chanyeol suddenly stagger backwards out of the door. It slams shut behind him and I stare for a moment before turning back to Tao in confusion.

 

Chanyeol’s POV

I’m feeling frustrated now. Kris is my friend and if he decides to stand by Tao he’ll suffer so much trouble at the hands of his business associates. His business will suffer and I don’t know if he’s strong enough to survive through all the scandal.

“You have to leave here Kris; it’s not worth all this scandal over a bodyguard.”

I see anger flashing in Kris’s eyes, “Tao is not just a bodyguard, he-”

I don’t get to hear the end of his sentence as I feel a hand grab me from behind and I’m yanked out through the door. I let out a gasp as I’m shoved up against a wall and I look down to see a very angry guy staring up at me.

“You shut up Park Chanyeol. You’ve caused enough trouble for Tao, just let them be happy.”

I glare down at him before growling back, “it’s Baekhyun right?” I recognise him as one of Tao’s friends from Uni and he nods. “Well for your information, I happen to be Kris’s friend and I won’t stand by and see him get ruined because of some stupid crush on his bodyguard.”

He leans up at me, glaring and I notice how feminine his face is. “Whatever, I don’t care what your reasoning is, just stay away from them. They’re strong enough to work through this, just give them a chance.”

 

Baekhyun’s POV

I glare up at him, waiting for his response. When he starts pushing me away I know what I’ve said hasn’t worked, so I grab him, dragging him with me along the corridor. He’s stronger than me, but gives up when I go into mode. He’s obviously not accustomed to people standing up to him and he looks slightly overwhelmed at how forceful I’m being.

I take him out the back of the hospital, hoping to avoid the reporters. “Where’s your car?” I demand.

He just stares at me for a moment before mutely pointing. “Keys,” I say, holding out my hand.

He takes his keys out, but doesn’t hand them over, obviously regaining some sense again. “Why should I give them to you?” he asks.

I glance behind him and see a load of reporters heading around the corner of the building. I frown, before deciding they’re far enough away. I lash out, grabbing his wrist before twisting and then snatching the keys out of his hands. He hisses in pain, and gapes at me as I head off towards his car.

I gesture behind him at the approaching reporters and he cringes before grumbling and following after me. I climb in the driver’s seat, appreciating how nice the car is. Chanyeol climbs in next to me, glaring, and I pull out of the parking space before the cameras can get close enough.

“Where the hell are we going?” he demands.

I contemplate just ignoring him, but decide to give him something. “Away from here where we can have a talk.”

He scowls, the expression darkening his surprisingly pretty features. “Don’t scowl pretty boy.” I say, smirking when his expression darkens even further. I swerve suddenly, returning my attention to the road and dodging a car I’d not noticed.

“Holy-” Chanyeol chokes out, obviously terrified by my driving.

I smirk, and press down on the accelerator, speeding down the motorway and causing Chanyeol to press back in his seat. “Woah, you’re crazy!” he says in a panicked tone. “How did I even get into this situation?”

I let out a laugh and brake, turning a corner and causing Chanyeol to slam into the door as I handle the car perfectly, I turn again before skidding to a halt in an empty service station parking lot. “Woah! Where did you learn to drive like that?” he gasps out. I roll my eyes, “natural skill my friend, natural skill.”

I turn in my seat to look at him, watching him catch his breath. I narrow my eyes, leaning forward and watching him cringe back in his seat.


You may want to hunt me down now, but please don't...

Leave a comment instead? XD

Anyway, Spain was fun, but I'm glad to be home again :D :D