Chapter 34

Bodyguard

Hi people, I left this a bit longer than I'd planned, but it's here now. Sorry for the wait. I hope you enjoy this chapter. I've just blazed through some necessary bits of the plot and then we'll be on to less stressful things :D

Please leave a comment letting me know if you like it or not :)

2978 words. (A little short I know but >_<)


 

Tao's POV

Less than a week later, after learning that Yuan was proclaimed guilty to the accused crimes specifically related to us, we're waiting together along with Kris's father in a room just outside the hall for our press conference.

 

It will be a long wait before Yuan is given a full sentence because there are other crimes that need to be considered and other witnesses to call up, but we now have a fragment of closure and must now just wait until he's put in prison.

 

Today is the day we give the media and therefore the public an explanation for our mysterious disappearance, or more accurately Kris's as he's really the person they're interested in.

 

We've discussed with Kris's father and have decided that if the question arises, which it no doubt will, that we will confirm our relationship. There's no point denying it really, considering the way we've been affectionate in public, and although it may damage our business for a while, neither of us like the idea of being together in secret and having to hide our feelings for each other.

 

It's better to be honest now and wait for people to get over it than lie and have people find out in a few years. At least we're not idol stars or actors; we can still have an element of privacy if we go public.

 

We're seated together on a sofa, drinking our respective waters and mentally preparing for what's to come; Kris's father will give a statement at the beginning of the conference, with a general explanation and then afterwards we just need to answer the questions directed at us.

 

Kris shifts closer and prods my leg softly when I make no move to acknowledge him. I jerk out of my thoughts and shoot him a sheepish smile.

 

He returns my smile, saying, ''if they ask you a question that you're uncomfortable answering, just say so or nudge me and I'll try and do it for you. Ok?''

 

I nod gratefully, ''the same to you.''

 

His smile widens and he reaches over to pull me into a tight hug before pulling back and taking a large gulp of water, letting out a sigh and making a show of psyching himself up dramatically.

 

I laugh at his immature behaviour and push away some of my nerves as I do so. I smile fondly as he turns to speak to his father for a moment. He always knows how to make me feel better.

 

As we're given our five minute warning, I release a deep breath and turn to look out of the window at the sun shining through the trees in the yard of the building. I focus on the way the sunlight filters through the leaves instead of the thought of the many cameras, journalists and businessmen that await us on the other side of the large wooden door on my right.

 

I'm mainly worried about being asked something insensitive like exactly what Yuan's men did to me, even though I know Kris would say something immediately to tell them to ask something else, but once I start thinking about what happened, and start remembering in detail, it's hard for me to tear my thoughts away and I start sinking into a dark place in my mind where I shut everything out; in a similar way to how I coped with being bullied in high school.

 

My psychologist from back then, that I'd visited for a while during the time I spent here in China before I went to England, told me I needed to find something healthy, like a hobby, that I could use to help train myself not to return to my dark thoughts when my mind starts focussing on my bad experiences.

 

Martial arts and exercise have been my way of doing that, but I can't exactly run to the nearest gym if someone asks me a question that upsets me. I'll just have to rely on Kris and hope that the journalists are sensible, though when does the media ever understand boundaries.

 

I'm wrenched from my anxious thoughts by the sound of an attendant telling us to head through to the main room.

 

Kris gives my hand a comforting squeeze, letting go just before we walk onto the platform, bow to the mass of people present, and take our seats. 

 

I start to tense up as I gaze out at the sea of reporters and force myself to relax, reminding myself that I just need to be honest and polite, and that I can refuse to answer something if I don't like it.

 

There are reporters here from various countries and I recognise the logos on the equipment for the Korean news companies on one side of the room. We will not need to give another statement in Korea because this will be translated and no doubt replayed and analysed on Korean news and business channels.

 

Cameras flash and I can see the huge news cameras recording us as Kris's father begins his statement. He explains that he'd been involved with a man in the past, Zhang Yuan, that their acquaintance had gone sour and recently he'd attempted to get his own back by taking Kris and I away to China against our will and mistreating us.

 

He withholds the details, just giving a vague outline of what happened.

 

There are a few questions directed towards Kris's father, but inevitably the attention turns to us. We're taken by surprise at how early the more personal questions start though.

 

''Can you clarify your relationship with Mr Huang Zitao?'' asks a reporter that I eventually recognise as one I'd pissed off all that time ago, when I accompanied Kris for the first time to his business presentation. I'd interrupted the questioning process, saving Kris from further discomfort, when this specific reporter had asked something that wasn't appropriate in a business conference of that type.

 

I turn my head to face Kris and listen as he replies ''Tao is my bodyguard.''

 

I mask my amusement as I notice the mischievous look in his eyes and I realize that he wants to make this as annoying as possible for this reporter, forcing him to keep digging.

 

''Is your relationship simply that of a man and his bodyguard, or is there more to it than that?''

 

Kris nods along understandingly, before saying, ''Tao saved my life multiple times, so of course he's more than just my Bodyguard. Can you be more specific?''

 

I see the reporter grit his teeth in irritation, slightly lifting his head and staring hard at Kris as though he expects him to lie. ''Are you and Mr Huang Zitao there,'' he says nodding in my direction, ''in a romantic relationship?''

 

Kris glances at me, meeting my eyes and I quirk the side of my mouth up into a faint, encouraging smirk. It's probably better that he's the one to confirm our relationship as he's the one with the power over the media, but it's also harder for him because he's always been seen as straight and this is basically him coming out.

 

A slight smile forms on his face as he stares back at me for a moment.

 

Suddenly he focuses back on the reporter, seemingly having gained more confidence.

 

''Yes, yes we are.''

 

There is a flurry of voices as reporters fight to be heard after Kris drops that bombshell. We watch in silence and eventually Kris's father raises a hand, effectively silencing the lot of them.

 

''One question at a time,'' he says in a tone that a father would use on his children.

 

It's easy to resist the urge to laugh at his subtle mockery of their desperation to be the one to ask the important questions as I fight to ignore the faces I see that are twisted with barely concealed disgust.

 

I'm actually surprised by the number of faces that aren't looking at us in disgust, but among those I can see some business men with calculating looks in their eyes. They know that our stocks are going to drop after this revelation, however, I'm confident that our international connections will reduce some of the impact.

 

In many western countries, a businessman is unlikely to care if the son of some rich business man from China happens to be gay. It's not overly important to them. In asian countries however, your image is incredibly important and ours will now be 'tainted'.

 

I believe that with time, if we show that we're good at what we do, Kris more specifically, this will become less of an issue for people. Anyway, times are changing; who knows, maybe this will have less effect on us than we think.

 

One female reporter raises her hand and asks, ''how long have you been in a relationship.''

 

I see no malice in her eyes and have no objection when Kris thinks for a moment before replying, ''since soon after the incident when Tao pushed me from the path of a car and was hit instead of me. I'm sure you can work out how long ago that was.''

 

I can hear the underlying pain in his voice as he recalls that time and I subtly reach out under the table to place a hand on his thigh. I can feel him relax a little and smile when he glances at me gratefully.

 

Kris father raises a hand again, redirecting the topic of questioning when the reporters become too insensitive and nosy; ''their relationship is a private affair and there are no more details that should be made public knowledge.''

 

After that, the questions move through the subject of our abduction and imprisonment. We manage to keep the details to ourselves but their questions are quite insensitive on occasion and there are a few moments where I catch myself uncomfortably rubbing my wrists where my scars are hidden under the fabric of my black suit; a habit I've developed when I start thinking about things I'd rather forget. Kris notices eventually and takes my hand under the table, holding it firmly and comfortingly.

 

Once we've made it through the questions on our experience, the topic shifts to that of our businesses.

 

We explain that we have no plan or intention as of right now to merge our businesses and I make it clear that I do not plan to take over my family business any time soon and that the plan is for me to remain as a bodyguard for Kris. Eventually I will leave this job and start to take on responsibilities in the company, however now is not the time for me, and spending time in the Wu corporation would provide me with valuable experience.

 

We're taken by surprise when we're asked about Yuan's business, or more specifically how Lay will be involved in that.

 

''It's not really our place to comment on this however I would like to say that Lay and his mother have our full support and that neither of them were involved in what happened to us. It's still early days, however I doubt there will be a huge change to the business as Mrs Zhang was doing a large amount of the work even before this happened. Please give them both support through this difficult time.''

 

It's Kris who answers that question and I nod in agreement. I hope they will heed his words and not make life even harder for Lay and his mother by producing hateful press on them.

 

Eventually the press conference starts drawing to a close; the reporters having dragged everything out of us that we’re willing to reveal.

 

I’m relieved when we can finally leave and escape from all the attention. I’ve always disliked being the centre of attention; since high school where I just wanted to blend into the shadows. Being up on the stage in front of all of those cameras is not my idea of fun.

 

We manage to leave the building through the VIP exit and we’re in the car driving away before anyone can make it close enough to try and ask us anything more.

 

The car is silent for a while, Kris’s father checking over his schedule in the front of the car, and Kris and I taking a quiet moment to simply run through the last hour in our head and reflect on what happened.

 

Personally, I’m as satisfied as I think I could be with the outcome of the press conference, and a glance over at Kris confirms that he is of the same mind as me.

 

He feels my gaze on him and looks over, smiling gently when he meets my eyes. He reaches over and tenderly laces our fingers together, squeezing softly before leaning his head back on the head rest and closing his eyes.

 

I turn my head to look out of the window, watching the buildings whiz past, and am unable to keep the smile off my face. It’s stupid to worry about it really, but somewhere in the back of my mind I’d been anxious that Kris would regret revealing our relationship when he saw the disgust on the faces of many of the people present.

 

I know it was a stupid to even think that when he’s never shown any sign of being ashamed of us since we got together, but still, he hasn’t been exposed to the hate that people can receive for being gay like I have.

 

I’m content to let my worries slip away as I stare out at the city, people hurrying from one place to another, the streets packed with shoppers and people on lunch break. Speaking of lunch, I’m hungry, and my stomach chooses that moment to announce that to the other people in the car.

 

I glare at Kris, even though his eyes are still closed, when I notice his shoulders shaking in a slight chuckle. After a moment, he sits up a bit and opens his eyes, glancing over at me and laughing when he sees my angry, embarrassed face.

 

“Dad,” he says, “I think we need to stop off somewhere to eat. If you drop us off in town we can get back to the house on our own.”

 

Kris’s father looks up from his phone, twisting around in his seat to face us. “Ok, don’t stay out too late, you still need to pack for your flight this evening remember.”

 

I watch in amusement as Kris nods; getting a glimpse of his role as an obedient son, even though he’s not a child anymore. It’s strange for me sometimes, watching him interact with his father. I’m so used to seeing him be in charge and then when his father is present, it’s as though he suddenly becomes the inexperienced one taking the orders.

 

After his father turns back around and starts giving a new destination to the driver, Kris turns his attention back to me. He narrows his eyes suspiciously at my expression but eventually dismisses it when I shrug in mock innocence.

 

A few minutes pass and then we’re pulling up outside a small restaurant. Kris and I climb out, leaving our suit jackets in the car in favour of looking less formal and more casual, and say goodbye to Kris’s father, who I’m pretty sure has a lunch meeting with a business associate and so will not be accompanying us.

 

I turn to Kris with a bright smile as the car disappears from view, reaching out and taking his hand. He seems slightly surprised at my good mood and sudden affection but if the smile that spreads on his face is any indication, he’s happy about it.

 

He gives my hand a gentle tug and we head up the steps into the restaurant. It’s quiet inside, and not as posh as the restaurants that Kris’s family usually visit, however I like it, maybe even more, as it has a traditional, more homely feel to it.

 

We’re led over to a table in the corner of the room, where it’s more private and where we can look out of the window at the restaurant gardens.

We order quickly, both quite hungry after an early start this morning.

 

Talking quietly, we discuss plans for a get together when we get back to Korea. It will be nice to see everyone again when we’re in a state in which we can finally relax.

 

It’s nice to just chat about anything as we eat, rather than our conversations being focussed on the court case and then the press conference. It’s strange to think that soon we will be back to work, Kris back in the office and me as his bodyguard; we’ll be right back where we started really.

 

My phone buzzes and when I check it, I see that Luhan has texted me, asking how we are after the press conference. It’s nice to hear from him so quickly, showing that he cares about us, and I force Kris to pose next to me for a selca that I send back with the message ‘feeling relieved’.

 

We eventually leave the restaurant when Kris’s driver arrives, and head back to his house. We need to pack for our trip to Korea, however we still have a few hours so there’s not too much pressure.

 

We chat as we toss things into our suitcases; there isn’t really that much to pack because we only brought the minimum amount with us when we came over from Korea.

 

We enjoy a quick dinner with Kris’s parents in the late afternoon, and then we’re off to go to the airport. We’d arranged a flight back so soon after the press conference because we’re both eager to get back to our place in Korea; it’s become our home really.

 

Security helps us get through the crowds of paparazzi and then, once we’re through customs, we’re given some space and we pass the time chatting in the VIP waiting area until our gate number appears on the screens and we can head to catch our plane.

 

I’m eager for this flight, feeling content as we climb up the steps into first class. Korea here we come.

 


There we go, I hope you liked it. It was a little short I know, but I thought this bit should be a chapter in itself and I should keep their arrival back in Korea for the next chapter.

Anyway, I will be addressing other 'couples' in some of the upcoming chapters and tying up loose ends as I gradually bring this story to a close. Please be patient and I will try not to disappoint you <3

Please leave a comment, or upvote or whatever you feel is appropriate. I really love comments though, just saying XD *hint hint*

So yeah... thank you to everyone for reading this and not abandoning me <3 I love you all <3