Chapter 13

Bodyguard

Hi people, I can't remember how late this update is, but I'm sure it's pretty late so sorry about that. We went to see bull running the other night with some random people that happen to be here in Spain too, and then last night we kinda gate crashed a street party, except it was really cool and there was practically a concert going on. I think it was in honour of St Pedro or something. Anyway, yep I've been going out more so it's taken longer than normal to get this done. Sorryyyyyyyyy...

By the way, I think the internet here is going to run out at the end of this month, cos we only bothered to pay for a month of it here. I get back to England on the 7th so sorry if there's a week with no update, it's not because I don't love you anymore XD

Anway, enjoy and pleaseeee leave a comment if you have time :) <3

Oh, and I can't believe I've now got over 100 subs, that is insane and I screamed when I saw it. I love you all <3


Thursday

I wake up to the sound of my alarm going off. It’s 6:30 and I drag myself out of bed, feeling poorly rested and tired. I’d slept badly due to the nightmares, so I grab some sweatpants and head out of my room hoping to wake myself up. I head quietly up to the roof, taking with me the radio I’d found on my cupboard this morning. I assume Kris has the other one, so he can contact me instantly if needed.

I forgo my music and do my exercise in silence, listening to my regular breathing and the sounds of the city coming to life. I spend just under 45 minutes out there before deciding to head back inside. I feel much more awake now than when I woke up, but I’m sure the bags under my eyes will be dark and obvious. I only hope Kris doesn’t take notice of them.

As I walk down the corridor back towards my room, I hear a sound to my left and turn to see the door to Kris’s room opening. I feel vaguely like a deer caught in the headlights as he lifts his head to look at me whilst stepping out. He’s dressed already, and his eyes widen slightly as he takes in my appearance. I feel self-conscious as his eyes sweep over my body. I’m only dressed in sweatpants, wearing no shirt due to the heat of summer, and I’m dripping in sweat.

“What were you doing?” he asks, swallowing and not bothering to hide his confusion.

“Exercising, on the roof,” I reply, waving my hand vaguely in the direction of the roof.

He stares at me silently for a moment before saying, “you shouldn’t work out on the roof it will draw attention to your presence. There are many buildings surrounding this one that have more floors and therefore people can see you.”

I open my mouth to protest, but he puts his hand up to stop me, sending a glare my way, whilst leaning back into his room and grabbing something from a draw near his door. He tosses me a bunch of key cards. “These give access to all the floors and rooms in this building. Don’t under any circumstances lose this. You should keep it somewhere safe.”

He pauses and I’m about to ask what this has to do with my exercising, when he continues, “the third floor is my gym. You can use it rather than doing your workout on the roof.”

He does not bother waiting for me to reply, but walks off, heading towards the kitchen. I force my feet to move and head past his room and into mine. I toss the key cards into the draw by my bed, before heading into my bathroom for a shower. I lock the door behind me, suddenly nervous again about Kris’s presence after that weird encounter.

I brush my teeth and shower as quickly as I can before grabbing a towel and drying myself. I wrap it around my waist before heading back into my room and grabbing some clothes, tossing them onto my bed whilst drying my hair. I dress quickly and spend a minute in front of my mirror, cringing at how dark the bags under my eyes are.

I’ve got fifteen minutes before we’re due to leave and I head into the kitchen after grabbing my phone and wallet. Kris is eating at the table and glances up as I walk in. I’m suddenly nervous and decide not to make eye contact, instead heading over to the cupboard and searching for a bowl and some cereal.

In the end, Kris mutters “top left,” and I pause before going over there and opening that cupboard. Inside I find the cereal. I take it out quietly, before starting the whole process again, this time trying to find bowls.

I freeze when I heard the sound of a chair being pushed back behind me. I feel Kris standing behind me and tense up when he reaches past me to open a cupboard to my right. He pulls out a bowl, setting it on the side, and then opens a draw to my left. He places a spoon by my bowl, before nudging the cereal in my direction and heading to the fridge to get some milk.

“Hurry up, or we’ll be late,” he mutters.

I stare at the assembled items for a moment as he walks out of the room, before snapping back in control and quickly mixing it all, heading to the table to eat as fast as I can. Kris walks back in after a few minutes and I set the bowl in the sink before grabbing my shoes and joining him at the elevator.

Amazingly, we arrive at work on time. I discover that Kris actually spends more time out of his office than in it. He seems to get fidgety when sitting for too long at his desk. He works quickly and efficiently and generally works through the papers on his desk at record speed, before he heads out to check up on the other people on the next floor down.

It surprises me how much pride he seems to take in his work. He pays attention to the smallest details, and knows how to interact with his employees to ensure the best outcome. His people skills are good, I notice, which takes me some time to accept seeing as when I’d been at school with him, they’d been decidedly bad.

We get home late that evening, after going to a restaurant for dinner, the day having gone by pretty similarly to the previous one. As we walk into the lounge, Kris dumping his jacket over the arm of a sofa before sitting down and turning on the TV, I pick up the courage to ask; “is it possible for me to have tomorrow night off? I’ve been invited to meet up with some friends from Uni.”

Kris looks at me silently for a long torturous moment before saying, “I have plans tomorrow night. You can have the evening off if you drive me to my friend’s house first.”

I nod, relieved. That seems reasonable. Although I have a feeling he’s saying yes so he get rid of me tomorrow. “What time do you want to be dropped off?”

“About 7:30.”

“Ok, that’s good,” I reply, before standing awkwardly for a few seconds and then saying “good night” and heading into my room. Twenty minutes later I collapse on my bed, wriggling under the covers, phone in hand. I text Jongin, letting him know I can definitely make tomorrow, before closing my eyes and attempting to catch up on some sleep.

I only wake up a few times in the night, the nightmare coming less frequently, and in the morning I feel better than I have in days.

 

Friday

I drive Kris to his friend’s house after work. We’re silent on the way, the atmosphere having become awkward when Kris choked on his drink after seeing what I’m wearing. Since I’m going to a club, a posh club but a night club all the same, I’m dressed in tight, ripped, black skinny jeans, a loose fitting tank top, and short black and red boots. I’ve done my eyes, remembering how often I’ve seen Baekhyun and his eyeliner, and I’m pretty proud of myself for having done such a good job.

 

I arrive slightly early, relieved when I spot Jongin and Kyungsoo already there too. I head over to the table where they’re sat and we chat for a while as we wait for the others to arrive. I pretend I don’t notice what’s going on under the table, and grin in welcome when Joonmyun finally gets here and I can stop feeling like a third wheel. Luhan and Sehun are the last to get here, arriving fashionably late, and it feels like I'm a student again as I look around the table.

I don’t mention my new job, and luckily Jongin seems to have forgotten about it for now. I get Baekhyun’s approval on my eyeliner and smirk to myself, secretly proud that my first attempt turned out ok.

It’s Sehun that first notices Kris. I lift my eyes to look to my left when he gestures, an uncomfortable expression on his face, and see him across the room, sitting in the corner with some people I don’t know. I don’t think he’s seen me yet, so I turn away, deciding to ignore him seeing as this is my time off.

What’s he doing here? Seriously, how did we manage to both choose the same place to go out to during the first time we get some time away from each other? And why didn't he tell me he wasn't staying at someone's house? I guess he really hates my presence.

It’s an hour before anything interesting happens. I’m chatting to Jongin when Baekhyun stands up, his face suddenly darkening. I glance at him in surprise and turn to see what he’s looking at, only to find Kris standing there.

“Stay away from Tao!” Baekhyun hisses, standing protectively in front of me. Kris’s expression changes fractionally before he turns his gaze upon me. I meet his eyes, cringing inwardly, and stand up, putting my hand on Baekhyun’s shoulder. “It’s ok; he just needs to talk to me. Go sit back down, it’s fine.”

Baekhyun’s eyes widen in shock and confusion and I give him a look that says ‘I’ll tell you everything later’. He frowns slightly before complying. I ignore the confused stares of my friends and walk up to Kris, leaning in close so I can hear him over the loud music.

He tells me about a schedule change for tomorrow and how I can have the day off, “you don’t need to worry about getting back by two am. I plan on staying out late, I might not come home at all tonight, so don’t bother checking up on me.”

I nod to let him know I’ve understood, “text me when you get home, or when you get to somewhere for the night, so I'll know you’re safe.”

He nods, expression telling me he doesn’t think I really give a damn whether he’s ok or not, before glancing behind me at Sehun.

I return to my seat next to Baekhyun as Sehun goes up to Kris for a quick word. I notice Jongin shifting uncomfortably, gripping Kyungsoo’s hand, and I remember the story I’d been told of how they got together.

I glance up at Sehun when he gets back, trying to think of a way to fill Baekhyun in without him killing me for putting myself in such a situation.

As I look up at Sehun’s face, I notice something behind him. I watch as someone slips out of the crowd of dancers and heads after Kris. It's his suspicious stance that catches my eye before I notice something glinting in his hand and make out a knife. It’s a Chinese style blade and I realise it’s probably one of the people who’ve been after Kris.

I’m out of my seat the moment I see the knife, and move quickly towards him. I get to him just as he reaches out to grab Kris. I see Kris tense as a hand closes around his neck, but before he can react I’ve already got a hold on the man’s arm. I haul his arm, and subsequently the knife, away from Kris, causing his body to twist and enabling Kris to slip free.

Once I’ve got him away from Kris I focus on disabling him. He doesn’t seem to be trained in high level martial arts, swinging the knife at me with no real confidence, and I’m sure I can take him, even if he has a knife.

I face him as he runs at me, slashing wildly, and I move back, dodging his wild swinging and waiting for the right moment. When it arrives I lash out, one hand gripping his forearm and twisting hard whilst the other slams into his fist. This sends the knife flying to the floor.

Over the music I faintly notice people screaming, but I remain focused. I block incoming punches before ducking under one attack and spinning behind him. I kick him in the back of his knees and they buckle, sending him to the floor. I move quickly, kneeing him in the back before grabbing his flailing right arm and twisting it behind his back, causing him to cry out in pain, and mashing his face into the floor.

I place one knee on his back to further restrict his movement, before looking up and scanning the room for security. I let out a sigh of relief when I spot two uniformed officers moving through the crowd towards me, someone must have called them in from outside; there had been police outside when I’d arrived. I twist his arm harder when he attempts to kick back at me, which causes him to cry out again and stop struggling so much.

As I wait for help, I notice that most of the people who’d been dancing have now stopped and are staring at us. I glance behind me at Kris who’s staring down at me in shock. I can’t decipher the emotions in his eyes so I nod towards his friends in the corner, wanting to get him out of the spot light of attention as soon as possible.

He hesitates, glancing at the man underneath me as though worried I might get attacked or something. I press the man’s arm harder and he squirms again, unable to move without hurting himself, and tilt my head at Kris as if to say, seriously, I’ve got this.

He glances up at the two police officers who’ve now arrived. He steps up, having a quick word with them, probably explaining who he is and what happened, before heading back over to his table where his friends have been sitting and staring in concern.

“We’ll take him now sir,” one policeman says.

I shift my weight slightly, revealing his wrists, and they cuff him quickly, securing his arms behind his back. I stand up, moving back and watching as they tug him upright. He turns his head and glares at me.

I narrow my eyes at the violence I see in his eyes, and I’m suddenly very relieved that I got to him before he got Kris because I’m sure he would have killed him without hesitation. I decide not to think why that thought effects me so much considering I’m meant to hate Kris.

The crowd disperses as the man is led away and I head over to my friends to wait for the hype to die down. As I take my seat, panicked voices coming from all sides, I fix my eyes on Kris, unwilling to look away as I’m afraid that if I turn my attention away from him for a moment, someone else might turn up to get him.

I raise a hand, effectively stopping the stream of questions, and flick my eyes to them for barely a second before I look back at Kris. They lean forward so they can all hear me, and I explain as quickly and simply as I can that I’m working as a bodyguard and that the person I happen to have got a job protecting is Kris.

My eyes widen slightly as Kris turns to look at me, obviously having dealt with the questions coming from his group, and I turn to my friends. I take in their worried expressions and smile slightly. “I’m ok, don’t worry about me, but I’m sorry this has happened. It’s kind of ruined our evening together hasn’t it?”

I turn to Baekhyun, “I’ll ring you when this is cleared up and explain everything properly, but right now I have to Kris out of here.”

Baekhyun doesn’t look happy but he nods, accepting that I have a job to do, and squeezes my hand before letting go and allowing me to leave. I glance around at them all, before giving them a small smile, letting them know I’m really doing ok.

I turn and make my way towards Kris. I glance around at his friends and then back at him as I approach and he stands, excusing himself, and obviously choosing for once to make things easier for me and letting me avoid meeting them all.

I notice him relax visibly once I reach him, obviously feeling safer now that I’m there, and try to hide my smirk; I guess he does need me after all.

 

As I drive back, I listen to Kris talking rapidly into his phone. He’s describing what happened to the person on the other end and is arranging for a lawyer and various other people he seems to know, to get the man put in prison.

When he’s finished the call, we’re arriving back home. As I park the car in the basement, Kris decides to speak.

“Thank you, for doing that back there.”

I glance at him in surprise, and I’m even more surprised at the slight blush on his face which I attribute to being someone who’s never needed to thank anyone before. “You don’t need to thank me, I was just doing my job,” I reply, feeling slightly awkward.

I feel a strange twist in my stomach as I see the small flicker of disappointment in his expression at those words, before his face darkens slightly. He nods before getting out of the car and heading towards the stairs. I watch him go, choosing to wait a moment to avoid an awkward elevator ride together, but then a strange worry slams into me and I’m out of the car in a flash.

I head up the stairs quickly, and hide my face as relief washes over me when I see Kris inside the elevator with the doors closing. What was that about? I wonder to myself, taking deep breaths. I decide to blame the strain of the situation back at the club, and get in the lift once it’s dropped Kris off.

Once I reach the fourth floor, I head into my room, feeling tired now from the rush of emotion and adrenaline caused by Kris being attacked. I fall asleep quickly, and tonight my usual nightmares don’t come, instead replaced by ones of Kris being killed right in front of me whilst I’m unable to move.

 

I wake up once again, but this time I don’t remember having a nightmare to cause this. I glance at the clock on my cupboard and see that it’s 3:27. I’m about to go back to sleep, when I hear a sound. It sounds like a muffled groan. Then I hear the sound of bed sheets rustling vigorously from Kris’s room. I leap out of bed when I hear him yell out in fear, and I’m in his room in seconds.

The sight I’m greeted with is not the one I was expecting; there are no attackers in here, only Kris, drenched in sweat and writhing on his sheets.

Recognising these symptoms due to my own experience, I realise he’s having a nightmare. I rush over, unsure what to do, after always being the one having the nightmares, but in the end I sit on the bed next to him, gripping his arm to stop him flailing about and hurting himself, and tentatively his damp hair.

This calms him down some, but the moment I take my hand away, his now innocent and surprisingly cute face crumples into a frown again, and he starts trembling. I decide to wake him up and give him a light shake, “Kris, wake up, it’s only a dream. Kris.”

My voice seems to do the trick as his eyes suddenly snap open, meeting my gaze, and I watch the confusion and fear drain out of them when he recognises me. Embarrassment takes its place eventually, after we stare at each other for a while, and he shrugs out of my grip. “I’m fine,” he mutters, “you can go.”

I stand up, knowing full well he’s probably not fine at all, but start leaving reluctantly. I push away thoughts of why I even care, and say over my shoulder, “I’m in my room if you need me.”

As I clamber back into bed, I cringe at the realisation that I just gave Kris an invite to my room. As I fall asleep, I wonder what it was that he was dreaming about. Logically it would be the attack from last night. I’m glad I got there in time.


Ok :) Let me know what you thinkkkk <3